Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 January 2012
I'm on my third playing already and it's only half past eleven on the day of release!!

The Face of Mount Molehill has combined the energy from previous NCT albums - Rooster Was A Witness and the title track being prime examples - yet has some achingly beautiful melodies that give me the goosebumps.

The addition of strings, and other subtle additions (see the "Making Of" video on the NCT web site!) has added another dimension to the superb trio. Some parts take me back to Neil's Pretz album.

The opening "Lament", "Meyer", "Skies Are Rare" ooze with lovely strings - there are hints of Einaudi piano + cello. Hugely uplifting!

Have to say I'm having a little trouble digesting "Fable" with its dischords, and the laughing on "Mini Ha Ha" track is creepy! LOL! Having seen the video there's definitely some Neil Cowley fun and a trifle madness behind the tracks.
UPDATE: Actually, "Fable" is seriously growing on me!!

Top stuff from the trio - toe tapping, head rocking, heart lifting, jazz goodness :-)

...now to see if I can get to any of the gigs!

WARNING: Amazon have _two_ versions of the MP3 album - one has an extra track!! Wish I had noticed this before :-(
on 11 February 2012
Great melodies here offset nicely by the strings. Only downside is the track Mini Ha Ha which has a most irritating (baby?) sound affect on it and jars after the excellent preceding tracks (Damm it's playing now )
Tempted to dock one star but will settle for reburning this to CD with this track at the end !
on 12 January 2013
This is by far one of my favourite downladed albums - I agree with the previous reviewer who said this probably isn't jazz!

I play this in the tech room at school when I am working, am sure I have annoyed many people but I can't help listening to it.

I went to see them at the Barbican at the end of last year, they are absolutely stunning on stage, if you enjoy the album their concerts are brilliant - try and get tickets! I don't know if they will be in concert/recordings again with the Goldsmiths strings however the string writing on these tracks is amazing.

We all like the dinosaur on the piano too!
on 28 January 2012
There are some great tracks on this album. However, I have dropped it 1 Star due to track six (mini ha ha) as it seems out of place compared to the rest of the album. If they had included it as a bonus track it would not have mattered, but coming right in the middle of the album as it does it spoils the flow.

Whilst this has some outstanding tracks, it does not sit together quite as well as Radio Silence as an album.

Edit - I am disappointed to see that the MP3 version available on Amazon has an exclusive extra track. Why short change purchasers of the CD? Musicians should understand that this kind of marketing gimmick leaves a bad taste in the mouth of fans.
on 29 September 2015
I came across a neil cowley trio on my YouTube recommendations I heard slims.what a fantastic tune. So I heard a few samples on Amazon took the plunge and down loaded the album, I've never really listen to jazz ? Is this jazz? I don't know, One thing I do know it is a fantastic album. And if this is Jazz I'm hooked.
This is an absolutely stunning album from the Neil Cowley trio, this time augmented by strings and guitars.

Musically, the tunes are based around memorable and catchy piano riffs with hints of urgent, rocky rhythms (Such as on Fables) and plenty of build ups to crescendos that then fall away. In amongst this there are gentle, almost pastoral passages, such as the opening track, Lament. Pace and direction change quite often within the songs.

The addition of strings gives the album a classical feel, and fits in well with the dramatic tunes.
on 7 March 2012
Simply an amazing album by simply an amazing. Has quickly become the theme tune to most to most of my current waking life. While I've heard and liked few Trio artists (EST band plus ect.) they tend to after a while end up being hard to differentiate and occasionally nearing towards easy listing material. Neil Cowley Trio however continues to produce ever more distinctive, innovative and beautiful tracks that even after several listens I am picking out more and more detail in the composition. I look forward to their next project with anticipation.
on 1 February 2012
Another great album from the Neil Cowley trio. Can't wait til the concert in March when we will get to hear and feel all the magic that you just can't get onto a CD.
on 9 June 2015
Love their music! Soothing yet interesting. I love listening to them while I work on my paintings, And this album is fabulous, except for the "mini ha-ha" song which really gets on my nerves and I have taken of my playlist. But I am considering buying yet more of their albums (already have 2).
on 16 February 2012
Their best album so far, the addition of strings was always going to be a winner, it fits in perfectly with Neil Cowley's compositions (as was evident at the Cheltenham Jazz festival last year when their previous albums got the string treatment). Atmospheric, moving, fun...and great production that makes you glad you invested in a decent pair of headphones.