on 25 October 2009
My daughters, 5 and 7, have enjoyed all the "Daisy and the Trouble with....." books. However I would not have purchased this book if I had read it first. The story in parts is not appropriate for my children and the retelling of the Christmas story is incorrect. I have provided one example from the text so that others may make an informed choice before purchasing.
"He said, "Missssss, if Mary is Joseph's wife but she's having God's baby, does that mean she's been having an affair?"
Mrs Peters went a bit red, and said no, it didn't. It just means that God "moves in mysterious ways".
Then Jack Beechwhistle started moving in mysterious ways in his school chair."
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2012
First of all I will just say that our copy of this book didn't have the line Catherine C notes in her review, I would not have been happy about that either, they must have edited it out. As I said in the title my daughter found this book highly amusing, she loves Daisy and the fact she isn't a girly girl or a goody goody! This is the kind of book that is fun for the parents to read too so you don't feel like you are just relaying the same old plot again like with the fairy books, even I was wondering what Daisy had done, just like in the other "Trouble with .." books it is revealed at the end. The other thing I loved about this book is Daisy's belief in Santa, too many of these chapter books for very young kids talk about how the characters no longer believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy and I want to prolong the magic as long as I can.
My six year old daughter is a huge fan of the Daisy books and this is a great addition to the series. Of course, the trouble with Christmas it is is just "tOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Daisy's class at school are preparing their Christmas play and what happened was NOT Daisy's fault...

Daisy's mum thinks it's a disgrace that shops are full of Christmassy things from September, but Daisy would be happy to have Christmas all year round. Meanwhile, she is busy writing her lists to Santa, which include a bike that fires torpedoes and a skateboard with an engine - as well as a fluffy hamster and a million other things. The preparations for the Christmas play made me chuckle (Liam's dad, who said that if his son wasn't Joseph he was going to complain rang a bell!) and the hunt for a doll to be the perfect baby Jesus. Of course, the school play does not go as expected, but I imagine, if you have ever read the Daisy books before, that you would guess that.

This is a very funny book and will appeal to children of approx 6-9 years. If you are looking for more funny stories about nativity plays, I would also recommend Horrid Henry's Christmas Play (Early Reader) (HORRID HENRY EARLY READER) and The Worst Kids in the World.

on 25 April 2013
my 7 year old daughter read this during the xmas holiday.
she laughed out loud - and was compelled to read the funny bits to us! very entertaining. i will definately be buying more of these books. she was daunted by the length of the book - but as she enjoyed it so much she read it in a week. brilliant for building reading confidence if you ask me! Recommended!
on 27 December 2012
Purchased as a birthday present for my Goddaughter. I chose this on the recommendation of her mother.
My Goddaughter is 8 and loves this book and has read it more than once. I went on to purchase the rest of the books in the Daisy series for her and they have all gone down very well too.
Recommended
on 9 January 2015
Such an enjoyable Christmas story told with great humour and insight from the perspective of a young girl at infant school getting involved in her first nativity play. Parents will have fun reading this to or with their child whether boy or girl. As a guide to the reading level... My Year 4 child polished it off in a couple of hours and my Year 2 child read all the 'The trouble with...' paragraphs while I read the rest. The pictures are good and including an Index in a fiction book is an interesting touch for parents trying to teach their child about book structure. (For parents - Daisy writes to Father Christmas sending her letter by burning it on the bonfire on Nov 5th and the book also recounts the bible story of Mary, Joseph & Jesus, the stable, Bethlehem etc giving it a strong Christian and traditional British Christmas angle to it, which may not suit some families.)
on 15 August 2012
We bought this for my 6 year old's birthday and she adores it. She read it over two nights, sneaking on the light to enjoy it (hey, it's the Summer holidays).

We now have all the Daisy range and they get read over and over and over again.

Suitable for any proficient reader - UK reading band approx gold or white at a wild guess.
on 6 November 2009
I had this book on pre-order as soon as I saw it. My daughter has all the Daisy books and couldn't wait for a new one. The trouble with christmas.. had her laughing out loud, as all Kes Gray's books do. She is 7 and was begging to read a few more pages before school untill it was finished. There is humour for both parent and child which makes a nice change and I can enjoy listening to her read without yawning my head off. I find she is much more expressive when reading as Daisy and is keen to talk about and extend ideas from the book long after she's finished reading.
Have now just pre-ordered Daisy and the trouble with...maggots. Can't wait!!
on 1 February 2014
I recommend this book to children who love diaries and funny books. I chose this rating because it really entertained.me. it took me about one hour. I loved this book because it was funny. I also recommend 'll the other daisy books if u like this one.