Customer reviews

on 18 May 2014
While Jelly Roll Morton later claimed to have invented jazz, you can certainly hear on this collection some of the early jazz works that made his name, and helped to spread jazz music throughout the globe.

This is a particularly good compilation - the sound quality is pretty good (I don't recall a bad one yet), and whether these are taken from cylinders or from later reissue 78s doesn't seem to even enter into it - generally there's very little surface noise that I can hear (although that may be due to the way that I listen to it). The only time that the quality appears to dip is when the track includes spoken word pieces by Morton himself - although these, it must be said, are fascinating, particularly when he talks about New Orleans funerals, or the "Spanish tinge" (for which he was, of course, famous).

I'd highly recommend this, but do pay attention to the fact that some of these are spoken word, and if that's not for you, then I'd avoid (for example, if you're having a Gatsby themed party and need some jazz to go along with it?)

For any jazz fans who want to start listening to early jazz, this is, however, an excellent purchase that I don't think you'll regret.
on 3 January 2015
The ultimate piano man
on 5 April 2013
A recent purchase of a CD of Jelly Roll Morton made me search for more on the internet. Amazon did not disappoint. I have not bought mp3 downloads before but the flawless execution leaves me in no doubt, this is the way to go!
In 10 minutes or so I was playing the tracks, all correctly labelled. I am not a fan of itunes but have to use to load iPad and iPod and mp3 are accepted by itunes - conversion is a pain.
I have listened to and collected Jazz all my life, got most of Fats Waller CD's, Kenny Ball, Humph, Chris Barber, Acker, these tracks are as good if not better.
The music is a joy, so much - 100 tunes - and at £1.49 is too good to be true. Many pieces new to me, varied rhythm, excellent playing by the greats. Dialogues by Mr Morton telling many things of his life, remembrances of his as far back as 1895. I would not be without this album - these album's. Proper music at last. dd
One person found this helpful
on 21 July 2013
Like the Bix Beiderbecke Set this was part of my growing up. 10" Plum Label 78s were gradually added to my collection

Started with Black Bottom Stomp and included The Chant and Cannon Ball Blues - these three are my favourites

The complete set is a steal and great value

Strongly recommended