Customer reviews

on 1 February 2012
This is the third of these re-mix albums I've bought (I skipped the Christmas one). It's an entertaining listen but way too short on playing time. Clocking in at a mere 26 mins, featuring only 10 tracks, for the price it should be double this length, i.e. more tracks. Given that the music's already recorded, it surely wouldn't take too long to re-mix a few more and give better value for money. One final point, how is this a "Delux" edition, it's in a standard jewel case. A card slipcase is not enough to qualify it as deluxe.
on 13 June 2013
Purchased along with three other volumes, I hesitated for a long time before sending for these remix albums. And my heart was pounding with dread as I slotted the first disc into my player. The first few seconds were filled with natural and instinctive resentment towards anything or anyone tampering with Elvis Presley's music, but then, my hand reached for the volume control and I found myself raising the volume rather than lowering it or even switching it off altogether. Then, I raised the volume again, and again, and then again!

Wait a minute now. This could not have been possible. Not from a diehard Elvis fan like me. No way!

But yes, I discovered that not only do I like these remixes, I love 'em!! Why? Because they sound like Elvis recorded them today. And because so much respect has gone towards these Elvis tracks. The remix artists who waved their magic wand over the old tracks that had been giving joy to the world for decades are obviously big Presley fans and knew what they were doing. We may not prefer these over the original gems but boy do they sound good too. And here's the trick - they still sound E L V I S.

There is so much new energy on these new remixes from mainly added drum and bass sounds that accentuate the power that emanated from the original tracks. And each track is mixed individually to suit the song itself. Whereas you would not hear the original recordings in today's night clubs or dance gigs but they are playing these remixes. And that's what it's all about - they are still listening to Elvis Presley!

There are three more volumes, each with a different name and a different album colour. And with the exception of one or two odd tracks, all the songs on the four volumes are great. I recommend you give them a listen with an open mind and judge for yourself.

The remixed tracks you'll find on this particular album are:

POCKETFUL OF RAINBOWS
BIG BOOTS
IT'S NOW OR NEVER
YOU GIVE ME FEVER (FEVER!)
WOODEN HEART
DONTCHA THINK IT'S TIME
MAKE ME KNOW IT
STUCK ON YOU
I GOTTA KNOW
ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT?
on 27 April 2012
As a longstanding fan I am not supposed to like youngsters messing around with Elvis's music, but I have always felt that much of his music lacked "body" compared with other music from the 1960s onwards so I do welcome these attempts to update the music. Having said that, I still have the originals to turn to, so there is no real harm done with these re-mixes.
So what about the music on this Spankox offering?
I find that it varies between the excellent (Pocketful of Rainbows) and the "why did he bother" category (Big Boots, Wooden Heart). He seems to favour the sound of music coming down a telephone line which spoils some of the tracks and wasn't needed, and Are You lonesome Tonight has so little additional instrumentation that it lends nothing new to the song. Fever reminds me of techno sounds of the 80s and spoils the deliciously sexy feel of the original (which was far sexier than Peggy Lee's version).
Overall it is listenable and has the advantage of the more full sound for playing in the car. There are only 10 tracks and I'm sure he could have found some worthier tracks to work on, however, I don't think you will be disappointed.
On balance though, I much prefer Viva Elvis.
on 31 March 2012
Normally being a massive elvis fan I'm quite skeptical about remixes as I feel the music should be left the way it is. However..... I actually love this album and have bought the other remix albums from spankox too. You can tell he's actually and elvis fan too and not some random cashing in on the king. Ace job and a must buy for elvis fans
on 15 November 2012
it makes a change to hear elvis with modern arrangements,although they wont beat the original arrangements if you were around like i was when they first came out.still i cant help playing this cd at full blast when im driving, recommend it to all elvis fans .
on 7 May 2013
Awsome album if you love these classic songs you will love these alternative takes on this CD a must for fans even with only 10 tracks!
on 30 December 2013
For Elvis Fans Another Completely Different Revamp Of A Lot Of His Classics. Refreshingly UpTempo Sound For Elvis Presley Definitely.
on 19 June 2013
Should have been more tracks for this price. Could have combined two of the CDs. Would have made it a better purchase.
on 25 January 2015
Nice re-mixes but running time is way to short for a full price album. Don,t know what.s De-luxe about it?
on 19 January 2012
Another great presentation of this great artist.
Even after all these years his music lives on and will continue to do so.
This CD gives another aspect of his recordings and I enjoyed it.