Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 7 June 2017
Fantastic book. lots of useful metaphors I can use
on 4 June 2017
SO useful
on 26 June 2001
This book gave me the courage, and the resources, to tell a story to a group I was training. They loved it and so did I. I've told stories to children, of course, but thought that adults were too grown up for them. I had forgotten that inside every adult is a child who loves stories but is rarely told one.
on 7 January 2005
Why should Teachers, Trainers and Thinkers have all the fun?
I purchased this book having attended and been stimulated by one of the author's "Communicating with Influence" courses.
The course very quickly swept away my preconceptions and the book did likewise. Instead of studiously wiling away the daily commute for a couple of days I actually found myself spending a significant majority of the time reflecting on the stories, their meanings for me and their subsequent uses.
Those lucky enough to have experienced (a carefully chosen word) Nick's storytelling first hand will find the collection particularly evocative whilst for new readers a rich multisensory experience awaits.
on 22 August 2012
Sorry but I really thought this book was a waste of money. Brilliant front, brilliant idea...dull as dish water.
They talk in a really complicated way, a lot of it seeming irrelevant and just not of any worthy notability.

I've given it a star as there are two stories / metaphors in there which I have used effectively with clients and that's one about an eagle that's raised a chicken, and looks up one day to see an eagle soaring above and wants to be one. but the other chickens say, yes we know, but unfortunately, we're just chickens. That's a good one for reminding people of they as individuals might be capable of; the other is of the gods getting together to hide the most amazing powerful treasure known to man, and the hidden treasure being hidden in the most difficult to reach place in the world...inside the humans.

Other than these two gems, it's a dull book I never use.
on 16 April 2003
This book had a lovely twist in that it is a story in itself, and that the metaphorical stories are woven into the story. All of us seek a teacher who will inspire us and encourage us to fulfil our potential, so using the teacher/pupil to do the speaking throughout the book and leading into the metaphorical stories is very clever.
I found the stories very easy to follow, and some exceptionally humorous, which immediately raised my own spirits. I have already begun to share some of the stories found within this book on my seminars and seen others ‘get the insight’ or have their spirits raised too.
One of the strengths of this book is that it contains short anecdotal stories as well as the more long winded versions. Thereby catering for different lengths of presentations. The sub-sections are useful in that cover different aspects of leadership which is paramount to the world of self-actualisation.
Again, my personal recommendation would be that this is a book sold in audio format alongside the book, so that the reader is listening to the audio and reading at the same time. This would make a big impact in the learning of the principles that is integral to each story.
The author has also done well to recommend different ways of using the stories within different situations, which enables trainers, teachers and therapists to understand how they can adapt the stories to suit their clients needs. I also like the fact that the author understands that importance of acknowledging sources where possible. Very often people forget to acknowledge their sources and as a result many people believe that the information being shared has only just been discovered, where in fact it has existed for millennia, and the magic is when each of us is able to bring that higher truth interpretation to the ears and hearts of others that inspires, touches and motivates them to take up a call to action.
22 Comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2009
The blurb on the cover states that the book "is an inspirational sourcebook for counsellors, health workers, psychologists, professional speakers, managers, leaders and NLP practitioners, as well as for teachers, trainers and therapists". Well I am none of those professions but as a layman I found the stories interesting on their own account, and as the blurb continues they "can be adapted and developed" to suit whatever purpose the reader desires of them. I can recommend this book just for the short stories alone regardless of the metaphors they are supposed to convey.
on 5 August 2001
As an experienced independant trainer I have been sceptical about the benefit of books like these. The great thing about this book is the way I could actually visulize the author helping me to become a great story teller and therefore use the stories in my training/delivery events. This book has added a huge richness to what I do and given me a positive energy and will to try the stories in many different contexts. without exception, my delegates have found meaning in the stories I've used from this book and many of them have found meanings I would not have expected. The author has thought of many of the issues a novice to story telling might be concerned with and uses accessible language to help you. This book is exciting, fun and its contents will help me become even more indispensable to my clients.
on 13 September 2001
I use the stories in this book as introductions to training sessions, refelections on the day and as a way of preparing myself for meetings. The stories are rich, varied in length and all have profound messages which can be adapted for many uses. A fantastic resource for any trainer, manager, parent or teacher.
on 15 July 2010
This is a good book but the stories are perhaps a little too transparent. I prefer it if the outcome is not so obvious when you're telling the story - they are more memorable then. There are certainly some good points made in them and I have enjoyed reading them but I'm not sure I will use many of them myself because of the transparency problem.