on 14 February 2017
Another Cussler book in which my attention was grabbed right from the very start. I think that it must be something to do with the historical introductions that the Cusslers use to create an interest. However that may be, it certainly worked.
On this occasion we have a distinctly Turkish interest with the Celik and Maria trying to reassert their “inheritance” to the Ottoman Empire. Additionally there are others who are seeking the wreck for financial rather than political purposes. Include in the developing plot the death of Lord Kitchener on the HMS Hampshire in 1916m something in which the Church of England may or may not have had a hand, and his apparent ownership of a mysterious document called The Manifest, the revelation of which could have great repercussions throughout the religious world, and you have a Cussler plot that can hardly go wrong. The pace is almost frenetic, but I am beginning to lose count of how many times Dirk saves the world, although not tiring of reading about him doing so. Al Giordino and Dirk’s twins, Dirk and Summer, also have their parts to play with the characters of the twins developing with each story.
Now looking forward to the next one – Poseidon’s Arrow.
on 27 February 2017
It's hard to understand the religious hatred over this small area. Let alone the strong feelings of deeds done in the distant past. Historical facts of the last 200yrs are half truths or outrageous lies. (first 5 weeks of 2017 prove my point)
Nice to see that the bad guys are just interested in money and power for a change, without delusion of a pure faith, twisted into darkness.
All Religions in its pure form is basically good. the negative bits are put there by others for reasons lost to Time. Just like old laws we laugh at now, made sense at a point, kind of. Then the nutters take a generous view a twist it.
As in this story, the actions in this story are broken down into facts proven by others. However its still difficult to understand why any of this was done in the first place... Still you are left with questions, that can't be verified.
Very enjoyable story, that tries to delve into the complex world.
on 23 December 2012
Another fine action adventure from Mr Cussler featuring the Pitt family against a megalomaniac Turk and his sister.
As another reviewer has pointed out ,despite p228 you cannot see Buckingham Palace from Lambeth Palace. It reminds me of an old Music Hall song-
Oh it really is a wery pretty garden
And Chingford to the eastward could be seen;
Wiv a ladder and some glasses,
You could see to 'Ackney Marshes,
If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

Also pp215 and 229 have an exchange of letters between Lord Kitchener and the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Archbishop begins his letter Sir and signs it Randall Davidson. The Victorians/Edwardian upper classes were sticklers for protocol.
The letter would have begun "My dear Lord Kitchener" and ended R Cantuar or Randall Cantuar.
Similarly Kitchener's letter would have started with My Dear Archbishop and not with "Excellency".
on 14 October 2013
As a semi regular reader of Cussler, usually when looking for something undemanding when on holiday, I am becoming increasingly depressed by the quality of his work.

This book must rank as one of his most disappointing. I have become used to the authors casual disregard of historic facts & reluctantly accept the need for these as a plot device but in this novel he has stretched things too far.

HMS Hampshire didn't depart from Portsmouth 3 days before it's loss -with Kitchener & his staff on board rather she left Scapa Flow 3 hours before her loss.

Similarly she really can't be described as one of the RN's most powerful ships - by 1916 it was clear that armoured cruisers were obsolete death traps for their crews.

The plot is heavily contrived, research archaeology seems to Cussler simply to be a matter of looking at a fresco, visiting a library, a few happy coincidences and even the most involved historic mystery is solved.

i do wonder how many more times the author will use the plot device of an ancient wreck found in a cave / glacier / ice sheet etc.

To mitigate, as usual the plot moves at pace & the use of Istanbul as a setting is interesting but this book really is pulp fiction suitable only to allow one to put the brain into neutral whilst passing some undemanding hours.
on 17 March 2018
Clive Cussler is perhaps. The Best author in regards of modern era adventure stories. I love how he makes the world of his stories a more exciting and knowledgeable.
on 5 December 2016
Bought this as Im a fan of the `dirk Pitt series settled down with my IPad and realised I had read it before. it didn't stop me reading it again and it was still entertaining. I know Cussler can be predictable but you get attached to his characters
on 4 August 2016
It had interesting parts but I'm afraid the time-scales for crucial moments were ridiculous...there was no way most of the action could've fitted into any of the times given. So for me it was not very convincing plus the ending was drawn-out and quite weak.
on 25 April 2017
I've read a lot of the 'Pitt' books and can honestly say they are an easy read. During the read you get calm and then you get storm. Each book seems to have it's own level. Still, I enjoy them.
on 29 July 2013
It's the same old Dirk Pitt scenario, It's still readable and fast paced with loads of action, but I think I'm just tiring of the plots I've read them all and started when I was 15, I'm now passed the half century, so I feel like I've read it before despite it being a new book. That said, it's still a good read with the familiar characters and twists and turns.
on 7 May 2018
Fine product exactly as advertised good shipping.