Customer reviews

Complete Live at the Manne-Hole
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 November 2013
Having already bought the "At the Blackhawk" CD's I wasn't sure that this Cd would match up - I think it is well on a par and on some tracks surpasses them! A good addition to my collection - well worth the money.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 3 January 2014
This is Shelly Manne & His men ( Shelly Manne, Chuck Berghofer, Russ Freeman, Conte Candoli and Richie Kamuca) performing at his own club in 1961 and this works very well for this band. I just got this album very recently, I had the Complete Live at the Black Hawk (although as separate albums) and was not sure if this was a necessary addition to my collection, however, my brother played the André Previn and His Pals Play West Side Story album (available on: Four Classic Albums (West Side Story / Collaboration / King Size / Pal Joey) ) when i was over at Christmas and I have been listening almost exclusively to Andre Previn and Shelly Manne since. This is a post-Previn Shelly Manne band with the brilliant Russ Freeman on piano.

In the liner notes to the 1984 album The Shelly Manne Trio in Zurich both Previn and Freeman write warmly about Shelly Manne's qualities as a man, a true friend and as a musician. I would happily recommend this album to listeners without much experience of jazz as well as fans. This is certainly not just another set of live recordings that were chucked out to cash in , this is a really nice album.

If you like this album then you will also like Boss Sounds!
3 people found this helpful