on 18 July 2017
Very inspiring book
on 18 December 2013
I think what John has achieved is excellent, the book went on a bit to much for me and got boring, not something that I would recommend to people to buy
on 4 April 2017
This was a spontaneous purchase as a new golf player and it kept me entertained for a good few hours but also inspired me. I started to play 2 years ago and have been told by my pro that I have the potential to reach a single handicap, which I don't quite believe as there are so many better players than me in the club. I broke 100 a couple of weeks ago and this book has inspired me to practice as much as I can and accept that i won't always improve from round to round but I can still reach my best potential. I may not train every day for a year but I believe I could reach a single handicap by next summer if I stick at it.
on 3 March 2017
As a single handicapper, break par isn't most difficult thing. The most difficult is consistency and getting the handicap down. If having the time and dedication as John, scratch handicap should be within reach.
on 11 June 2009
How many of us have dreamt of playing just one round of par golf or better, when the reality is that we are barely struggling to break 90 or 100. Well John Richardson didn't just dream about it, he actually went out there and did it!

In Dream on: The Challenge to Break Par in a Year John gives an honest account of the period during which he devoted himself to the highs and lows of trying to break par. It's awe-inspiring to read about John's rollercoaster ride throughout the 12 months of this golfing challenge where through hard work, pure determination and sheer bloody-mindedness he stuck to the discipline and succeeded triumphantly!

Evidence of what an amazing feat this was to achieve is evident in Sam Torrance's comment that John should "Dream On" and his fellow Irishman Darren Clarke telling him it would take a minimum of 3 years to achieve his break par goal.

Having been aware of John and his self-imposed golf challenge to break par some years ago I was intrigued to read this book. I've read many golf books but this was one which did not disappoint - I read it cover to cover in 2 days! In my opinion this book was a small investment which delivered not only huge performance improvements with my own golf but also helped me to deal with the mental aspects and challenges of the game.

What makes this a fascinating and easy read is John's straightforward storytelling which is laced with his fantastic Irish wit and his inspiring honesty. At the outset of his story what John lacked in golfing ability he certainly made up for with his passion for the beautiful game. Throughout the book, as well as explaining how tough this challenge was for him and those around him, he entertains us with the experiences which he encountered during his year long journey. This is a classic tale of man vs golf ball, one you won't be able to put down - I promise you!

You can take things away from this book to improve your own game. Personally I will be re-reading this whenever I feel in need of motivation - I think the book clearly confirms that we can achieve anything in life as long as we have belief in ourselves and are willing to devote time and energy to working at it.

Even if you're not an avid golf fan you will still enjoy this book. You will come away from reading it energized and motivated! I highly recommend it.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2016
I couldn't put this book down, read it all in 2 days. A real motivation for all golfers, and you can really relate to John learning about his game and the endless range sessions. His views on the mental side of golf are great, it makes you think in depth about your own game. Well worth a read, unlike other golf books you can relate to the author and it was truly inspiring. Used the putting methods and thought process already, instant improvement. Just about to read next book. Thanks John for a fantastic read, now get that film finished it will be a box office hit for us golfers.
on 22 October 2016
I loved the idea of trying for a par round within a year as the backdrop but, for me, all stories are about the evolution of the protagonist and how he or she deals with their big internal issue. I did not find that here.

Sure, there is the "they said I could not do it and so I am going to try and show them" but that is effectively the declared rational behind every challenge. I wanted to know more about the character, what was he really dealing with and how golf would help him address it. In the end it was a story about a person trying to shoot a low round of golf and a day to day description of what that entails. I was left still wondering who the author really was, why he took on the challenge and what it really taught him. Moreover, I wanted to learn something that could help me (the reason we read anything). I think the author is a deep and interesting character but for whatever reason, he holds back in this story. The golf challenge was a great vehicle for him to reveal his true self, but he never does.

That said, some good stuff in here for sure and, if you can trawl through it, there is much that resonates with a struggling golfer searching for the holy grail (all of us).
on 31 May 2017
Cracking little book, much more than just golf stories some highly thoughtful and motivational aspects to it which relate across all aspects of life.

Will help your golf game if not at least give you a good read!
on 3 September 2017
I read this in under 24 hours, it's very enjoyable and inspirational. Contains lots of interesting quotes and sources which I'll now seek out...
on 22 April 2011
Interesting book, but I was looking for much more technical info on what he actually did. The book really talks about the emotional process more than the actual swing work and practice techniques. I enjoyed the book and thought it was an amazing challenge to succeed at...but when I thought about it more I realized that with his money, free access to the range, teaching and help from numerous sources I'd be very confident of doing this myself. I've gone from 14 to 7 with nowhere near the help he has. Anyhow, still a great challenge and a good read...I just think it could have been more in detail and better done