on 12 November 2015
This is my top favourite Black Keys album next to Brothers. The tunes are infectiously catchy, with Gold on the ceiling ,being one of the best tracks on there although its very hard to narrow it down. These guys rarely write a bad song, and every single album is crammed full of hypnotic guitar riff and soulful vocals.. Im would highly recommend these guys to anyone and everyone.
on 22 February 2018
Not quite as good as I thought - it seems that my taste differs from other reviewers, I prefer the un-stripped more bluesy tracks at the end of the album rather than the, to me, more "pop" style of the early tracks. I actually think that I mistook this album for another Black Keys one (I was desperately trying to fill the £20 Amazon Prime minimum for delivery of an "add-on" item!), which I'll almost certainly purchase in the near future.
on 29 December 2011
Let me make one thing clear, before I downloaded this album, I had never heard anything by The Black Keys. Yes, I had read some good things but when I saw the album for £3.99 as a download from Amazon, I thought that I would give it a go,
As soon as I played it on Windows Media player just after I had burned it, I thought that this sounded exciting and I have been playing it ever since
After playing this album I have been reading more about the band, looking at other reviews on Amazon and have already bought three of their earlier albums. There obviously seems to be those who think that the early stuff is much better and there are points made that this album is not original and that it has been done before. You know what - I don't care. Yes, it's not that original but the songs are great and fun. All bands are influenced by others, but it it is those bands that use those influences to greater effect shine through. The Rolling Stones being the main example of this,
I really cannot fault the album. I can't say that there is one weak track. Stand outs (at the moment) are Lonely Boy, Stop Stop and Little Black Submarine.
I am surprised at myself for not discovering them earlier, but if you like great guitar bands like The Gun Club and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, then you will love this album.
Recommended
on 5 January 2017
Yet another fantastic album from the multi-talented Dan Auerbach and co. Excellent sound quality and a great set of songs. Recommended!
on 29 December 2011
To be absolutely honest, I had never heard of The Black Keys until very recently when I read a review in a weekend newspaper about their forthcoming release, "El Camino". The review was so good and as El Camino was still to be released, I decided to listen on line to their previous musical offerings and was so blown away that I immediately purchased the album "Brothers" and pre-ordered "El Camino" from Amazon.
I have to say these two guys produce some of the best music that I have heard in years. The depth/variety of the songs, the haunting guitar and rhythmic beat of the drums really create an album of real quality. I play the two albums constantly and seem to find something new every time I listen. Strangely though, the "odd song" sometimes reminds me a little of "The Hives" from back in 2001, although of course the final offering is much more professional.
on 3 January 2012
I was in San Francisco last November & the single "Lonely Boy" was being plugged on the local music station. I got hooked on that & so bought the album pre-release, blind. First impression I thought the production was faulty because the sound is quite heavily processed & compressed, BUT turn the volume up, and suddenly you have one of the most innovative rock albums in a long, long time. All El Camino album songs have a serious retro feel, but totally refreshed & with a new twist. Put this on the CD player of your convertible & drive! I can see why those who bought the earlier album Brothers might see this as a somewhat soft follow up,Brothers is a dark and atmospheric CD, but El Camino is highly listenable. Well worth the money, and highly recommended.
on 5 January 2014
El Camino is ...

1. A very good, commercial, pop rock album.
2. Much better than the overlong and unfocused 'Brothers'. 'El Camino' is a mean, lean eleven tracks and clocks in at less than forty minutes.
3. The work of three and not two men. Danger Mouse co-wrote all the songs with Dan and Pat, and his production work is really in-your-face and slick. This is not the sound of one guitarist/singer and one drummer captured on basic recording equipment.
4. A very long way from their early, raw, bluesy stuff. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is a personal matter.
on 12 July 2012
This was an accidental discovery for me - I saw a brief TV advert for the album and thought it sounded good. Well I have got into the Black Keys big time. For me the music has an earthy, rocky authentic feel - I love the scuzzy blues rock guitar sound. Since getting this album I also got their album Brothers - as you would expect it sounds similar - but the pace and timing is different - its a 'grower' - listen to it a few times and you will grow to appreciate the range of emotions and music on offer. El Camino is more up tempo and commercial than Brothers - but still maintains its integrity and is not overly commercial.

There is not a bad track on this album - amazing these days when you get an album you are lucky of two or three tracks are good.

My whole family loves this album including my eleven year old son, and eight year old daugher - its pure quality.
on 1 June 2017
Amazing music a great album a really good collection by a superb group. Definitely a excellent buy.
on 15 April 2014
I love this album. Have been playing it for the last month and can't understand why I didn't get into The Black Keys earlier. This also has to be one of my favourite ever album covers, folding out to show a selection of shabby chic vans in tired urban locations. Worth buying for tracks like Lonely Boy and Gold On The Ceiling alone as they are exceptional tracks, but there is plenty of great material here right through.