Making Mirrors
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 April 2012
I, like many people I guess, came across Gotye after hearing his number one single "Somebody That I Used To Know". People expecting an album of this Eighties' inspired track are likely to be disappointed as Gotye is much more than a one trick pony! He dips in and out of various eras and genres for inspiration and track 6 "I Feel Better" is golden era Motown meeting Cee-lo Green and a warm summery day and is probably my favourite track on the album.

The music on the album can at times seem a little too keen on electro/dance inspiration, and the use of pipes/flutes can seem at first a little awkward, but on the whole the joyous nature of the tunes wins out and you can't help but enjoy it. Even the slower, more melancholy tracks like "Bronte" are so beautiful you can't help smiling a little. Give the tracks a second listen and you'll hear much they start to gel.

As I always say, Youtube is the way to discover to whether or not you like an album's worth of an artist whose music is an ecletic mix of genres and eras. Worth buying and hope you'll enjoy the album as much as me.
on 4 May 2012
After a decade and a half of "Lady Gaga" I had lost interest in music, maybe due to laziness, who knows but then suddenly I hear this guy "Gotye" on VH1 and I am immediatetly transferred back to the 80:s and early 90:s when you could still discover new *music* on the charts. Bought his two last albums and I am almost blown away, maybe I have now found a new generation replacement to old heroes like Peter Gabriel, I mean... I would have been glad to pay 2-3 times the album cost for the song "Save me" alone, this guy is a genius with harmonies and arrangements! I have still to tune in to the rest of the tracks but this is already a must-buy.
7 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2013
I discovered Gotye quite by accident having heard "Smoke And Mirrors" played as backing music on "Suits", when my immediate thought was it was a "Panic at the Disco" track I was hearing for the first time. But a little research brought me to Gotye, and what a discover he's been.

If like me you always loved performers that refuse to fit into any kind of slot, then you too will be captivated by Gotye. Every track is and exciting new discovery. It's along while since I had an album where at the end of every track I ask my MP3 player to repeat it, and again, before thinking- no let's see what the naext track's like, if there's a downside it's that then many of these will go round and round in your head for days.

If you like the odd and unusual, give it a try, I promise you'll not be disappointed.
on 29 April 2012
Been hearing Somebody That I used to Know for about three months on the work radio, finally by pure chance bumped into the same song on VH-1 about two weeks ago, and finally had a name to track down. Came straight here and ordered the album, and pretty much it hasn't left my CD player since.

The first listen other than Somebody That I used to Know, I was hmm, not sure. Picked up Lana Del Ray on the strength of Born to Die, but felt the rest of the album was poor, so was worried it might be the same.

However something caught my ear in Save me, Bronte, Eyes wide open and State of the Art that raised my interest, where as little else on Born to Die could say the same. So I keapt listening through the whole album rather than just listen to the favoured track. I have to say the album has its moments anyways, but it is certainly a grower, after two weeks, those four I now consider stand out songs alongside Somebody, as well as Easy way out, In your light and Giving me a chance.

The others are also good, on my media player all the ones I have mentioned so far I rate as five stars, the rest are fours. Its an excellent album, I highly recommend it to anyone. He's up there with Brandon Flowers amazing Flamingo album, Own the Night by Lady Antebellum and Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters, for one of my favourite albums of the past twelve months or so.

So much so, I have just ordered the previous album, Like drawing blood, and hope good things from it as well.

This guy has amazing talent, I can only hope we see more from him in the future.
on 29 January 2015
Enjoyable album, I would agree with the viewer who likened Gotye to a modern day Peter Gabriel, in fact it was that review which led me to buy the album. As with other reviewers opinions if you are expecting a lot of songs on a similar par to Someone I used to know then you may be disappointed. This albums contains lots of different styles and ideas and I enjoyed it so much I got the previous album Like drawing blood which is another good album.
on 11 December 2012
I've had this in my car for the entire summer, it is such an amazing album which I did not expect to enjoy so much. I loved 'Somebody that I Used to Know' and was unaware of Gotye's other music, I just bought the album for the one track. So glad I listened on, my favourites range throughout the album and the mixture of sound and vocals is fabulous. I have many memories associated with each song and trips through the summer.
on 21 January 2013
When making mirrors feat Kimbra burst onto the music scene I completely bought into the hype and bought the albumn as well, it is a great albumn and I like the majority of the songs on it but after buying it when it first came out Im a bit sick of all the songs now and I dont think Ive particularly overplayed this, which never usually happens for me. Its quite a mellow, easy listening albumn, apart from perhaps one or two songs that will lift your spirits and get your bouncing about for a little while. Worth a purchase but give a few of the songs a youtube first to make sure that this style of music is definitely up your street.
on 21 January 2013
I really like this CD. I bought it for one track (Somebody That I Used To Know), like most people probably, but the others are good too. It's one of those CDs that needs to be listened to a few times and it gets better each time. There's quite a variety of styles in there too. Definately some Peter Gabriel influence going on, so if you like him I think you'll like this.
on 18 April 2012
It's strangely frustrating and even annoying when a song, (somebody that I used to know), initially doesn't impress. Then, one actually gives it the attention it warrants and realizes the qualities that both it and the album from which it is taken possess. Yes, there are apparent influences many of which have already been mentioned in other reviews, but that shouldn't give the impression of non originality.
We all learn eventually that the albums that take a few listening to before you start to appreciate their qualities often become favourites. This has become one of mine and I will certainly check out previous work by an artist that disappointingly I had not discovered earlier.
on 28 December 2017
Quality band, excellent album, what more can I say?