on 3 April 2014
1.5*

This book started out promising but it quickly went downhill fast.

Things wrong with this book include (but not limited to):

- Ella
- Sleazy news guy from LA
- Pregnant ex-wife
- Ryan the sexy doofus
- A meddling Grandma who deliberately causes a fire (!)

If you took Brody/Melissa away from all those hazards, I am sure what you would have is a very nice contemporary romance but unfortunately all of the above took away any resemblance of an enjoyable novel.
4.5 stars

I really enjoyed the prequel novella to Jennifer Bernard's Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel series so I couldn't wait to read Captain Brody's story in The Fireman Who Loved Me. I have to say I think I might have found myself another favourite series because I absolutely loved this book. The story was exactly what I was looking for - it was sweet and romantic, it was hot and sexy, it made me laugh out loud and it even brought tears to my eyes. It was one of those books that I devoured in one sitting because I absolutely couldn't put it down and yes it is a book I'm going to be highly recommending to anyone who hasn't already read it.

Harry Brody is a Captain of the San Gabriel fire station, he is incredibly good at his job and has the complete respect of his colleagues. Brody is the kind of guy who is always calm and in control which makes him the perfect guy to be in charge of an emergency situation. Melissa is a news producer who lost confidence in herself thanks to her ex, she is wary of love and prefers to focus on her career - even if she does have a horrible habit of letting her colleagues walk all over her. Melissa's grandmother Nelly is determined to see her settled down with a good man so she does what any spunky and fun loving grandmother would do - she spends all of her savings at a bachelor auction buying Melissa the date of a lifetime with a hunky fireman! Melissa is mortified at her grandmother's attempts of kick starting her love life but she can't deny a strong attraction to Brody from the moment they meet. Brody was expecting to go on a date with a woman in her 80s so when it turns out that his date is actually Melissa he is delighted. As the attraction between them sizzles Melissa is the first woman who threatens to break through Brody's calm, composed outer layer and drive him to distraction.

I absolutely loved Brody and Melissa, they have both been through bad break ups in the past that have left them wary of relationships but neither of them can deny their chemistry. As much as the spark between them was enough to ignite a fire I was pleased that they also respected each other and weren't afraid to talk about what they wanted from life. There was one point where a misunderstanding between them was dragged out a little too long for my liking but apart from that I couldn't have been happier with the way things progressed between them. What I really enjoyed was watching the fireworks between them as they bantered with each other. Brody was normally so in control and kept a tight lid on his emotions but Melissa had a way of bringing out his passionate side. At the same time Melissa tended to be a complete pushover when it came to her work colleagues but she was more than able to give as good as she got when it came to Brody. They both brought out the best in each other and that made their relationship feel so much more real and believable to me.

I can't review this book without mentioning Melissa's grandmother Nelly, she was an absolutely hilarious character and she stole the show whenever she was in a scene - I would have been happy to spend much more time with her. I also loved the time spent at the fire station, having grown up around firefighters I found that the banter, teasing and nick names they had for each other was very realistic and great fun to read and I liked the way they took Melissa into their hearts because they had so much respect for Brody. I can't wait for Ryan's story but he definitely isn't the only one I want to know more about and I'm hoping that this will turn into a very long series. My one complaint about the book was the amount of page time given to Melissa's colleague Ella, she was an utterly despicable character who I hated and I wanted to reach into the book just so I could slap her. I was disappointed that she didn't really get what she deserved by the end of the book and I just hope that we don't have to spend any more time with her as the series continues. I could also have done with a little less focus on both of their exes and more page time given to the rest of the hunky bachelor firemen of San Gabriel!

In spite of a couple of minor niggles The Fireman Who Loved Me was a fabulous start to the series and it left me desperate to read Hot for Fireman which just happens to be Ryan's book (although I'm not a fan of the title which I think would have sounded a lot better as Hot for a Fireman but that's just my personal opinion). I'm looking forward to meeting the woman who can tame heartbreaker Ryan, I think she's going to have to be something special! If you're a fan of contemporary romance and love hot, hunky, heroes who are more than capable of sweeping their women off their feet then I'd highly recommend this series. Be warned though - I'll pretty much guarantee it will leave you fantasising about men in uniform!
on 25 May 2012
The Fireman Who Loved Me is the first book in Jennifer Bernard's cute and sexy new contemporary romance series which features handsome and heroic firemen as its heroes, so you can bet I was excited to read it!

The Fireman Who Loved Me opens with Melissa a serious young woman dedicated to her career meeting her old and frail grandma at a bachelor auction where women of all ages and types bid on the firemen of the San Gabriel Fire station. You can imagine Melissa's shock and embarrassment at not only being caught at such a scene but seeing her beloved but meddling grandma ferociously bidding on a young stud for her! With such a beginning I knew we would be in for a fun and witty, cute and sexy story and I wasn't wrong.

Melissa was a likeable heroine because she was such an ordinary girl, she could be you or me, her approach to life and her career was real, though be warned she is quite the feminist (it took some time for her to grow on me as she was a bit too belligerent at the beginning). And I just loved, loved LOVED her interaction with her meddlesome grandma. She had a warm heart and it was so much fun seeing how her old grandma played her easily with just a sigh or feigning exhaustion.

Harry is a wonderful hero. He has been hurt before so he has no intention of looking for romance, but it finds him when he stumbles (literally) upon Melissa. The sizzling chemistry between him and Melissa was at times very entertaining to read (the way they both tried to battle their attraction) but most of the time just plain explosive:

Hands shaking, he attacked her buttons one by one. As her creamy flesh was exposed, a kind of madness came over him. He bent his head [...] devouring her [skin] with greedy strokes of his tongue. She tasted like heaven, like forgiveness, like every good thing in the universe. She moaned and twisted under him. God, she was beautiful.

He was a true gentleman and I loved how intense and honourable he was.

"And he told you Melissa was trapped?" Brody nodded. "And what did you feel?"
That he would have thrown himself into the flames to save her. That if he couldn't save her, there would be no reason to save himself. That the entire world centered on one house, one bedroom, one irreplaceable woman who needed him.

Besides a heroine the reader can easily relate to, a tortured yet generous and selfless handsome hero, Jennifer Bernard gives us a whole array of quirky secondary characters. Some of them are a bit over the top like the meddling grandma who was a big favourite of mine:

"Oh, that fancy career of yours. You think your career is going to take care of you when you're my age?"
"As a matter of fact, yes. My IRA--"
"I don't want to hear about your IRA. It's not going to drive you to the pharmacy, it's not going to rub your feet, or change your colostomy bag." Melissa hid a smile. Nelly loved to hold up the specter of a colostomy bag, even though she herself had never had any problems along those lines.
"I'm only twenty-nine, I don't think I need to worry about my future hypothetical colostomy bag just yet."
"It's never too soon," said Nelly darkly.

or Ella, the Sexy Wicked Witch of the West, and then there are of course the firemen (and women) of the station who all brought something to the mix be it charm or heart, but they all did it with a lot of humour. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again in the next book(s).

My only complaint was how Ella became a bit of a caricature, and the way Jennifer Bernard handled Harry's ex-wife and decided to resolve the romantic drama. I found the conclusion over the top and even irritating and felt somewhat let down by it.

Verdict: Despite a few bumps The Fireman Who Loved Me was a light and fun read I'd recommend to fans of Kristan Higgins who love a love story with quite a few chuckles and some tears. Jennifer Bernard introduces a cast of memorable characters the reader will grow to love and hate instantly. A nice funny story with memorable characters, I enjoyed The Fireman Who Loved Me a lot. A cute start to a promising series, I can't wait to read the other firemen's stories!

Plot: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Writing 8/10
Ending 7/10
Cover: 10/10

I give The Fireman Who Loved Me a solid 3.5 stars!
on 10 December 2015
This is the first book I have read from this author, I really enjoyed it, nice romance, with a good background story, some sex in it but it does not over power the book, I will read more of this series
on 24 December 2012
Great character development
Wonderful story line
Thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to more by the author about the same subject matter
on 24 March 2014
A real page turner. Looking forward to reading the others in this series. Wouldn't mind having fireman like that where I live!
on 14 February 2014
Easy to read, very much a page turner, with just the right amount of naughtiness!!! Looking forward to the next instalment!