Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 21 November 2011
It was somewhat of a surprise that Chris Daughtry didn't win American Idol in its fifth season. Thankfully though that didn't hinder his progress, two platinum selling albums later and now we have "Break The Spell," this the third album from his self titled band.
Prior to the albums release, Chris said in an interview that the new record sounds nothing like the other two. Well that's definitely not true, it's very similar, but Daughtry does try to experiment slightly with his sound, with somewhat mixed results.

Lead single "Renegade" is a prime example, it's the heaviest song on here and after a few listens you really begin to hear probably one of the catchiest choruses in any Daughtry song, a definite album highlight.
Chris reverts exactly to type though on the next single "Crawling Back To You," which although a decent song sounds just like any other he's chucked out before.
"Outta My Head" is about as uptempo as it gets, not initially a strong song but grows on you after a few listens.
"Start of Something Good" is the best song on here, without question. Mid tempo and acoustic in it's delivery with meaningful lyrics, this should be the next single and sits quite rightly towards the top of the record.

Elsewhere although there's still plenty of good songs with the same catchy melodies and choruses, they somehow all seem to sound a bit bland and predictable.
I've always felt with Chris's previous records that almost any song could be released as a single, they were all that strong. Something's missing though this time, nothing really bad on here but certainly songs like "Break The Spell," "We're Not Gonna Fall" and "Losing My Mind" are all far too similar.

No real power ballad on here either, unlike "Home" and "Learn My Lesson" from his previous albums. "Gone Too Soon" comes close, but never really builds up to that big chorus the song badly needs. Nice lyrics though.

If you've brought the deluxe edition then you'll get four extra tracks, the best of which are "Maybe We're Already Gone" and "Everything But Me." The former is a great song, should have slotted into the final twelve album tracks to break up the slow tone to the albums middle.

Overall, "Break The Spell" is still a highly enjoyable record. Chris delivers modern, mainstream rock and absolutely nothing more. He does it very well, there's plenty here to keep the array of Daughtry fans very happy, even though it's not his best record.

Definitely download:
"Renegade," "Start of Something Good," "Rescue Me" "We're Not Gonna Fall."
on 30 November 2011
Loved this album from the first listen, the sneaky pre listens that were released in the run up made it so one or two songs sounded familiar once you had bought the album. I drove home today with tears streaming down my face when Gone Too Soon was on, personal reasons but made it all the more special. The band have done themselves proud yet again. Especially being here in the UK and not hearing them on the radio!
on 14 March 2016
This is the third album by Daughtry. I think this is more depth in lyrics and kinda upbeat than their previous album 'Leave This Town' in 2009. The lead man Chris Daughtry is very talented as he pretty much wrote all the songs in this album.

Some of the tracks were used commercially on other TV programming as background music, which shows how popular they are. According to some stats, this album peaked top 10 in the US Billboard back in 2011.

I am not a huge music fan nor close to an expert but I really like the simplicity of this band when it comes to lyrics. The vocals are great and one of the reasons I got this album. It's unique even though there is plenty of shouting but I feel it has emotions and depth, if that makes some sense.

Some of the favourite tracks are "Renegade", "Outta My Head", "Crawling Back To You", "Start of Something Good", "Losing My Mind" to name a few. Overall, a very good melodic rock album!
on 27 November 2011
This album is fantastic and yes it does sound quite similar to their other albums but there are a few songs that do sound a little different such as Renegade, Spaceship and Louder Than Ever but to be honest I still think the whole album is fantastic and the last song Lullaby is quite sweet.

Chris Daughtry has a brilliant voice and sounds better than ever on this album and works very well with the band as well and there is the power ballads that similar to what is on the first two albums.

A great album that can be put on without skipping any tracks.

Highly recommended for fan and new comers to the band.

Favourite standout tracks for me are:

Renegade, Spaceship, Break The Spell, We're Not Gonna Fall, Rescue Me, Maybe We're Already Gone and Everything But Me but overall I wouldn't skip any tracks.
on 9 January 2013
Having only heard of Daughtry as being the warm-up for Nickelback when i went to see them in October 2012, i found them to be a very talented group indeed. In fact, they were that good i became a fan that very night. I could have listened to them all night, and if they tour the UK then i'll be sure to see them live. They have some great vocals, music and are overal a great band.

This album more than meets what i like from an album of this genre.
on 1 January 2014
This is a great CD. the best thing I can say is to tell you to buy it. Everyone who has heard it playing in my car have all passed comment on it. nothing negative to say. Daughtry has just got the best voice and suits the type of songs that he sings.
on 21 June 2013
After seeing Daughtry supporting Nickelback on tour last year, I just had to buy the album. I am loving it and it has not been off my CD player in the car since I received it. Just as good as what I remember from there performance
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 June 2012
Fans of Daughtry will be expecting the usual modern rock sound from the band and that's exactly what you'll get, most of the time. With the exception of one of two songs Daughtry (which seem slightly different to the usual feel) this album is just as great as the previous - and some of the lyrics are really beautiful this time too!

1.Renegade - If you're looking at this album you may have already heard this song; the lead single and an interesting sound. Not really representitive of the rest of the album's "slower" feel though.
2.Crawling back to you - Fantastic song, I love the bridge and chorus and could listen to it all day.
3.Outta my head - Edgy and upbeat; a great song.
4.Start of Something Good - Slower, we really get to hear how fantastic Chris' voice is with this one.
5.Crazy - This song is so catchy, after listening to it once it was stuck in my head for days.
6.Break the Spell - Really interesting song, a slightly faster, more upbeat, song.
7.We're not gonna fall - Great song, I love the chorus - it's so catchy!
8.Gone too soon - If you liked "Open up your eyes" you'll absolutely love this song. It's similar and absolutely wonderful.
9.Losing my mind - Slower but picks up in the chorus. I loved this song, although it is slightly different to their usual sound.
10.Rescue Me - Slower but with pretty lyrics.
11.Louder than ever - A really interesting sound, probably my least favourite on the album though - I never skip it though so it can't be that bad!
12.Spaceship - This reminded me of previous albums, it's probably as close as you're gonna get to "Home" on this album.
13.Who's they? - This one has such an eerie sound that I just couldn't stop playing it on repeat. Really cool sound.
14.Maybe we're already gone - Gritty and edgy.
15.Everything but me - Similar to Daughtry's usual sound with an interesting story (something which I think makes Daughtry so great)
16.Lullaby - Slower with pretty lyrics (quite short too so it really is a bit of a lullaby at 2.26mins)

I think this album is just as great as the others. There are elements of repetition which I suppose could be off-putting for some but for me each song was fantastic in it's own right. There are a couple of "newer" sounding songs but it's nice to see something a little different whilst keeping the stuff we already love. I have to say that this album has quite a few "slower" sounding songs but actually this suited me just fine. My favourite thing about Daughtry is the underlying messages you can find in the songs and this was preserved throughout this album. Get yourself a copy, or have a listen to a few songs first if you're still a bit unsure. You won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.
on 27 May 2013
this is an American rock band ,the lead singer was on the American idol programme ,but don't hold that against him .I love his music and find it great to relax to . everyone should try listening to one of their songs ,great .
on 17 October 2013
I LOVE Nickleback and my daughter and I went to their concert in Newcastle with Daughtry as their support group. They were playing as we went in and I was soon dancing in the aisle. I bought their album to see what it was like as love it. I will be watching out for them when they are back in this area meanwhile their music can be heard all over my hometown as I drive around listening to them.