Bought this for a re-build of a system. This has "version 2.3" stamped on the fan area
First off, it's not "silent", though it's not hugely noisy either about the same level as many OEM off the shelf pc's with their power supplies.
Yes it has a large 120mm fan, but it appears to run only at one speed, rather than the variable speed of more expensive power suplies. If the manufacturer had picked a slower fan speed it might be very quiet. As it is, it's not deserving of the description "silent" but bar some turbulence noise it's not ear shatteringly noisy.

Quiet PC users will no doubt be looking for higher priced power supplies anyway, just something to bear in mind.

Onto the actually power supply, the build is simple and basic (though acceptable at this price) There are an adequate number of SATA and molex connectors, and the cable length is suitable for up to a mid sized ATX case (you might stretch a bit with bigger. cases)

Only the main board cable is sleeved, again at the low price point this isn't a problem for me. For the moment, voltages appear stable and satisfactory in the dual core Athlon II I used this in.

If I were to be critical it's in 2 areas. Firstly there is no power supply cable provided, just an empty white box which looks about the size for a cable, but with nothing in it! And there are no screws provided either. On the cable, that is annoying; Amazon really should provide a power cable with this power supply if the manufacturer doesn't. I have a lot of screws around so that wasn't a problem for me.

So bottom line, an ok budget PSU (so far) For a replacement build or a super budget pc build this might be a reasonable choice. I didn't want to spend much on a power supply for the re-build (actual PC isn't worth that much) If you are going to be a bit more demanding power supply wise with graphics cards, or want a "pretty quiet and solid" power supply I can recommend the CX range from Corsair, they have proven reliable and not overly expensive either.

This power supply is about half the cost of the CX ones, so if your budget is very tight it might be suitable. Certainly not the worst PSU I've used, but you do get what you pay for clearly. If the maker turned down the fan speed to near inaudible levels, and a power supply cable was provided, I'd give it 4 stars. As it is an ok PSU just bear in mind the points above.

I'll update the review if any isues arise longer term.

Update Jan 2014:
PC has been in use for some months now, no issues to report so far. It's still not as quiet as I would like, but it has to date been reliable. I had a few more pc things to do so acquired a Corsair VS350, which is a bit cheaper than the CX430, and is also pretty quiet (most of the corsair PSU's are pretty quiet bar at high loads, where they are a bit audible though far from loud) I would have a look at the VS350 if you are on a budget (yes it costs more but it's longer 3 year warranty and better 85% efficiency will probably be worthwhile. I've no issues with the CIT, but I would like that fan speed either temperature controlled or reduced. Still worth a look if you're on a shoe string budget for a PSU.
review image review image
on 12 September 2016
many say get this or get that but cit make some very good power supplies.
all i have used in the past are working past the other components inside the case . thats about 9 pc desktops .......
do not doubt the brand .
its industry standard and fairly good parts are used in these power supplies for your cash spent .
they just do the job they work and what more does one need ?
one of the most common feature of cit is to have unpainted powers supply enclosures .
but who is looking at it anyway ?
good power supply for repairs and rebuilds and general pc use .
millions of pc,s have metal looking cit power supplies inside them thats millions of these inside them
just not pre painted as this foxy little number is .
on 14 February 2012
For the money (I bought mine for £15) this is a great value PSU. It is very silent with plenty of SATA connectors. Replaced a faulty PSU on a zoostorm PC and working great so far. It is not the best PSU out there of course (see the price) so it is very light and I was slightly concerned that something rattles inside it when you shake it, hope it's not an important part falling off. But it works. I would not put it into a PC worth more than £400, maybe even £300+ but it's OK for £200 systems, would be stupid to put a £40+ PSU for a budget build.

What you get:

1x 20+4pin Main Power Connector
1x 4pin p4 ATX12V Connector
3x 4pin Molex Connector
3x SATA Connectors
1x 6pin PCI-Express Connector
1x Floppy Drive Connector
on 30 December 2014
CiT Power Supply's seem to be a reliable budget power supply as ive done a build with the gold 600w power supply of CiT and had no problems. i would say the black edition is much quieter than the gold edition CiT PSU.

Marks Out Of 5

Quietness - 4.5 - I think my new CPU fan makes more noise, Even when gaming at 720p this is very quiet PSU
Build - 4.7 - Sata power cables did require a bit of force to slip in, overall very strong build
Looks - 5 - Looks better than a gold PSU and has a power switch
Reliable - 4.8 - it doesn't look like it will have any problems any time soon, much better than my old one
Gaming - 4.9 - it does really well for a budget power supply. The consistent power is really good & didn't overheat but yes it get a little warm but that's generally caused by the environment its in. would i recommend for gaming Yes it does the job
Cables - 5 - plenty to spare i can still add like 2 more hard drives on top of my 2 which are in already and good lengths

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars. perfect for general use, Good for gaming. Easy to put in and install, taken me around 5 minutes to setup in total its that easy.

Cons: 400W still has room for upgrades not much but better than overkilling & and No Power cable but not to bothered as i used my old one
on 12 January 2015
Its okay for a low priced Power Supply Unit. It included a 6-pin PCI connector. Unfortunately the 4-pin Connector was a little short to fit my mid tower case with bottom mounted PSU, i barely managed to stretch it under my graphics card. This was bought to replace a older noisier PSU in an older gaming case for my kids. Since the whole rig was old i didn't want to buy an more expensive PSU for around £30.00 above as I was expecting their gaming rig to die pretty soon, still alive though. Unfortunately as well this PSU was really loud in this particular rig as we could hear the fan revving through the floor board above our dining room. When i refitted this PSU in a different case without a dedicated graphics card it was less loud, maybe just a bad config combination. If you have a brand new PC or a gaming PC i wouldn't recommend it, go for a better quality build. But if you are looking for a quick replacement and don't really mind if your rig dies, then its okay for the price, but be advised there are cheaper makes like the Ace brand which will provide similar performance for lightly less money.
on 2 February 2013
I weren't to sure about buying a cheap psu but on a budget computer build . I thought I would try it for the price . It's working great at the minute and very quiet . Had it one month and nothing has happened concerning the psu . Would recommend for the budget pc builds :)
on 30 December 2014
Relatively loud, I'm using this in a rig that realistically will never pull more than 60 watts of power all things considered. You shouldn't expect this PSU to perform at it's 400W rating at all, half that is optimistic unless you want it to pop a few months down the line.

CiT are the cheapest you can get, and the PSU reflects that. It was definitely what I was expecting but I write this in the hopes that newcomers on the PC scene don't buy this expecting to run graphics cards and power hungry CPUs (i5s/i7s/FX series).
on 26 April 2017
Nice and quiet with plenty of connectors for most older (and newer, "basic") systems. I wouldn't recommend if for someone building a gaming system for example but for most people more than adequate.
on 24 February 2015
Not silent but quiet. 3 SATA connectors, 3 molex, a 6 pin PCI supply and 4 pin 12v supply in addition to the usual 20/24 power connector. Although it doesn't come with a power lead (I've dozens of those) it does come with screws (I've hundreds of those!). Great value for a computer that only needs a 'normal' supply
on 13 August 2013
Cheap and cheerful. I had my doubts (considering the price), but I'm pleased to say I've been running it for a few months now with now issues at all. I can recommend this PSU.