on 22 January 2015
Frank is my favourite
The second entry in the Frank Turner compilations series contains a further chunky helping of miscellaneous tracks that didn't make it onto his first two studio albums. For fans, this is a great way to own some these rarities in one place. As this collection contains 22 tracks that were only recorded between 2009 to 2011, you might be spectacle in thinking that the contents might possibly be 'rushed' and not very good, but this is Frank we're talking about - it's a treasure trove.

A handful of these studio recorded tunes were already available on either the 'Rock and Roll' EP or the deluxe edition only of 'England Keeps My Bones', and the live tracks are taken from the DVD 'Take To The Road'. The rest are more difficult to track down, and there are two previously unreleased tracks: 'Linoleum' and 'The Slow Train', both of which are cover versions.

Frank always does great covers of varied and interesting songs, and among my favourites here are his affectionate live rendition of the traditional English folk song 'Barbara Allen', his spin on the 1960s pop hit 'Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations, 'Thunder Road' by one of his heroes Bruce Springsteen, and 'The Greatest Day', the Take That song which he recorded for BBC Radio 1 Live Longue, and this live acoustic performance never made it onto any of the compilation albums.

There are of course many excellent originals as well, and my favourites are possibly 'Wanderlust', 'Rock & Roll Romance' and 'To Absent Friends'.

If you're looking for an introduction to the talents of Frank Turner, 'The Second Three Years' is as good as any. I don't think you can go wrong with this man and his music really, because all of his albums are quality. This is sublime contemporary folk and rock music from a real musician who can sure play the guitar and sing a great song. I think that Frank should be even bigger than what he is if I'm honest, but if you have yet to discover him, I predict that you'll soon become a fan once you hear his voice and lyrics.
on 7 July 2012
Easily my favouite artist of the millenium so this a very biased review but hey ho. With twenty+ tracks you get your moneys worth, with tracks from his latest albums and cover versions from radio sessions the album showcases Franks songwriting skills and vocal style. Build me up buttercup and wanderlust are stand outs. Would liked to have seen i am disappeared on here but guess you'll have to buy England keep my bones album for that billy blinder of a tune
on 27 April 2012
Although I'm a massive Frank Turner fan, I still wasn't sure if "The Second Three Years" would be worth purchasing - I own more than a lot of his music already and there appeared to be plenty of duplicate tracks (four are from "Rock and Roll EP" and three from the deluxe edition of "England Keep My Bones"). In the end I'm really glad I bought this compilation as even ignoring the duplicate tracks the covers, unreleased and live tracks were well worth the investment, "Sailors Boots", "Song to Bob" and the live version of "Father's Day" being the best in my opinion.

If you're already a fan, but like me you own a lot of Frank's music then it's still well worth buying, if you're a fan but you've not got the two records mentioned above a then it's a must. If you're a newcomer then try "Love, Ire and Song" and you'll be converted.
on 25 April 2013
Fantastic artist. Great tracks - especially Frank's cover of Thunder Road.
A couple of lesser tracks but a great introduction to Frank.
Once you've bought this, you'll want to buy all his CDs - and you should do.
He's also great live!!
on 2 January 2017
I got recommended Frank turner by someone because I liked coldplay. He's got so much energy but you can relate to almost any song he's written, defo worth a listen even if you've not heard of the guy!
on 14 May 2015
Frank always surpasses my expectations and this compilation is no exception. Fantastic. Buy it. And sing your heart out. You won't be disappointed
on 15 January 2013
Bought to complete the collection, as there are extra songs on here that aren't on all the other studio albums. Worth buying even for that!
on 22 April 2013
A notable second great intro to Frank, following on from the first intro released earlier. Buy his full collection. Brilliant as always....
on 5 October 2015
Some interesting cover versions, and good to collect all the odds 'n' sods together. But not essential for the casual fan/listener.