Customer reviews

Platform: PlayStation Vita|Change
Price:£36.87+ £2.03 shipping

on 15 April 2017
my daughters very happy with it.
on 13 February 2013
Really good game for the vita. Easy to pick up and play and also really easy to lose yourself in the game
on 7 January 2016
This is a great game which is massive praise coming from me who doesn't really rate sports game very highly but this one really surprised me and I really like it any fan of tennis will like it and sports games fans will enjoy it the mini games are fun to give the tennis a break.

World Tour is good fun you may not compete in the first two major tournaments but their are plenty of practice matches it little differcult with dot hanging around soon it goes then you can really start winning games and you can select your style also on all a terrific game.

I like this game and I think all tennis or sports games fan will like this game plus you can buy items to edit your playable character all the arenas you play in are unlocked and can be used as arena for your exabition games selcet from the main menu.
on 25 February 2012
I'm not a big tennis fan in terms of the sport itself but this game is a must buy, the graphics are awesome and definitely match up to the PS3. There is so much game-play and it never gets boring. You have a world tour mode, arcade mode, exhibition and loads of fun mini games which will give you hours and hours of game-play, you will not be disappointed. Plus for all you trophy hunters there are over 40 trophies to achieve most of them quite easy.
on 6 May 2013
A game like Tennis only really caters to a niche group of people, granted it is more arcade style which makes it more accessible. I won't lie I've only had it for 2 days and played for just a few hours, however my initial "wow this is good!" impressions soon turned to yawns and frustration. The frustration comes from the difficulty, EASY is too easy, up it to normal and most games are pretty easy still but some are ridiculously hard, and it seems to be that your opponent always moves where you are going to hit it before you actually hit it. This I do not think is through learning my play style or anything its simply that the AI is being given input from where I'm aiming. The difficulty spikes too much. I ran through the Arcade mode without getting beat then it took me 6 tried to beat my last opponent and I gave up on the exhibition match at the end because it was making me want to smash my Vita. I'm no pro tennis player but I used to be damn good at Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast.

Another gripe of mine is the back of the case says "New Vintage Tennis Mode" BUT little bit of advice SEGA DON'T MARKET MODES ON THE GAME CASE THAT YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK IN THE GAME! Whats worse is you are not given any explanation of HOW TO UNLOCK IT! What are we supposed to do? play every single portion of the game for hours in the hope that we will randomly unlock it?? I still don't know how to unlock it and can't find out from Google.

It isn't a bad game but it has problems.. For under £10 its worth it, but if I paid full price I wouldn't be happy at all.

The main positive thing to say is that it can be fun for a time.
on 26 February 2012
First things first, this is an arcade game. There's no ifs, ands or buts about it - Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition is a game that is intended to be picked up and played with immediate accessibility, and given the fact that it's a portable title, it's all the better for it.

Visually, VT4: WTE is a stunner. Despite the fact that it's running on a handheld system, it looks absolutely gorgeous from start to finish. The character models are flawlessly rendered, and player animations are up there with anything we've ever seen on a home console. Colours are bright and vibrant, making excellent use of the Vita's OLED screen and, perhaps most importantly of all, the game runs without dropping so much as a frame during play.

In terms of what's offered from the game's play modes, there's certainly enough here to keep players of all interest levels happy. If you're planning on really getting stuck in, then the World Tour mode is the one for you. Here you'll be able to create your own player based on a pre-existing character model, with the option of taking a photograph of yourself and placing it onto your character, creating the novel experience of genuinely being part of the game.

Over the Tour's five seasons (four regular seasons and one break season where you'll have the chance to take part in a future stars tournament), you'll need to perform as best you can if you're going to end up as highly respected as the big name players like Roger Federer, Raphael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. The overall tone of the game is certainly light-hearted, with optional fancy dress matches cropping up every so often, for example, which encourage you to get a little bit crazy with your outfit. It's touches like that which really make the game stand out on its own, away from the other offerings in the genre, and it's one of the reasons I love it so much.

The main reason I love it, however, is the fact that it plays like an absolute dream. With relatively straightforward controls meaning that you're left to worry about your on the court performance rather than contorting your fingers, it really is a joy to play. No matter what play mode you opt for, there's always something new to see or do, and lessons to be learned.

Aside from the World Tour mode, you can also take on a series of different single player modes, such as the obligatory Arcade Mode, as well as all the usual online modes (which play perfectly over WiFi), and the impressive new Vita exclusive play modes. While I'll be the first to admit that these modes are more gimmicky than anything else, there's a lot of fun to be had with them - if only for their innovative use of the Vita's technology. For example, you can play a match in first person perspective, where moving the Vita around will let you look around your in-game surroundings. It's a really novel experience and, somewhat surprisingly, it's one that works really well when it comes to actually playing, even if you will spend most of your time moving the Vita around in your hands.

Another innovative game mode is the two player tabletop tennis offering, where you and a friend can take each other on using a single Vita. The court is viewed from a top down perspective, and you control your player's movements by dragging your finger around the court. You hit the ball by flicking in the direction you want to hit it in a timely manner. It's simple and it works. Arguably it's the most enjoyable feature to use in order to show your Vita off to jealous friends!

Ultimately, if Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition was a PS3 or Xbox 360 game, it would probably feel a little hackneyed due to its somewhat dated control scheme and it's arcade persuasions, but the fact is that it lends itself superbly to the portable nature of the Vita. It's made for being picked up and played in short bursts with friends or alone, and that's really what handheld games are all about. If you want something with a more serious tone, or that has more depth and difficulty, then this might not be for you, but when it comes to Vita launch titles, this is right up there with the very best.
on 22 February 2012
I just received my PS Vita and Virtua Tennis 4 in the post this morning and thought I should give a review of this game in case people are thinking of buying it. The graphics are absolutely stunning, I'd go as far to say possibly some of the best I have ever seen in a sports game, not only on a handheld (definitely the best) but also on the home consoles. The gameplay is great, too. Being an old-school gamer I haven't really used the support of the touchscreens for the game as of yet, though I'm sure I will at some point. The world tour mode is a nice take on the career aspect, slightly different from what I remember in previous iterations. The trophies (which I love competing for) are interesting and challenging and add an a bit of longevity to the game. The online mode is also good, although as I haven't had much experience in this so far, that is all I can say. In my opinion, if you're looking for a great game that you will be picking up again and again, give Virtua Tennis 4 a shot.
on 24 February 2012
I got this after trying it our for about 60 seconds in-store. The graphics a very impressive, mainly during actual gameplay rather than the close ups on the faces of the players. It's the player movements that make it really quite realistic and the controls are well designed.
Loving it.
on 5 December 2013
I bought this game expecting the standard virtua tennis style gameplay (which honestly hasn't changed much since the first installment on the dreamcast) and that is what I got...brilliant! If it aint broke, don't fix it!

I personally have come to enjoy the likes of Top Spin 4 on the PS3 over virtua tennis, however a good arcade tennis experience can be found in VT4 on the vita. The gameplay is slick and responsive and has various difficulty levels for all types of players. I have not owned the full console version of VT4 so I can't really compare game modes across platforms, however there are various modes to keep all kinds of players entertained.

The true gem in this game are the visuals...WOW! This really is a beautiful game and is quite possibly the best looking vita game, even when you throw KZ: Mercenary into the mix! The textures are crisp and are extremely close if not on par with PS3 graphics. This game truly shows off the graphical capabilities of the Vita and does not drop the frame rate at all!

For the price of this game, even if you are not a big tennis fan, this is well worth picking up for a bit of fun and to see just how good your little vita is!!

Great game!
on 27 April 2013
Virtua Tennis 4: WTE is the best tennis game on the Vita hands down...well mostly because as of right now it is the only one. Despite VT4's lack of competition on the PS Vita it is still an amazing game, but bear in mind it is an arcade style game. Think of it as the Burnout of Tennis games, it's no hardcore simulator like GT5, but it is still immensely fun. You can pick it up and play with ease, which in my opinion adds to my enjoyment.

The game looks amazing. The animations are nice and smooth, the models crisp and clear and the courts are vibrant and colourful. It could be mistaken for a PS3 game. And just to put the cherry on the cake the game runs without a hitch with no lag throughout my 35+ hours of playtime.

There is no shortage of gamemodes either. There is the standard Exhibition mode, along with a Word tour (career mode) and of course an Arcade mode. The arcade mode is relatively easy and has a doubles alternative as well. In arcade mode you play 4 stages against some of the world's best, and a special match at the end if you win all of the matches. The world tour mode is unlike any other Career mode I have ever seen in a game. It works like a board game of sorts, where you are given tickets that allow you to move a certain number of spaces. At first it can be a little irritating, as I missed a tournament or two by not managing my moves well. After you get the hang of it, it becomes great fun and really tactical. By my second playthrough I was wondering "If I stop at the hotel and rest, will I be able to move two and get into that Special match?". The ranking system is ok. You can move up and become world number one, but there isn't really much competition from other players, and the top 10 or so rankings never change. By the time when you are in the 5th season, if you are the world number one, nobody will overtake you. You are ranked by your star rating, which depending on how high or low it is will affect your seed in tournaments. It's not the most realistic system in the world, but again it is an arcade style game. There is also the expected online mode, which is fun to play, but does suffer from a small population, as you can find yourself playing the same person 2 or 3 times in a row.

The developers made good use of the Vita's features as well with a whole section called VT apps. The best Vita minigame is the Touch VS. Think of it as Pong, but with updated graphics. One of the more "interesting" Vita minigame is the VR match, which would be better named "PS Vita accelerometer test", due to it being completely unplayable. If none of the Vita exclusive minigames tickle your fancy there is a section of more playable minigames.

PROS:
-Easy to pick up and play
-Great graphics
-Players are licensed(unfortunately tournaments aren't though)
-Plenty of gamemodes
-Fun World Tour mode
-Some replay value

CONS:
-Short World Tour
-Hard to find online games
-Ranking system could be better and more challenging in World Tour

Overall this is a great game, and will certainly satisfy your portable tennis needs for a while, but in my opinion this game falls just short of becoming one of the best portable tennis games of all time, with that honour currently being held by Smash Court Tennis 3. Even if you are a little obsessed with trophies, like myself, you can enjoy this game as you get your platinum(possibly with the exception of the Online master trophy). The only major problem is that there isn't a huge amount of replay value, besides from getting trophies and trying to beat your score in world tour, as the online mode gets stale quickly. This is because there are no gamemodes that don't involve matches. A minigame vs mode wouldn't go amiss. If you are looking for a realistic tennis sim, then you may want to avoid this, but if you want a fun, exciting and arcade styled game, then look no further.