on 1 March 2012
I am a huge fan of Carole's books and think I have read most if not all of them now. Aside from having a gorgeous cover what I liked about this book was the story and the characters featured throughout. Nell is the main character in the story, she's a mum that works hard to provide for her family in the local chip shop. However, when her friends and work colleagues see that she has so much more potential they encourage her to follow her dreams of making and selling her very own range of handbags.

From the very beginning I could see that all of the characters were going to be a joy to read about, and it was clear from fairly early on how much they cared for and wanted the best for Nell. Due to this I found them a joy to read, there were no ulterior motives and they were just all round good people. My favourite character in the book though had to be Nell's four-year-old daughter Petal who was a right little character. I thought she had some great little lines in the book, which at times made me chuckle and she was a character that really jumped off the page and came to life for me.

I found the story featured in the book interesting as it showed the various different sides of business, from the hard-work required to get one off the ground and the sacrifices people have to make to keep them afloat, to the feeling when things go well and the business starts to become a success.

Overall, this is a very good read and one that I'd highly recommend, along with Carole's previous books.
on 11 March 2017
wow what a brilliant book which I couldn,t put it down ,
on 24 March 2017
another great book
on 27 June 2017
book
on 5 July 2017
Another gripping story by this talented author. I couldn't put this book down, but then I find that with all her books. Looking forward to the next one.
on 13 February 2014
Like all your books Carole I couldn't put this book spending a great story and I can relate to it as living close to Hitchin on to my book can't wait
on 6 January 2016
Lovely
on 1 January 2014
As always the divine Ms M weaves us right into the centre of her intricate web of storytelling and reminds us never to give up on our dreams.
on 22 June 2017
I read this book cover to cover in one day - it's an easy page turner with a real story - loved it :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 February 2012
First off I need to admit I am a big Carole Matthews fans and a huge fan of the Chocolate Lovers series of books that she wrote. Having said that, I'm certainly not biased and if I don't
enjoy one of her books I will say. Her last release Wrapped Up In You I enjoyed but it wasn't my favourite.

Moving onto this latest Release Summer Daydreams, we are in a whole new ball park! Within the first two chapters I had fallen in love with the fabulous people. Nell McNamara works in
the chip shop and lives locally with her boyfriend Olly and her young daughter Petal. What starts as a makeover for the chippy, pushes Nell into a new line of work designing her own
handbags.

What caught my attention from the beginning are the people. Nell's boss Phil, her two work colleagues Constance and Jenny and Nell's partner Olly. They are all so readable and lovely. They all have their place in the story and before the first few chapters I couldn't get enough of them all.

Nell was likeable but frustrating as you see her try to juggle her home life with work and making something for herself and her family's future. As Nell realises that she may well have talent, you see her facing all the trials and tribulations that I imagine many people starting up on their own face. She has to work out how it all works, against the constant pressure of rising debt to fund her business.

While she is doing all this things start to go wrong, and once they start down that route they only seem to get worse! Towards the middle I realised that I had been reading it straight and had only picked it up that morning. I also realised that these were the first set of characters I had read since the Chocolate Lovers girls that I wanted to see more of (although they still remain my absolute favourites).

Having worked my normal day job I excitedly finished the rest of the book literally not being able to put it down, as I so desperately wanted things to work out well.
I finished this in one day and must say it is one of Carole's best books I have read in a long time. I devoured this and would love nothing more than to see these characters again in the future. Whether we will or not remains to be seen, all I know is that her Carole's latest release is a true testament to why she is a very successful author. Highly recommended!
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse