Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 April 2012
I was born in Cornwall and grew up there. Now transplanted abroad I bought this DVD so I could sit back and enjoy vicariously a trip through my home County. I was sadly disappointed. Although the filming is stunning and shows Cornwall in all her beauty I found the repetitive nature of the programming very annoying and having watched Disc 1 which featured the Lindos Vineyard on two successive episodes I couldn't believe it when in episode 1 of Disc 2 we went back there again! It had begun to feel like each episode was pushing a certain restaurant, vineyard or farmer producing heirloom tomatoes on us! It began to feel like the programmes were simply vehicles for advertising these businesses.

Cornwall is steeped in legend, stone circles, prehistoric sites etc. and none of these were shown. I love the County but this series is downright boring. I have three more episodes to watch on Disc 2 and I swear if they show Lindos Vineyard again I will scream.
on 23 February 2012
This is a dissapointment that ITV have decided to release this series on DVD, the programmes were at best mundane, yes the filming is good but its content is repetitive, Caroline visits the same places at least twice. Where-as 'The Hungry Sailors' with Dick and James Strawbridge has not been released and in my view was a much better series and showed something new on every episode. Give serious consideration before buying this.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2012
Billy Connolly is the master of travel video's. some of the subjects just don't have enough interest to the best bits. would have been better if the video had been condensed to the best bits.
on 25 April 2013
Informative about the 'out of the way places' that you may miss when visiting. Given me some ideas of where to go when I visit this summer.
on 1 April 2012
Boring and dull; not so much about Cornwall as about various immensely uninteresting people that decided to settle there. Nothing really about the history, nature, features of the county, but loads about specific families that we are forced to revisit in subsequent episodes. A drooling, embarrassing kiss-up that leaves all that is actually fascinating about Cornwall untouched and unexplored. Save your cash!
on 5 April 2012
Sadly this series was a lost opportunity to produce a travel series about a popular part of the UK that has been sadly neglected by tv companies. I should have been prepared; the series was originally transmitted in the same slot as another series 'The Lakes'. That series, fronted by Rory McGrath succeeded in taking another outstanding location and finding the most tedious, boring characters in that area and focusing on them at the expense of anything of value. I was struck at first that this may be an ironic series, but no, it was for real.
Sadly, Cornwall was produced by the sae team and clearly Caroline Quinten had to work with the same banal bunch of people. So, instead of discovering the incredible heritage and history, we learned utterly irrelevant fact about a Mousehole estate agent and some totally forgettable WI people. There is more Real Cornwall in a DVD of Doc Martin. Avoid!
on 12 September 2012
I love Cornwall and enjoyed the scenery. What bothered me was that we were taken back to the same places several times. I got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that it was possible to buy spots in this programme. I had watched Caroline Quentin travelling through India just prior to watching this DVD and I was impressed by her way of approaching locals she met along the way. I was not impressed this time. Maybe I was in a different mood but it felt staged rather than natural. Sure, the places that were visited were interesting the first time they appeared but that should have been the only time we went there.
on 5 April 2013
good, but fou
nd too much repetition of the same people and the same places. Thought there would have been more exciting places
on 2 June 2014
Really dreadful, I was expecting a little history and some highlights of tourist attractions instead I got what seems like a long infomercial about a few select Cornish businesses.

Don't bother.
on 19 October 2016
I love Cornwall and this DVD set is just fabulous to watch and the presenter Caroline Quentin just Superb 👍👍👍👍👍