Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 14 June 2017
Ive always liked Dawn French, she is very funny and has a great all round character.
I grew up warching her.
on 30 October 2016
A good and good humoured. It was refreshing to read an autobiography in letter form. I enjoyed reading the letters to Madonna
on 12 March 2017
A delightful read.
on 7 February 2015
Very funny read
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2008
Dawn French doesn't need any introduction - she is a well known comedy actress, loved by many, and is most well known for being half of French and Saunders, and as the wonderful Vicar of Dibley.

What surprised me about this autobiography is the fact that the focus isn't really on her career, and her fame. It's certainly a large part of the book, outlining her early days in the Comic Strip, the films she took part in, as well as her recent roles.

However, the fascinating aspect of this book is the way that Dawn shares her life growing up, the relationships she's had, her heartaches and her joys. She fiercely loves her family, her friends, and her colleagues, and that shines through. (However, she most certainly does not like Madonna! ;))

The book is written as a series of letters, to various people.. a large proportion of these are written to her father, and it's easy to understand why, as he had such an affect on her. One particular letter had me in tears, and I was so glad to see Dawn reaching a type of resolution by the end of the book.. which did make for a good place for it to finish.

Dawn's voice is obvious in the book, you can almost hear her speaking it in your mind.. in her own unique style. There are serious moments in the book, but the humour that you expect is always there. Who else would write a letter to her niece, talking about her life ahead of her.. including what it may be like to have a big bosom?!

For anyone who has enjoyed watching Dawn French over the years, I would highly recommend this autobiography, not only as a peek into her life, but also as a better understanding of the sort of person she is.
0Comment| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2013
I didn't like her writing style at all. Given that I am a huge admirer of the author ( or why would I buy the book) I am more than surprised that I found the way it was written, childish and irritating. It has made sure I don't buy her other books either. I will still find her TV writing and acting thoroughly entertaining though, but this was not for me.
on 10 March 2013
I started reading this but was easily distracted. which is not a very good sign. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the format but it just didn't work for me. I got a third of the way through and decided to watch paint dry instead. i will give it another try as I really admire Dawn- I was maybe in the wrong frame of mind
on 20 August 2013
I normally enjoy Dawn French but I cannot get into this book as she flits from one member of family to another, I find the part of the book I have read extremely disjointed and uninteresting
on 20 February 2013
I tried to read this but gave up after a short while. Just seems like endless rambling on with no direction. Very dissapointed as I'm a great Dawn French fan.
on 22 August 2014
I had to stop reading half way through before I died of boredom.