Be My Baby
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 March 2015
The most amazing thing, to me, about this wonderful compilation of sixties' ladies music is that they are identifiable from only a couple of bars. The intros of such classics as The Ronettes "Be My Baby or Mary Wells' "My Guy" are as recognizable as my own name. Even a few generations on from that epoch there are kids who were raised on this stuff by their parents and oddly enough it sounds nothing like as dated as say the music of the 70s that never stood a chance with the desperate need to do something different.

There are some oddities here though they do fit into the time frame and the gender decisions e.g.Cilla Black (??????), Clodagh Rogers or even Lulu when held up against the might of Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick and the true mighties Etta James, Mama Cass and Aretha Franklin.

Delicious to find included, however, KettyLester, Laura Nyro (there must be a Nyro revival very very soon) and the soul-stopping track of all time Lorraine Ellison's "Stay with me Baby".

Some little forgotten gems included on this magnificent three CD collection ~ "The Cookies original "Chains", The Toys "A Lover's Concerto" Tami Lynn's "I'm Gonna Run Away From You" and Tobi Legend's "Time Will Pass You By"

This is such a superb collection that I can not rate it highly enough. If you are into the history of pop go no further than this dream compilation
on 18 June 2014
near perfect selection of classics. i can't think of anything i'd want to have that's been omitted: girl groups like the ronettes, the crystals, the supremes, the chiffons, the shangri-las, the shirelles doing carole king's 'will you love me tomorrow' and ms king doing her own 'might as well rain until september'; motown with the supremes and martha reeves...
there's some less classical stuff, with 60s brit pop like petula clark, cilla black, anita harris, sandie shaw and lulu; and the selection goes as late as janis joplin 'with me and bobby mcgee' and the song that janis made better known with big brother and the holding company, 'piece of my heart' done here by aretha's big sister, erma franklin. a well chosen set of songs over all three cds. great.
on 26 December 2017
Bought for my wife for a Christmas surprise and was really let down when she found two disc 2s and no disc 3. Quality control by the releasing company is obviously terrible so I recommend you avoid as you may not get the three different discs and be let down like we were.
on 21 June 2013
this album contains all the bestfemale singers of any generation.
3 cds full of classic songs from the supremes todusty through the ronettes aretha franklin and many more.
all the classic songs everyone can remember and sing along to.
if you want to buy nostalgia get these albums and recapture a really great time of innovation and true greats.
mick cousins
on 9 March 2012
This collection takes the best of the girl groups around in the 60s and features their best tracks. Well worth the money spent on it if you were around it can take you back, if you're too young to remember the 60s then this gives an idea of the music available to us who were around when it was issued. Not that I remember too much of the 60s cos I was there....
One person found this helpful
on 9 March 2018
Good compilation.
Thanks.
on 30 August 2013
This is an absolutely fabulous 60's cd, really captures the era so well. A must for anyone who's teenage years were during
this time. Brought back so many wonderful memories of teenage crushes and carefree schooldays, of wishing we looked like
Sandy Shaw, to trying to do 'Dusty Springfield eyes'. Fabulous days!
An excellent buy with authentic sounding tracks not too 'messed about' with.
on 18 April 2018
Great CD.
on 29 April 2018
many thanks
on 16 March 2014
Excellent collection of girls ans girl groups. Arrived safely - thank you, but we were very lucky!
Your large corrugated cardboard was cello-stape one end, but completely open the other : the contents probably did not meet the 'investigator's' approval...