Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 20 January 2013
Gabriel is a teenager living in an unnamed Christian town in the American desert. All the inhabitants are survivors or their offspring of the Scourge, when flesh eating zombies took over the land. One day a circus comes to town and Reverend Joe warns the people to stay away. But Gabriel and his brother want to see what all the fuss is about.

Circus of the Dead is a novela of 136 KB and was written in 2011. It is a zombie horror story that is fun to read. It is a book of escapism and was an enjoyable read. It was entertaining and written in the first person. The writing quality and style are good. The pace is right and the editing is spot on. This is a bright story that is a joy to read. When you get to the ending you discover that Circus of the Dead is not just a zombie horror story. There is a message about society, religion and how small an individual's place is on earth. I consider Circus of the Dead a good book and I will be voting it 4 stars.
on 14 February 2015
I tried this as an experiment as it has a lot of favourable reviews, not usually being into post-apocalyptic horror myself.
I’m not a convert, but fair’s fair. I found the characters drew me in which is never easy in a short story. The faintly weird style of writing seemed to fit in with a weird world and, overall, the story fitted the story length. One minor criticism: as other reviewers have noted the ending did seem a bit rushed and inconclusive. What happened in the second Scourge then, which this incident triggered?
Also, just a minor continuity issue I can’t help mentioning. Who, in this new environment, had managed to determine that five billion souls had been killed in the first Scourge, and how was this information communicated to our narrator living in a town made out of scraps of wood with no electricity?
Just a thought – poetic licence I understand - and it was fine overall.
on 23 September 2013
Set in a post Zombie Appocolips, It shows how some communities come together and survive. Then wham out of the blue it starts all over again caused by religious bigatry and blind faith. The zelots accidently start the whole zombie attack over again.
on 5 November 2012
I didn't really enjoy this book. I picked it up as there are a lot of good reviews on here and on .com but I'm surprised at the ratings.

The book is free and the story is okay but it's one of those stories that you finish and know you got nothing from it and will never remember it.

I didn't really have any feeling for any of the characters and although it's a short story I felt there could have at least been a little more background.

I never want to give away spoilers but the ending had no thought put into it at all. It just seemed like a quick easy way to tie up the book as if the author had got bored writing it.
on 4 September 2012
Good story and really refreshing take on a zombie apocalypse, set about 20 years after the 'Scourge'.
Although the writing is strong and a very interesting premise to read, the ending let the whole story down. It felt rushed and 'tacked on' and did not read as well as the rest of the story. That is really the only fault I have with this story; if the ending was as strong and well-written as the rest of the story this would easily have been rewarded four stars from me.
on 15 July 2012
I downloaded this short story for free on my kindle, it is set in America 20 years after the majority of the population has been killed by zombies. A circus comes to a small town in the desert, showing wonders that the children have never seen before, tigers, elephants, and a real undead zombie. The story is well written and the plot is a mix of Richard Laymon and Ray Bradbury, well worth a read.
on 17 April 2013
I have enjoyed many zombie apocalyptic tales ; however , this one is a very different approach. I enjoyed the book, but in comparison to others of the same genre, this does not reach the level I had hoped.

The plot was intriguing to say the least, although the story line was slowly unravelled to a anti climatic end. STILL a country mile away from what I could attempt and in retrospect the book is still enjoyable.
on 20 September 2012
This novel started with SO much promise. The scene was set beautifully. The characters had just enough detail for the reader to care about them without tiring of their back story. However, once the circus was reached, there seemed to be a mad dash for the finish line! I so wish the author had slowed down and let the story unfurl as it did at the start rather than trying to condense it into a short story.
on 17 November 2012
Good short story - interesting all the way through, well written and fun to read. If you like short stories and you like lightweight horror then this is worth reading.
on 19 September 2012
A GOOD LITTLE NOVEL TAKING YOU FOR 20 YEARS IN TO THE APOCOLYPSE RATHER THAN THE BEGINNING. I READ IT IN ABOUT 2 HOURS, AND IT KEPT ME GRIPPED TO THE END. WORTH A READ