on 19 April 2017
I purchased this lock in 2012. I have been fortunate that I have not had an attempt to steal my bike in that time. However today (April 2017) there was an attempt. The plastic at the base of the lock had been removed and there were a number a marks around the key mechanism. In addition the U part of the lock clearly has been subject to pressure to separate the two parts of the lock. There is some damage to my bike but the lock has prevented theft. I was also about to locate the hard plastic on the base and clip it back into place, so despite a view marks the lock is as good as new. I was reluctant to pay such a high price for a bike lock but it has now paid for itself.
on 22 June 2016
Feels solid, nice smooth locking mechanism and fits my R1200GS front wheel. It feels premium.
on 12 June 2017
Super lock
on 28 January 2015
Worth the extra money for peace of mind
on 5 April 2013
i bought this lock because it is necessary to meet insurance specifications. it must be very close to thief proof. however it is very heavy so i do not plan to carry it on any rides. it would be ideal for securing bike at home or work.
on 17 November 2014
Got this with a krypton it cable. Really didn't want my pedersen bicycle nicked - invested too much time and effort in building it. Now I feel confident in riding it out and locking it up. Yeah it's heavy but so would getting it nicked.
on 21 November 2012
This is a serious lock and I consider this one of my all time most worthwhile purchases.

They say you should spend about 10% of the value of your bike on a lock. I disagree. You need to consider your personal needs, if you only use your bike at the weekends or for nipping to the shops that's fine but if you cycle in the city, commute to work or (heaven forbid) lock your bike out overnight then you need this lock.
As a deterrent, and a seriously hardcore piece of kit, this could well last you through several bikes, making it a very worthwhile investment.

Of course no lock is impervious and if your bike is locked down a dark alleyway out of sight they'll have time to do their evil.

After losing a bike locked with a cable lock I bought one of these and used it all over central London for years. The worst theft attempt bent the bike frame and back wheel but didn't damage the lock in the slightest.

Highly recommended!
on 5 April 2011
The usual great Abus solidity. And it is the highest security rating - 15 - as I had hoped and expected but not (strangely) mentioned in the writeup. Especially effective with one through the frame and one through the front wheel. A good price and a very speedy delivery. Weight is the only drawback but that's the price you pay to keep the loathsome scumbags away (yes - I have had a bike stolen and it REALLY taxed my pacifism)
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2013
Has been tested by thieves in front of my house one day: they managed to cut the plastic wrapping of the U-section and then apparently spent some time trying to saw or cut through the metal. I write 'apparently' because you need good eyes and good light to spot the numerous but minuscule little scratches on the metal. In other words, the lock totally shrugged off that attempt.

Another thing to notice is that the lock still works well although I have left it outside exposed to the weather for more than a year now. The one drawback of the current design is the plastic casing of the locking bar: when my lock falls to the ground the black part of the casing separates from the silver part. Sometimes even the metal bits that form the keyhole cover fall out. This does not affect the security aspect of the lock but is very annoying. My advice is to tape some duct tape around that part of the lock. Exactly this flawed plastic casing, by the way, has been re-designed in the successor version, the Granit-540. The Granit-540 is already available in Germany in some places and should come to the UK soon I would assume.
on 9 November 2013
surprisingly light to carry in back and the slightly elliptical loop makes it a lot easier to get as much of my bike locked as possible. worth the money and the plastic coating ensures the carbon frame isn't scratched