Customer reviews

on 29 November 2013
Some of the best chocolate I've ever tried. For those who don't think they like "dark" chocolate, the higher cocoa content in this really changes the flavour. Can't get enough.
on 26 April 2017
as per usual the chocolate was excellent, very morish excellent service will definitely buy again
on 30 June 2017
Great value. Good high quality chocolate at a good price. Not too sweet, exactly as I like it.
on 10 June 2017
good quality and price!
on 22 May 2015
Wow... Potent stuff! Upped from G&B 70% to the 85. Took me awhile to get used to it (well, about a half dozen pieces) Now I'm hooked. Great taste.
on 11 May 2013
Even in my sleepy little market town, our Sainsbury's now stocks dozens of premium chocolate bars, but I don't think that any of them has superseded this gold standard G&B classic.

Firstly, this chocolate is Fairtrade. And that really matters. Apparently our growing love of chocolate is making it harder and harder for cocoa growers to meet demand, and more and more of them are resorting to employing their children to help them. Buying Fairtrade allows us to hope that the producers of our treat are being paid well enough to be able to send their children to the schools where they belong.

Secondly, this chocolate is organic. I once heard a scientist say that if he could only buy one organic product, chocolate would be the one he'd choose, because non-organic cocoa is one of the most heavily sprayed crops of all. Buying organic means that both we and the growers of our cocoa have been spared unnecessary chemical exposure.

Thirdly, this chocolate is 85% cocoa. Cheap chocolate is loaded with unwelcome sugar, which this chocolate's recipe spares us; indeed, some scientists now suspect that a modest intake of cocoa may be good for cardiovascular health, so that a daily few grams of chocolate as cocoa-rich as this may actually be therapeutic.

Fourthly, this chocolate is, thank heavens, absolutely exquisite. There are some high-cocoa chocolates which have a rather bitter, almost acrid taste: not this Green and Black's. I've been nibbling my way through one bar a fortnight ever since it was introduced, and every single one of them has been superb, with the same unimpeachable texture and rich, deep, mellow flavour. Expensive this chocolate assuredly is, but you could buy a £10 box of fancy truffles without getting half as much chocolaty pleasure from them as you would from a single bar of this sovereign G&B.
on 3 May 2016
Go to dark chocolate
on 5 July 2016
Great chocolate, still think that this is the best dark chocolate on the market, yes I know it's uncool to say so, strong, velvety, melts in your mouth and at a good price.
on 10 May 2014
I've made the switch from milk to dark, as I've started a low-carb diet but just can't give up the chocolate. I've tried most of the 85% choc out there- Lindt, supermarket own brands, Moser Roth etc- but this one wins hands-down.

It's smooth and rich, yet still manages to be sweet (just not overly so). The vanilla is really noticeable, and the texture of the chocolate is superb. There is no lingering bitter aftertaste that I find I get with other dark choc brands either.

This isn't a cheap bar, but it's worth every single penny. Makes staying away from the sugary milk stuff much easier!
on 23 April 2016
Bought for my girlfriend and rated 5* based on the speed in which she consumed it all.