on 23 July 2013
Love this book. Puts everything into a really easy to read and easy to understand format. I teach economics and will be using this as a reference tool.
on 3 November 2015
The best simple intelligible explanation of the basis of economics I have read .Essential reading for old and young. It describes the history and principles which in my view still whole good today, unlike some of the complex economic theories many of which have been discredited, are ill understood, are no longer fashionable or are unintelligible to the lay person. Together with his later book it explains why economics is and always will be a behavioural "science" not an exact science.

Please can any one tell me how to obtain paper copies of his books. I want my two grandsons to read them so that they can understand, among other things, money in its broadest sense and to warn them against the flash boys.

Read this before graduating to John Kay and Nicholas Taleb.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2012
I wanted a quick brush up on what I already knew about economics and if possible I was keen to learn more. This short book is great for those who like me had a basic understanding of economics but wanted more insight into certain aspects, or for the complete beginner who seeks to start their economic education on the right foot. It is easily read and at times quite witty. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
on 2 May 2013
Michael Tolson's booklet is a very readable introduction to what can be a rather daunting subject. The historical references and everyday examples make it very easy to relate to the concepts involved. Clearly this is not a detailed analysis but has spurred me to look now for more in depth books.

Highly recommended
on 19 June 2013
I got to the last page then I got an error. Took ages to get it off my device . Not sure if this was a content fault or a Kindle Touch bug, Now returned for refund. Very good till the bug appreared. Maybe I should get the real book? But I don't think there is one.
on 19 November 2012
I found this book to be outstanding,largely on account of the Author"s style of writing,and by his use of continual
analogy;and,if read closely,it is not without it"s humour all going to make each topic dealt with memorable.
on 4 December 2014
Didn't learn much although agreed with the final sentiments expressed. I was hoping to be better able to understand economics and whilst the early chapters assumed little the latter ones assumed too much.
on 12 February 2013
As someone who wanted a overview of the field of economics this book was perfect. It is in no way a detailed analysis and yet it still manages to give an understanding of the forces that drive economies.
on 3 April 2013
Good summary of basic economic theory, slightly jarring now and again with a moralistic aside about the venality of man. Very good on simplifying understanding of money supply. Nice and concise too.
on 11 March 2013
Brilliantly explained and easy to read would definitely recommend to anyone trying to get theri heads round economics and the history of economics. Will now go on to read more in depth books too.