TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2017
I haven't read a Rachel Abbot book yet that hasn't had me on the edge of my seat. Hugo Fletcher is found murdered in a compromising position and Detective Chief Inspector Tom Douglas is the one who investigates the series of events that unfolds. Hugo Fletcher appears to be an upstanding member of the community that helps struggling Eastern European prostitutes escape the grips of trafficking, but things are not as clear cut as they first appear. As Tom Douglas investigates the crime it becomes evident that there is more to this man than originally appears and he is hiding some very dark secrets. Tom has some very hard decisions to make throughout the book and we wait until the end to discover what his choices are.

I would highly recommend this book and indeed all others by this author.
on 22 August 2016
93 people agree with me that this is just drivel. It started as dour and lifeless, with so much cross contamination in paragraphs it was throoughly annoying. Then when the ridiculous letters began on top of this galaxy of self-important magnificently handsome men (!), enough was enough. Time me thinks for the author to move from her bubble of isolation and live in the real world to sit and listen to how people talk, not to go on and on with tripe uttered from mealy mouths. As poor as it gets.
on 9 September 2017
I was highly disappointed with the story, having read Rachel's, Kill Me Again which was a brilliant thriller. So on the back of it bought all her books. I started off after the aforementioned book, to read in the correct order leading up to Kill Me Again, as that was a page turner. This was a chapter turner, rather than being a thriller, it was like family members chatting about recollections of the past. Some chapters were just extremely long letters one had sent to the other and one of the character re reading them.
Even the detective on the case has marital problems.
The only thing I did like was the conclusion/ending. Which was more fitting than the end of Kill Me Again.

I just hope the rest of the series is like Kill Me Again rather than this one.
on 31 August 2017
Having read the back road which I enjoyed, thought i'd try another from this author.

The first few chapters for me seemed to start well. Once downloaded, it nose dived for me, flipping from what was happening in the present to going back and reading letters written, which sounds odd but they didn't come across as letters, more a recall in the first person, however really disliked the letter part.
I guessed early on who did what, too many clues at the start, which spoiled it for me. It was very drawn out, doesn't seem like it is a thriller, just a recount of past events,

It isn't fast paced, griping, basic story line, husband dies, who has done it, but to me it was obvious.
on 8 July 2016
Only the Innocent follows the murder of a famous philanthropist, Hugo Fletcher. It is obvious he has been murdered by a woman - but which woman?

There are quite a few female suspects in this book and it is hard to figure out who did it. There are lots of twists that keep you gripped and make you wonder who is telling the truth. Abbott gives you snippets of information to try and help you figure it out but even by the end I was left there sat mesmerised at how someone can write something where you should have guessed who it was but because of her clever writing, didn't! I really enjoyed the ending of this one and it makes you think about what you would do in that situation - and there are a lot of different situations that I had to think about what I would do.

We are also introduced to Tom Douglas in this book and his DC Becky Robinson. I loved these two together they were a great pair! The story is written in third person and reading what each character is thinking and how their brain is working and how they depict other characters is very well developed.
on 10 January 2018
Decided to give this book a read after reading the book intro/description and the many written reviews it has gained, most of which were positive. It had a promising storyline, but what a disappointing let down it was. The main characters were unrealistic, boring and flat, the storyline and plot just fizzled out, like a drink that has lost its fizz. I expected this book to have more twists and turns, but what I got instead was a dull unravelling of a murder investigation.
on 22 July 2016
I had already read The Back Road which is number two in this series and really enjoyed it so thought I would start at the beginning with book number one. It was brilliant to get some back story on DCI Tom Douglas which filled in some gaps that I had previously encountered.

The story itself was both fascinating and extremely horrific and was very well told from the point of view of each of the characters. I have to say the ending was a twist that I was not really expecting although I had my suspicions but those had been dismissed several times as the story unfurled.

I will certainly be reading the next in the series - Sleep Tight - which I have already purchased and I highly recommend this author if you are a fan of suspense and crime thrillers.
on 5 November 2016
I have loved Rachel Abbott's other books having read all the others except Nowhere Child. So whilst I didn't enjoy the sample of this book I thought I would persevere and hope that the speed of the story would pick up and it would match the quality of Rachel's other novels. Unfortunately it didn't. I am not one to give up on a book once I have started but by just over 40% I felt really fed up with this book. I ended up skim reading it just to find out how the story panned out but all I can say is I am glad I did not read the rest of the book "properly". It just didn't have the suspense and pace of the other Rachel Abbott novels. Not one I would recommend.
on 26 January 2016
I'm so tired today because I just had to finish this book and I've lost sleep due to reading into the early hours. A great read for sure and my first by this author which I'm glad about as I know the others follow on with Tom so I'm glad to read them in order and I definitely will.

I haven't read a thriller in ages so after some minor browsing I saw her latest release and it intrigued me but looking up her other books I decided to read in order. This book is slow to start I will admit it took me a good few chapters before I could picture the characters and the setting but it really picks up and like I say I couldn't stop reading. It was smartly written with each chapter end leaving on a bit of suspense to keep you wanting more. I particularly enjoyed reading Laura's letters to Imogen and going from finding Hugo intriguing like Laura did to just... Well praising whoever it was that had finished him off. I found myself mentally telling Laura to just wake up and stop being an idiot. Easy for us to say though.

The ending I enjoyed I feel it wasn't too rushed but I was slightly disappointed with the reveal of the culprit because I had kind of guessed it or at least I had guessed the reason why they had to do it if it was them but I was hoping I was wrong and it was someone else. But still reading it was uncomfortable and even though I had guessed some of it there were other details revealed about Hugo that were disturbing to read that I hadn't guessed. I need a shower after finishing it basically!

I'm really glad I randomly searched the other night for a decent thriller and I'm looking forward to reading her other books which I'm about to buy if my tired eyes can cope with more sleepless nights.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 September 2016
Well, I'm surprised I managed to finish this book as the content wasn't what I'd expected but I thought I should find out the ending.
This was the first book I'd read by this author but won't be reading any more. The main storyline was beyond harrowing and continued to shock right up to the end with multiple horrific discoveries. I have actually never felt so uncomfortable reading a book and been so relieved to finally finish it.
The first two thirds of the book were also quite slow and I found the relaying of historical events through the 'drip-feeding' of someone reading letters one by one over time totally implausible and too obvious a device simply to create suspense.
Additionally, I found the main character irritating and couldn't believe why anyone would behave in the way they did (being so weak and easily smitten & swayed etc).
In summary, a really hard slog of a book and one that has affected me and not in a good way.