Customer reviews

Music Is Better Than Words
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 28 August 2012
I heard the "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" interview with Seth MacFarlane and they played a couple of tracks, I was instantly hooked. A flawless production of 30's 40's and 50's songs that are mostly unknown now. I've always loved Jazz and the big band sound; this hits the spot and more. The "Family Guy" "Road to" specials have been some of my favourite episodes, spoofs of the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby films, this is a logical extension to these.

Seth's voice is immaculate and at times you would think Sinatra is reborn. This is not surprising, as he has received voice training from two people who worked with Frank Sinatra.

I grew up with this kind of music and it comes from a more innocent time of elegance that has sadly long gone. Paradoxically really, as the "Family Guy" shows can be quite dark and acid. It's a refreshing change from half naked harpies shouting, or vulgar posturing young men.

The tunes are catchy up tempo or laid back and romantic in spades. The production is immaculate and I have read that they recorded using an old 1930's mike and analogue tapes to get the right sound.

I love every track but if I had to pick a couple of stand outs I would say " Two Sleepy People," a duet with Norah Jones and the amazingly haunting "Laura."

If well crafted, well sung big band sound is your thing then this will not disappoint. Oh, put it on late at night with the lights turned down and a bottle of wine (preferably not alone) and if you don't melt then you must be made of stone! Seth MacFarlane has been quoted as saying he didn't care if it makes a dime its just something he wanted to do. I hope it makes him a fortune.
37 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 May 2013
So I'm n older teen and I already knew Seth had one hell of a voice from Family Guy, American Dad, etc.
He inspires me so much because he's proof that one should never limit themselves to one vocation or interest. I mean, look at him! Writer, director, singer, pianist, voice actor, animator...I could go on!

This album is , unsurprisingly, very Frank Sinatra-esque. In fact, I found out it was recordered using the same microphone Sinatra himself used. Seth, in all the songs, sounds flawless (and very much like Brian ;) ) I personally loved the first few songs, but nearer the end, they become a little too slow and too similar in sound for my taste.
What I love about this album and the the reason I watch or listen to anything Macfarlane produces, is that it makes me smile. These songs may sound quite repetitive after a while, but they are definitely feel-good songs that will brighten a rainy day!

Keep going, Seth! Let there be no limits! :)
2 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2014
Anyone who's watched Seth MacFarlanes animated shows will know he has an excellent singing voice, further demonstrated in performances with the John Wilson orchestra at the BBC Proms and on their CDs.
This is best described as a love letter to the 'golden age' of recordings, when Crosby, Sinatra and Torme were at the height of their powers. The sound of the orchestra is fantastic, with some of the greatest session and band players amongst it's ranks. MacFarlane's singing is lyrical of phrase, smooth of tone and respectful to the music - without venturing into pastiche.
The arrangements are very good, with only a couple of numbers suffering from over-complication. The one slight misfire for me is the inclusion of Norah Jones on "Two Sleepy People". Miss Jones has a fantastic voice and is very successful in her own style, but really doesn't gel with MacFarlane or the style exhibited on this recording.
Otherwise this is a great CD, with several fantastic tunes, performed with a level of care and respect that is currently not levelled to music as often as it should be.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2016
Excellent selection of swing numbers here and Seth does very, very well with them.
on 20 September 2016
Superb album!
on 23 March 2017
Seth MacFarlane has the most beautiful voice. This album is absolutely brilliant.
on 19 August 2015
Seth MacFarlane what a voice, first heard him on Sinatra centenary from Albert hall and was impressed, this record fully explores his vocal range.
on 20 January 2016
LOVE IT
on 25 October 2016
If you watch family guy you know Mcfarlane can sing. This is a wonderfull album and his smoith voice is just suprising.
on 8 September 2017
Delivery was really quick and really enjoy cd.
review image