on 9 April 2012
Now, i must admit, compared to pricier top end smartphones, I was expecting this to be a bit oh dear!! But this is without doubt the best phone i have owned. First off it is a very quick phone, thanks to the 832mhz processor thats on board. So it is very instantanious with the commands you want it to do. Storage is ample, as it came with a 2gb memory card. The menu layout is very simple. Press a button to access the different icons, swipe to find the one you want then select. Press menu button to go back home, simple!

It features something called HSPDA which basically means you can surf the web and download fast. It also has Wi-Fi for even quicker downloads. Bluetooth is standard. Easy to connect to devices to.

It is a fantastic size to, sleek, lightweight and the build quality is excellent. Hard wearing steel back gives a premium look.

You can talk a text message to, which to be honest, you need to talk so clear, it is quicker to type!! Swype keyboard option so you drag your finger across the keyboard to type the word.

Now the only downsides are very minor. Battery life takes a big hit if you use it monumentally, but that is normal for a smartphone. Also thee camera is not aa sharp as rivals, but still good enough.

Overall, very pleased. Smartphone priced at an entry level price??.... That'll do for me!! Well recomended

UPDATE....

Had the Phone for nearly 2 months now. Has not crashed once, slowed down, or any other associated happenings you can have wth a Phone.

It has found itself to be a very easy Phone to use. Simple and clear Menus, and very colourful too. Another slight flaw is I wish the Speaker was just a bit louder when Playing back your Music. Yet for Radio and Streaming Radio from an App I got, it seems Loud and Clear, so it may well be the Quality of the Music file.

Still very pleased with the Phone. Still a Good choice I think!

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE :-)

I have had the phone for 5 months now, and I am still very impressed with it. So far everything has been running ok, and it has shown itself to be a good little phone. One flaw I have noticed, which may be a big deal for some, is the small keypad when you hold the phone vertical. But turn it horizontal, and it becomes a larger qwerty keypad, but it can be annoying when you dont wanna flip the phone.But that is a small flaw, nothing major.

Still very pleased with it

UPDATE 2 YEARS ON :-)

Well it's been 2 Years since I have had this Phone, and its used at Work and at Home and it has not put a foot wrong for me. The only thing I have started to notice is the Battery has started to lose its charge quicker than it did new, so I think soon I will be replacing the Battery. But on the whole I have had no issues with the Phone
44 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've bought this phone(from a different seller on Amazon) for my son for his 14th birthday. I'm not buying him a BlackBerry/HTC or higher spec phone than this as I feel his lifestyle of a lazy swine who doesn't look after his stuff doesn't warrant it plus this is an Android phone and so he still has access to the app market and can tweet, fakebook and whatever other social websites are out there! Can you tell I hate them! :)

The Galaxy Y is a great little device measuring 104 x 58 x 11.5mm and housing a 3-inch QVGA (240x320) TFT touchscreen.

The screen is certainly small compared to my HTC desire HD, but Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) still works well -albeit looking rather grainy due to the low-res TFT display but that won't bother him. Pics taken with the onboard camera look okay.

It fits nicely in the hand, the rounded textured back provides a comfortable and firm grip while weighing in at 98g so having a bit of weight to it.

The build quality of the Galaxy Y is sturdy with a solid feel to the handset when pressure is applied. The back cover is plastic but it fits snugly on the phone and when removed feels thick enough to be protective.

There is just one button on the right hand side which is the power/lock key, it is easy to reach when using one handed.

At the the top there is a 3.5mm headphone jack and a covered microUSB port. the cover is easy enough to remove.

On the left of the handset there is a volume rocker switch and a lanyard hole. Inside there is an 830MHz processor powered by a 1200mAh battery. Not the fastest but adequate enough in my opinion.

Samsung have stuck a tight fisted 160MB of internal memory inside which can be upgraded to 32GB with a microSD card. It came with a 2gb card too!

Here's a quick rundown of the specs. . . .3G enabled, WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, USB connectivity. Android OS version 2.3, 2mp Camera, no autofocus or flash though. You can record video, play music, there is a FM radio too! Running YouTube, social networking sites and playing games such as Angry Birds is all good! Of course you get a charger, 2gb microSD card as mentioned and the USB cable.

For me, as a hardworking pennypinching tightwad dad :) I think its a great little phone for the price.

If he drops it or loses it or explodes it somehow. . .it won't be the end of the world, for me. For him it will be! :)
I love him really! :S

UPDATE. . . .

The lad's birthday has been and gone and he's now got the phone. He's very happy with it and put a few apps on, shot a few videos of him and the boys larking around, put some headache inducing music on the thing (whatever happened to Motown?)and, his mates are quite impressed with it alledgedly, so it's all good folks!
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2012
My daughter who has just started secondary school really loves this phone and it does everything she needs and more. One word of advice and this probably goes for all android smartphones- do yourself a favour and download a free app called Lookout/Plan B from the Google apps store. She lost her phone at school and we managed to download this app remotely to her phone as she had linked the phone to her google mail account. We were able to track the phone to a specific address in the town we lived in thanks to the GPS capacity- you just text the word 'locate' to the phone and your email address will get emails locating the phone to a googlemaps address sometimes down to as specific as within a 5 meter radius. We sent this information to the school and hey presto the phone reappeared and was handed in. There are lots of interesting similar stories on the Lookout/Plan B website.
The app does not work with some more recent Android updates but it worked fine with this phone.
on 12 July 2012
First time i have had a phone like this,i think it great,the only problem i have,is that even when i put it on speaker i need to bring the phone fairly close to hear what is being said.
on 13 November 2012
This is basically a cheaper, smaller version of the Samsung Galaxy Ace. Like all Samsung phones, it is brilliant, it has different optional screen locks and a great conversational messaging service. Buy this!
on 13 May 2013
This is a neat phone, I have always enjoyed samsung as a make. The only thing that I do not like it that there is no LED light to flash when I receive my notifications. I would not recommend this phone to people with wide fingers, the keypad is very close together and when you press the N even with small thin fingers, you still press the options button by accident...
on 28 November 2012
Bit disappointing. Keypad is quite difficult to use and typing emails is slower than expected. Instruction manual limited help. Accessories support is extremely limited compared to SII & SIII products. On/Off switch has a tendency to be too easily activated.
on 16 December 2013
Received my phone today and am thrilled to bits with it. This is my first Smartphone and found it incredibly easy to set up and was texting within minutes (I'm 74)! I do need a stylus as the keyboard is a little small for ageing fingers. The phone came with several different coloured backs for even more Street cred. So far, highly recommended.
on 11 January 2014
This is a quality phone with apps at a good value price. Easy to set up comes with 4GB micro SD card but no SIM CARD you can use a SIM card from your old phone just slot it in under the battery and away you go !!
on 2 August 2013
this phone was for nephew he loves it easy to use great price all the android apps on it great camera fantastic buy