on 15 April 2013
Used this to link my Samsung Smart LED TV to my Arcam Solo Mini Hifi system - took 5 minutes, works perfectly, sounds.... incredible. No doubt the quality of the hifi and speakers makes a major contribution, but the DAC is the vital link in the chain, and this one is worth every penny. The Arcam equivalent costs £200.

The unit was well packaged and delivered quickly. Fiio have helpfully included little notes about selecting PCM output from your TV, a small point, but maybe one that gets overlooked? Included in the box is small, neat a power supply unit, but if your TV has a spare USB port, you can spend £1 on a "USB to mini USB" cable, plug the USB end into your TV and use the "mini USB" end to power the DAC itself. This is a great feature, because it means (1) that you don't need to take up an electrical plug socket, and (2) the DAC switches itself on and off with the TV - this has to be a good thing.

The DAC has a metal body, is supplied with all the ports covered with colour coded plastic caps, and certainly feels like a premium quality component (easily better than the price tag would suggest). There is a red LED to denote power supply, and a blue one to confirm that the optical (TOSLINK) signal is being received correctly from the TV.

I'd recommend using a little sticky velcro pad to hold the DAC onto the back of the TV, so the installation can be neat and tidy. If the little velcro pad was included in the box, that would be even better, but that is splitting hairs...

This is the second DAC I tried on my system: apparently the Arcam Hifi system is picky about what it will play with, and that is the main reason why I wrote this - other Arcam users may find it useful.

The Fiio DAC is great value, worked first time, and the difference in sound over your TV speakers is incredible: buy one and be prepared to fall in love with your movie collection and Hifi all over again...
44 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
Like others, I took a chance on this. In my system it converts a digital stream from an Airport Express into analogue audio and sends it via it's RCA phono sockets to a Arcam Delta amp and speakers in our study. This is the best that system has ever sounded and easily competes for clarity and precision with the Roksan Kandy / Dacmagic 100 combo in the main room. I have set it up with the Airport Express providing the power via its spare USB connection which saves a plug in a quite confined space so all the better. Two tiny leds indicate red for power on and blue for the lock to the digital signal.

It has mini usb, coaxial and toslink inputs. RCA phono outputs. A rocker switch selects coax or toslink. The mini usb takes the wall wart power input or as described takes power from your PC, usb hub or Airport Express.

At this price it is an astonishing buy, tiny - just big enough to accept the interconnects - and unobtrusive, superb sound and well built in a metal casing.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2014
I bought this because digital interference was getting into the analogue audio outputs of my Viera TV. It's completely fixed that problem and I no longer get warbly-scratchy noises on my Hi-Fi system when playing the TV through it.

FiiO are very careful to warn you about setting the digital output of your device (TV, DVD player, whatever) to PCM. I guess they don't want to have to deal with a large number of perfectly good devices returned because of configuration errors beyond their control, and I can't blame them. However, mine worked straight away with the Viera in its default auto mode.

My initial impression of its sound - confirmed by plugging the device into the optical output of my NAD CD player and switching between it and the NAD's analogue output - was that it was rather harsh. However, after a few hours' use it seems to have settled down and now sounds clear and detailed rather than strident.
on 29 February 2012
I bought the fiio d3 192/24 bit just to give a try as my dac magic from Cambridge audio did not operate to 192/24 bit and to my surprise its so good I haven't plugged my dac magic in,Since I bought the fiio d3.Really good value I would recommend it highly.
Marcello Siddi
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2012
Been using this at work to run the SPDIF output from a Playstation3 into an older analogue mixing console, and it's working well for us. The power supply in the box was a European twin-pronged affair, but as it can also be powered via mini-USB, I've just been plugging it into one of the PS3's USB controller outputs, with the added benefit that it also switches off when the PS3 is shut down too. It's very straightforward as there is only one control on the device (which switches from either a coaxial or optical input); all you have to do is connect it up. It's a physically tiny thing too - about the size of two stacked matchboxes - but it "feels" well-made.
on 10 September 2013
This is a fantastic little bit of kit, I chose this over the myriad other DACs on Amazon as this was the only one advertised as 192kHz/24bit. The ability to power it via a USB cable directly into the TV is a great feature too.

Further specifications included are:
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.008%
Signal to Noise Ratio 95dB
Crosstalk -85dB

If you want a more accurate conversion of a digital signal you are going to have to pay significantly more, e.g. Musical Fidelity's VDACII will give you THD of 0.002% but costs almost six times what you'll pay for this.

I used the Fiio DAC to convert the digital output of a new TV to an old Technics amp, powering a pair of B&W 602 speakers and all I can say is 'Wow'! Via my Xbox 360 I played everything from Chopin to euphoric trance, Avatar to Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and it all sounded amazing. It creates an impressive sound stage, with crisp powerful bass and fantastic detail throughout. I cranked up the volume and maxed the bass on the amp to try to stretch the little Fiio to its limits but it just sounded better and better.

For a direct comparison I plugged in a pair of Sony MDR-V55 headphones directly to the TV. The flat, compressed, hissing audio was so pitiful it almost feels like you're listening to the sound coming from another room, through a wall... But plugging the headphones into the amp via the DAC provided an immeasurable improvement. It might not be into audiophile territory, but considering the modest price tag it's very, very impressive.

One minor negative is the diminutive size of the button used to switch between optical and coaxial inputs all but rules out using the DAC as a switch for two audio sources. It's probably less hassle to just buy another one. Had the button been a bit more accessible and easier to trigger, I'd have hooked my PC up to it too, effectively doubling its value. But regardless of that small issue, this is a great bit of kit at a very reasonable price.
on 1 March 2016
Note: I found the Fiio D03k at a better price elsewhere, but wanted to leave a review to help others who are looking at it.

I gave myself a challenge to set up my mid-2010 Macbook Pro, so that digital audio (music/DVD's/ DAB Radio etc) can all be played through an analogue hi-fi system. The goal was to get the best system I could without spending the earth. I was just looking for a simple two speaker system for a smallish room.

First, I bought a pair of used Wharfedale 9.1 speakers and a Denon PMA-255UK analogue amp in great condition from eBay - and some decent multi-strand speaker wire. I then bought a FosPower® 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 2x RCA Plugs (Male to Male) Aux Audio Cable Adpater (24k Gold Plate Connectors) (15ft / 4.6m) from Amazon and connected it from the headphone port on the Macbook Pro to the RCA connectors on the amp. The sound was good but their was a certain amount of hiss and interference on the internal DAC/ soundcard in the Macbook Pro - especially when I was using other software/ programs on it. The headphone port on the mid-2010 outputs both a digital and an analogue signal. This set up takes the analogue signal and inputs it into the Denon amp.

So I then started looking at whether an external DAC could improve the sound quality. I looked at the Behringer UCA202 and all the cheaper external soundcards/ DACs under c.£30. The Fiio D03K stood out in all the reviews both on Amazon and on the web. It seemed to be a better build (metal casing) and sound quality to the Behringer and was able to handle 24 bit/ 192khz sampling if needed. So I purchased it along with the Fisual 1m Install Series Mini-Toslink to Optical Cable to connect it to the Macbook. The Fospower cable is then used to connect the Fiip D03k to the amp.This set up takes the digital signal from the Macbook and the Fiio D03k does the work of converting it to the analogue signal for the Denon amp.

And then for the acid test - does it make a difference to sound quality? In short yes. There is no hiss/ interference when I listen through the headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M40x's and ES7's) with the volume turned up but with no music playing. And music does sounds great through the headphones. But the biggest difference I found was with the speakers. Wharfedale 9.1's are highly rated as a budget speaker - the Fiio D03k brings out their quality in a way that the internal Macbook Pro DAC/ Soundcard didn't. The sound is fuller, more open and defined - whereas, it had sounded just a little 'muddy' before.

I am not saying that it would pass a test by an audiophile with golden ears and deep pockets, but if you are looking to upgrade your present system without spending the earth, then this Fiio D03k may be a great place for you to start.
on 27 December 2015
Decided to try this DAC because I didn't want to spend a fortune on some of the more expensive brands. I'm actually shocked at the difference it's made. I own a Marantz pm5004 amp and a old NAD 521i CD player. The sound was terrible so before replacing the CD player I decided to try this DAC. The sound of my hi fi has been transformed!! Saved me about £170 on a new CD player
on 8 January 2014
I raised a return request because when connecting to my TV and amp a ticking sound and other interference could be heard through the speakers.

A have now cancelled my return because the ticking noise was caused by a mains ethernet adapter and after moving my speaker and wires away from this adapter the ticking is much reduced. To overcome this problem completely it would be better not to use these ethernet adapters in proximity with the FiiO. When the ethernet adapter is turned off the sound quality is crystal clear and at last I can hear good quality sound from the Samsung TV connected through a 20 year old Arcam amp.
on 16 February 2016
Once I had the correct cables, I plugged it in and away it went. One point to mention - if as I did, you need to output a new TV to an old amplifier, it needs to have a dedicated CD input, or the output will be too great for your amp. TV sends out 2 volts, and an old amp only needs about 150 m volts. Result is distorted base and treble, and little of no control over the volume. This is not the fault of the d to a converter, which works perfectly.