on 18 February 2014
I love this radio. The FM reception is very poor in our area but the DAB is good. There are two stations that are my favourites Classic fM & BBC Radio 4 extra. I record episodes on Radio 4 extra so that I can listen to the episodes one after another. Some people may find the recording set up a little complicated; think of it like this, you are giving instructions then you have to confirm those instructions. Get yourself a piece of card, write the instructions out & have a few trial runs; you will soon find that it becomes automatic, remember to make good use of the daily & weekly settings. There is more to this radio but I haven't tried everything. It makes an excellent job of what I wanted it for. Yes I could use iPlayer but with the recordings I can listen to the programmes long after they have been taken off the air.
on 25 October 2013
The only box it does not tick is the inability to delete recorded files from the radio without tranferring the SD card to a computer. It is not easy to identify what you have already listened to when on computer to delete files.

Otherwise it has great tone, adequate recording settings and long battery life when used to playback recordings. My initial discomfort with the file nomenclature was shortlived. It is entirely logical once one gets used to it. I regularly rename the files by inserting an additional word or two to help find what I want to listen to. I used to frequently do 5 hour drives with a non DAB car radio with poor reception and of course could only listen to current broadcasts. Now I won't do a long distance drive without my Roberts DAB Record in playback mode so that I can listen to my favourite programmes. The controls buttons are safer than the fitted car radio and are easily manipulated without ever taking my eye off the road. 5 hours fly by and I have been known to sit in the car for an extra 5 or 10 minutes at the end of my journey just to hear the end of a recording.
on 29 February 2012
The first one I purchased was so troublesome I assumed it was faulty and got a replacement but the second was the same. It struggled to auto tune on both DAB and FM despite being in an area with a high signal strength. It crashed repeatedly when switching multiplexes (Any BBC national station to anything else) you then had to disconnect the power supply and remove the batteries before it could be turned off! If you had a timer set, the stop time was reset to the start time resulting in a 24 hour recording (you didn't make a mistake decksj it just does that) The timer is straight out of a 1980's vhs machine and if you don't enter every thing quickly it times out and you have to start again. "Fast Forward" is x4, very slow indeed. You can't erase recordings, do you know of a camera that doesn't let you erase pictures?

This is a dreadful product and Roberts should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2013
Best radio ever had. Does exactly what it states, very easy to set up self explanatory. Beautiful tone & good reception.
on 26 January 2014
Have been recording radio programmes for over 30 years - and so far this looks the business - especially as the current firmware now lets you check recordings and delete them. Once you get the hang of the procedure - and it really isnt that complex at all - then it all seems very straightforward.
I guess I could mutter about the radio quality - not up to my Pure's standard - but certainly good enough and, if I was really fussy, I could rig up a lead and play back the recording through another source (even the Pure!) - and, of course, it iss the recording facility I bought it for.
The only aspect I'm not yet on top of is the display of the file names - strikes me it might be easy to accidentally delete the wrong one as they scroll across. So at the moment I'm deleting files on the netbook (which rather handily has a card reader built in) while I build my confidence!

I imagine we are a pretty small bunch who want the record facility but, for those of us do, so far - very pleased indeed and nothing comparable about!
on 22 October 2014
It is a very smart, quality looking radio. I bought it mainly because of the recording facility. It does record well, but funding the files is quite complicated for my wife who is not very techie. As others have said, it looks up for no reason at all. While trying to 'tune' it will stay on that screen or say No Service, and will not allow you to switch off and try again. I have to pull out the mains lead and then open the battery compartment to take a battery out. This then resets the radio and will then often do what it did not do in the first place. Like another person I read about, I have bought an on/off push button switch to connect to the battery compartment once the radio is out of guarantee. It is very sad that it has these issues, because otherwise it is an excellent radio with good tone and also doubles as an MP3 player if you put tracks on the SD card before inserting it.
on 16 July 2014
Great radio. Has a built-in alarm clock. Exactly what I wanted.
on 15 February 2013
I purchased this product because it is one of the few dab radios that can record programmes on to an SD card. The radio had a record/write fault that resulted in me having a new replacement radio. The radio is not sterio.The sound and apperance of the radio is that expected of a Roberts product.
on 15 May 2015
Probably the only rADIO ON THE MARKET WITH AN INSTANT AND TIMER RECORD FACILITY WHICH IS INVALUABLE. Drawback is tyhe quality. I have had five in five years due to various problems and now latest one isnt reading the sd card.
on 23 June 2014
Previously had a Roberts RD41 that was very good at recording DAB until it recently gave up. Could only find a couple of current models that allowed the user to record and indeed record via pre-set timers, this device and the Pure Evoke F4, at least twice the price. As a radio it is fine but as a recording device poor particularly when compared with my old RD41....
a) No EPG so setting up is manual and if you hesitate, during the long process, it goes back to radio and you start the process of setting again.
b) Records in mp2 so I have to run software on the PC to convert to mp3
c) As a feature it splits programs into multiple 30 minute files , not a step forward, and the files start with no appendage so the second file is called 1 ! Once again PC software is needed to stitch the files into one.
d) Unlike the the RD41 when a timed recording starts it switches the device on at what ever volume you had last used it, very enjoyable if the program starts at 3am! You have to manually turn the volume down every time, that is if you always remember to do it