on 15 September 2011
We first heard The Scala Choir over 5 years ago and tried to 'track' down a CD of their work without success. We never gave up hope though and at long last this amazing and original choir have been added to our collection. So many favourite tracks, but we've always loved Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'; good to see Depeche Mode and Foo Fighters represented as well.
on 28 June 2011
Fantastic, easy on the ear album, adding contemporary voice to a lot of classics including u2, Foo Fighters, Nirvana etc. Brilliant. All female choir from Belgium are arranged and directed by the Kolacny brothers.
on 12 September 2014
This is such a beautiful album. Generally speaking, I'm not usually into choral work but this is stunning. There are various gorgeous covers on here of which 'Creep' is just amazing. However, the original tracks are excellent. 'Our Last fight' is one of the best things I've heard in a while - it's beautiful, peaceful, deep and it just resonates. I want to sit with headphones on and listen to it over and over again. This album will help you forget the stresses and strains of the day.
on 3 May 2015
An unusual record of choral versions of contemporary rock music {partly). As a rock fan I got this when I heard Creep on the radio. This treatment of rock songs often falls flat on it's face, but this is an exception (except for one or two tracks which are dire). It is telling that their treatment of a couple of self penned tracks are as successful as Creep, which is quite an achievement.
on 28 February 2017
I first heard the Scala & Kolacny Brothers Choir, when I heard their version of “Creep” in a trailer for the film “Love like Poison”. Although the song as it appears on the CD is a slightly different (and expletive free) version of the song to that which can be heard in the film, the track is unmistakably the “same” song and it is still good, and although I can see why they might put this version out on a CD, I am a little disappointed not to find the “film version” on it as this was my original attraction to their music and the reason why I bought the album .

Twelve of the fifteen tracks are cover versions and many will be familiar songs to listeners. The three non-cover version tracks (track 9 “Our Last Fight”, track 10 “Seashell”, track 11 “Masquerade (Of Fools)” are wonderful tracks and “Seashell” has become one of my favourite songs on the CD.

Generally a very relaxing album to listen to, it is a rewarding CD but not one that I could say was perfect for me. Like some others have commented, I find the piano accompaniment a little too prominent at times as the chords are not so much played but are hammered out at times – if that was the desired arrangement it is not one that always works for me unfortunately. Nevertheless I would say it is still a good CD.

01 Nothing Else Matters (Originally performed by Metallica)
02 Solsbury Hill (Originally performed by Peter Gabriel)
03 Champagne Supernova (Originally performed by Oasis)
04 Ironic (Originally performed by Alanis Morissette)
05 With or Without You (Originally performed by U2)
06 Everlong (Originally performed by Foo Fighters)
07 I Feel You (Originally performed by Depeche Mode)
08 Use Somebody (Originally performed by Kings of Leon)
09 Our Last Fight
10 Seashell
11 Masquerade (Of Fools)
12 Creep (Originally performed by Radiohead)
13 Smells Like Teen Spirit (Originally performed by Nirvana)
14 Yellow (Originally performed by Coldplay)
15 Viva La Viva (Originally performed by Coldplay)
on 6 January 2012
I bought this album having liked Scala for a long time, originally attracted by their version of "Every step you take" by the Sting in the Downton tv series adverts and this certainly doesnt dissapoint.

Whilst I'm not a choir purist, I find the simplicity of voices with a piano is a refreshing twist on modern pop songs, creating a moving experience.
on 20 May 2013
lived up to my expectations! absolutely love this record. love every minute of every track. excited to hear more from them!
on 6 October 2014
I purchased this after hearing one of their songs on radio 2 (a cover of 'Creep') and wanted to hear more. They are a Belgian choir and this particular CD is mostly covers of songs by the likes of Nirvana, Coldplay, Alanis Morrisette to name a few.

The voices are haunting and beautiful as is the Piano and though I wondered when I would play the CD it seems whenever I feel reflective or just want to listen to loveliness!
on 31 December 2011
I bought this album having been blown away by their cover of With or Without You. What impressed me most about that performance was that it was a true **arrangement** for choir, and not a mere transcription of an original. Too many choirs sing pop songs by simply duplicating all of the instruments in "bap dap dap" fashion, and the result is almost never well suited to voices. But Scala sang their own version of the song, transforming it in the process, showing us something in it that we hadn't heard before. This is what arrangements should do. And it was sung simply, purely, with tasteful piano accompaniment and judiciously-placed harmonies. I give With or Without You five stars, and if you can purchase just that song for download, I recommend it.

But as you listen to the album, a formula begins to emerge. Up-tempo songs are preserved more or less as recorded, with the piano supplying the rhythm and harmony, and the choir taking the vocals. More introspective songs are generally slowed down, and sung quietly and sadly. Few songs are improved by this process. Smells Like Teen Spirit is interesting, stripping away the grunge-rock to get at something darker and more introspective, and substituting Nirvana's alternating quiet / loud structure for one gradual build in volume. But their version of Radiohead's "Creep" takes the same approach, and I started to question whether smoothing out the cathartic outbursts of anger, replacing them with a constant passivity, is really such a good idea.

The choir is good. They sing in tune, and their voices blend well together, but unison melodies (with occasional harmony) are not difficult to sing, and this choir is always well within its comfort zone. They sing accurately, but that's about it. If this was a school choir (which is what I thought when I first heard them), it would be very impressive indeed. But from an adult choir, we should expect some more engagement with the music. The sense of "easiness" comes through in the music. It's undemanding, both on the choir and the listener, and consequently its rewards are rather shallow.
on 11 March 2015
Easy listening, different from most compilations of songs, good as background music,