Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 15 December 2017
This story is set in Malaya in 1941, in the lead up to the bombing of Pearl Harbour and the invasion of Malaya by the Japanese. Connie is trapped in an unhappy marriage with Nigel, a wealthy rubber plantation owner. As events unfold the reader is taken on richly woven roller coaster of emotions and I was immersed in the sounds, pictures and culture of a country I know little about.
Connie is a complex character who is pushed to the limit as she tries to protect her son and escape the unrelenting march of the Japanese during World War II.
This was a real page turner for me, I loved Connie and was willing her on despite the fact that I was frustrated with her at times. My favourite of the 3 Kate Furnivall novels I have read - highly recommended!
on 18 June 2017
This is a very atmospheric book, one can feel the wealth,privilege and arrogance of the plantation owner contrasting hughly with the poverty of Malaysia in the 1940's. There were so many characters in this book but not too many to like! I admired the character Kitty very much, partner of Madoc. Much as I tried, I could not warm to Connie, wife of the plantation owner. The descriptions of a few different situations in the jungle were pretty gruesome. All in all, worth a read but lacking in historical facts so one always felt it was just a story.
on 21 May 2017
I liked the book it kept me interested but it is a work of fiction nothing in the book bears and truth to reality of what happened but it is worth reading
on 3 June 2017
Very good book
on 8 December 2017
very pleased
on 18 July 2017
Have read a few of Kate's books and enjoyed them all . Had me hooked from the beginning.
on 24 September 2017
A good story but a bit surreal in places.
on 3 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, the first I've read by Kate Furnivall. I shall be checking for other novels by this author.
on 4 July 2012
This romantic suspense filled fiction transports the reader back in time to WW11 when the Japanese invaded Malaya shortly after their attack on Pearl Harbour. The British forces were soon overpowered, panic and chaos amongst the people erupted everywhere. One of Malaya's wealthiest rubber plantation owners, the Hadley's, with some of their closest friends decide there only chances of survival is to escape to Singapore on their private yacht the "White Pearl". The epic highlights their struggle on the open sea and their fear when they learn their original destination has also become a target and has lost its status as a safe haven. Their only option is to seek refuge on a small island and hope the terrors of war will not reach them.

The author's great imagination is her strong suit. A lot of attention has been put in detailing the scene, conveying the culture, the political diversities and the language. Her writing portrays the time, the place and the mood exceptionally well. The story is mainly told in the third person and the plotting is quite diversified. It is a war time tale of betrayal, survival, the quest for love and freedom, also the price paid to enjoy some of the perks we take for granted today. As a side bar in the form of flashbacks the author covers Connie Hadley's affair with a Japanese businessman before the war. The pacing is slow and steady, the characterization although diverse lacks in realism at times, some of the players were under developed and others dragged on a little too much.

This is a fairly light and entertaining novel, however having read others from this writer I would not consider it one of her best, all that said and done I did enjoy it for what it is.
on 5 February 2013
I love this writer, so I decided to order this book for its very low price (even if I pay more for deliver price, not being british). I'm really looking foward to reading it!