on 9 April 2013
My son bought these with his savings (for a whopping 28 euro) from the disney shop at the end of a trip to euro Disney. He finally got to open them when we returned home but to his great disappointment they do not work. Together we spent a few hours trying to set them up with no luck. The instructions aren't clear enough to explain what is the precise alignment and there seems to be no way of knowing that the units are even turned on. I've checked the batteries, checked the batteries are the correct way around etc. My husband also spent some time trying with the same result. He did get a random alarm to sound, but at the time the units weren't even pointing at each other.
Even if I knew how to set them up and get them working, they are one of the most badly designed toys I have seen for a long time. Considering the units are supposed to work up to 1.5 m apart, the child has to be able to switch both units on simultaneously whilst also maintaining the 'perfect' alignment (there is no margin for error). If this wasn't difficult enough, the position of the switches make it virtually impossible to do - they are underneath Ian sunken position between the 'outer' plastic shell. And if you do get it to work, it switches itself off after 45 mins and you have to reset by switching it off and then repeating the set up. Total nightmare.
My son is so disappointed and upset that even though he didn't buy them from amazon I want to warn other potential purchases because this product simply should not be on the shelves.

Ok- a few hours later and we got them working after much trial and error. Still not quite sure how. First we got random alarms with only one switched on by completely covering the sensor. To set them we put the units together so that the sensors were touching to get the alignment, then switched them on. After that you can move them apart. They don't respond well in a room with good light (even though the instructions say they need to be in a well lit room). They seem to respond much better in darker conditions. They are very temperamental but at least we finally have them working in some capacity. I still wouldn't recommend them unless you are prepared for the frustration of setting them up, but hopefully this info will help anyone who buys from here.
on 2 August 2016
difficult to align, not brilliant to use. Do look the part though very detailed.