Customer reviews

Price:£4.99

on 9 March 2017
love the series
on 15 May 2017
Well worth reading these stories, enjoyed a lot
on 20 March 2017
Great seller, item as described!
on 12 September 2015
If you enjoyed hunger games you will enjoy these books... Good read :)
on 26 August 2014
Interesting ideas and worth a read.
on 24 March 2017
loved reading these books
on 24 July 2017
Very good condition
on 23 March 2012
I finally got Crossed in my hands, after a year of waiting and it did not disappoint. I wasn't expecting too much (it is filler after all) but it does really deliver for me. It's not action packed and the characters spend the majority of their time wandering around the same place, but the new characters and events that happen really made me fall in love with story. The new characters are Vick, Eli and Indie (suitably Dystopian sounding names), and they really add a new layer to the story. I particularly liked Indie, whose character develops more throughout the book and she almost felt like a real person to me. Vick is similar in that he also develops through the story and after telling his past to Ky, also becomes like a real person.

The environment itself, is rather barren. This was expected - wandering around the inside of a Canyon was not. Something more desert-like, similar to the Scorch Trials was what I expected but the inside of a Canyon is certainly an interesting idea.

Ky's side of the story is a nice touch as well. I'm not if he feels so familiar because Cassia knows him so well, or because his voice is very similar to that of Cassia's.

I should mention the similarities between this and Scott Westerfeld's Uglies, as that series is a favourite of mine. Cassia, like Tally, believes in what her society is doing and is looking forward to her future, in the societies grasp. Until a stranger (in Cassia's case, Ky, and Tally's case, Shay) turns up and they see the Society for what it is and escape. Somewhere along the way they are separated and have to find each other again. And of course there's a Rebellion wandering somewhere around the middle of nowhere. I hold the hope that this is just a coincidence, however.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2011
I was a huge fan of Matched when it came out last year and have been pining for Crossed ever since. I went into this book with high expectations, the back of the book talks about a rebellion rising and the picture of Cassia breaking out of the bubble made me think things were going to EXPLODE in this sequel but sadly I was left disappointed.

I started this book really confused. It's been a long time since I read Matched, as I'm sure it has been for a lot of people, and I couldn't really remember the ending. With a lot of books this isn't really an issue as authors are usually pretty good at re-capping past events. Yeah that didn't happen with this one, and so I spent the first hundred pages kind of confused. Luckily as I read on I managed to figure stuff out on my own and snippets came back to me but if your memory of Matched is a bit fuzzy like mine was I would really recommend re-reading Matched before starting Crossed.

Crossed is told from both Cassia and Ky's perspective which I think had both its pro's and con's. In Matched I really liked both Ky and Xander but if I had to pick one I'd probably of gone with Xander. This book really gives us a chance to get to know Ky better and I was really touched by the parts where we see Cassia through his eyes. However I didn't think that Ally Condie did a good job at making Cassia and Ky's voices distinctive from one another. Despite stating their names at the beginning of each chapter their voices were so similar that I had to constantly flick back to see whose perspective I was supposed to be reading from because there was no distinction between them other than a name stated at the beginning of each chapter.

There were some things I did like about this book. I really liked the introduction of some new and interesting characters particularly Eli and Indie. I also liked getting to know Ky better and watching Cassia develop from Society Cassia in to Rebel Cassia. I can't take away from the fact that Ally Condie is an extremely talented writer who writes some incredibly moving and beautiful scenes but unfortunately a dual narrative clearly isn't her strong point and I really hope she tells the last book from just Cassia's perspective.

When I got to the end of the book the first thing that came to mind was- is that it? This whole book is basically Cassia wondering around some canyons. There's no answers, no action and the book ends right where Matched left off and leaves us none the wiser regarding anything really.

Crossed for me was a really pointless book. Absolutely nothing happened plot wise. This is a book entirely based on character development. I hate to say this but I was bored and when I finished reading I felt like this book was a huge waste of my time mostly because I didn't learn anything different that I didn't already know from having read Matched. This is a bit of a circle book where the author takes us on this great long journey just to end up back where we started. I was disappointed with this one but as there's only one book left in the series I will still be checking it out and hope that Ally Condie will finally give us some answers.
on 30 December 2011
Crossed is told from the point of views of both Cassia and Ky this time around, instead of being all about Cassia and it starts off from where Matched left us; with Ky not being around and Cassia planning on going to find him. As both characters start out in completely different places, I thought the dual narrative was a great idea. This way, we are able to see what is going on around each of them, learn more about what they have been through and at the same time, realise just how much they mean to each other. The contrast in what they are both going through really dragged me in to the story and made me remember what they had both been through in the previous book.

As Cassia and Ky's stories begin to blend together, I began to feel a better sense of the whole world Ally Condie has created. In Crossed, we get to learn a hell of a lot more about the Society, Aberrations (which is what Ky is), the Rising and a little bit more about Anomalies. I loved learning about the different sections of this world and how they all fitted together. It isn't only about how everything fits together in the hear and now though. Crossed manages to go back into the history of the world, with barely using flashbacks, and lets the reader know why things are the way they are now. As the pieces of the puzzle began to fit together, I could really see how things had gotten to be this way and why people either agreed or disagreed.

For me, Crossed was really one big adventure with Cassia trying to find Ky to Ky trying to do the best for everyone around him but also stay true to himself at the same time. The book takes place over a few different setting because of the characters being separated and trying to find each other. The main setting though really is in the caves and here is where things begin to be revealed. I loved this setting though as not only were we given a lot of information, the setting itself was pretty dangerous. The land isn't flat and safe but instead, gave a sense of danger and intensity that I haven't felt from this series before. I felt as though anything could have happened in this cave and I don't think I was really prepared for what did happen.

As well as obviously spending a lot of time with Cassia and Ky in this book, there are also some fantastic new characters. Again, this comes down to the fact that Cassia and Ky are separated and so they make new friends and acquaintances along the way. Out of new characters Indie, Eli and Vick, I think I would have a hard time picking an absolute favourite. I really liked all of them for very different reasons and I think they made a great addition to this book. Each of them brought something new, different and exciting and because they were completely new, I didn't know what to expect from them. Speaking of characters though, one who I missed a lot in Crossed was Xander. Although he is in the book, is isn't for very long and I did want a lot more from him. I think he will make a great comeback though in the third and final book.

Now after reading other reviews, it seems that people didn't think anything happened in Crossed but I couldn't disagree more. So much happened in this book, setting it up perfectly for some exciting and shocking things to happen in the last book in the trilogy. I loved Crossed and can't wait for the next book to come out now!