Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard Edition|Change
Price:£15.40+ Free shipping

on 1 October 2016
Many people, myself included, were disappointed by GTAIV on its release. There was still the initial thrill of exploring a beautifully crafted city, but that soon wore off. If I had to choose one word to describe GTAIV, it would be dull. Generally dull characters inhabited a dull world, which was scattered with dull sidequests and predominantly dull missions.

I admit that I bought GTAV in no small part because of the hype. It was difficult not to get caught up in it, and I had very high hopes for a new Rockstar world. Many games struggle under the weight of such unrelenting hype, but I'm pleased to report that in my opinion GTAV is one of a very rare breed of games that actually lives up to the expectations that have been set by the gaming world.

Simply put, the world of Los Santos is stunning to explore; it is brimming with life and colour and it feels a privilege to inhabit it. In terms of scale, it took me over 10 minutes just to traverse from one end of the map to the other (land only), and that was using a very welcome fast-moving motorway that runs all around the outside of the island, weaving between traffic on a very nice superbike. The detail of the game world is also fantastic, with every corner of the map populated by little details, such as a colourful little hot dog stand nestled behind a farmyard barn right on the outskirts of civilisation. Taking all this into account, it would be ludicrous to criticise the graphics as not being as polished as very linear, closed-world games, but when the orange sun is setting behind you as you trek up a mountain side and look out at the sea crashing against the rocks, I challenge anybody to quibble about the graphics then!

In general, GTAV is a refinement of previous entries in the series and Rockstar's other open-world series, such as Red Dead. The character and car mechanics, the missions and the game world are all cases in point of this. Your character (there are now three main protagonists) handle well and the shooting mechanics have improved over previous series entries, but in my opinion it still doesn't feel as polished as some dedicated third-person shooter games, such as the underrated Binary Domain. The cars have real weight to them and are a pleasure to drive, and the sheer number of them is staggering. Unusually for open-world games (where exploration and carnage is king for me), I'm really enjoying working my way through the missions. There is so much more variety than the majority of GTAIV missions, and some in-mission twists that genuinely take me by surprise. You now get rated on each mission based on whether or not you met a set of criteria, some more difficult and outlandish than others, which has got me re-playing some missions just to get the higher rating. It's a simple but clever idea that brings added replayability, as they're available to retry as soon as you've completed them. If you don't fancy missions right away, however, why not just cruise around the city area, which is now less than 1/4 of the map size (don't worry - there's plenty to do in the rest though), and look for random events that you can participate in. Do you join two gangsters in holding up a woman outside a supermarket, or help her out? Or do you risk incurring the wrath of the police by trying to rob a security van? Do you return a civilian's bag to them after you've chased down their mugger, or keep the money for yourself? The choices are yours to make.

I could go on forever about the brilliant attention-to-detail that GTAV boasts, and the moments that never fail to make me grin like a kid who's just won a Mario Kart race. Instead, please feel free to ask any burning questions in the comments section and I'll answer if I can and I'm not too busy playing the game!

I'll leave you with two little silly morsels of information if you're still on the fence. Some cars now have three headlight settings: off, normal and raised. Brilliant eh? And when you've completed a taxi fare, keep an eye on the punter to make sure he pays you!

I cannot recommend this game highly enough if you're even remotely interested in the open-world genre, because in my opinion this game is at the pinnacle.
on 30 March 2016
Great game, I love its storyline and I've been a GTA fan for many a year (as a 40 year old woman you would've thought Id grow out of videogames, but I couldn't resist, as soon as I purchased a PS3 for my son this was the first game on my shopping list. It's an 18 for a reason, so those who are easily offended I suggest you look at another beige title !). I love nothing more than jumping in a car, listening to the radio (great soundtrack yet again) and going out causing random acts of craziness just for a laugh lol !
on 7 April 2016
Here is a short list of my thoughts on this product:
-Worth the price
-Hours and hours of non stop fun (endless due to it being an open world game)
-Comes with great content such as free DLC
-Always updating/adding new and free items to the game
-Great co op
-Amazing single player mode
I could go on and on and on but I would be here too long, my advice is for you to visit youtube and watch some gameplays of other people playing this game and if you like it then don't hesitate because this game is just epic.
on 27 January 2015
Having watched a walkthrough on Youtube , I bought this for my ps3 console because I really wanted to play it! . Unfortunately it wouldn't install so I sent it back and got one for my xbox 360 instead. this is the first GTA game I have played (I know - where have I been????) so I cannot comment on what I thought of the others and what this game brings to the table different etc but what I will do is review this GTA. The game centers around three playable characters, Trevor Michael and Franklin. At first I thought that I wouldn't like playing Trevor but you really grow to like him and hes quite comical! Its good that you can play three different characters because it keeps things fresh and interesting. I have only had the game for a few days but I love it. The game is huge - At the moment Im doing some side missions in among the main story and just generally exploring. (a few times my console has crashed - normally when I go to Michael's safe house which is strange) I googled it and apparently its quite common for older xbox's to do this so watch out for that and save often!

The game is huge and you can basically go anywhere. I think flying in a plane is quite difficult and crashed into the ground quite a few times but Ill get the hang of it - I think!

Im a big fan of Rock star - and my all time favorite is Red dead redemption! ive played that game so many times. GTA 5 will be a close second though ! Im enjoying the game immensely!
on 17 April 2014
GTA is undoubtedly the king of open world games owing to the atmosphere and excellent gameplay they offer. However, I can't really say that this is Rockstar's best effort (that goes to Red Dead without a doubt) especially since it is so forgettable! A great location with pretty much nothing of substance to do. The mind boggles as to why Rockstar decided to not include clubs in one of the world's most vibrant locales. Additional qualms include an absurdly low (even non-existent) amount of interiors to enter. Have heard lots of arguments that they're not necessary, but without solid activities and interiors to enter, the gorgeous world becomes very lifeless and dull. Saving graces include probably the best graphics on a PS3 system, a decent radio selection, and attention to detail. Goes to show that even great developers have their off-days. In the case of Rockstar, this is the product; an admittedly gorgeous game that is just too darn lackluster to sustain interest despite the massive potential offered by the world.
on 12 September 2017
Great play! A must have.
Addictive and very well done.
In the end, after spending hours with them, you will like all the 3 characters...even the fourth one: your on-line avatar.
Cause this game is great on single mode, long missions, great music on the radio, amazing game play and scenery, but it's amazing even online, where you can interact with players all around the world and create a crew of friends to enjoy it even more.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2013
A true masterpiece of a game. Takes itself less seriously than GTA IV but still feels like it's moving along the same evolutionary path as its predecessor.

The world is just fantastic. Los Santos and Blaine county feel like living breathing places that exist for their own purpose and not just to be the backdrop for your characters' antics. I can lose myself for hours just exploring the world and seeing what non-playable characters are getting up to.

The 3 character aspect works well and the use of a Google map style zoom in and out as you change between them works really well to hide the loading times.

I felt the missions were much more interesting than previous GTA games. The game gives you some big and interesting missions quite early on and keeps a decent pace going throughout. It always seemed like a bit of a grind to work through the early "go here, escort him, fetch this" type of early missions in previous GTAs.

One final point - Trevor is brilliant. One of my favourite GTA characters. It's just so much fun to drop in on him and see what bizarre situation he has found himself in. He's sa very unhinged character and this works very well.
on 6 August 2015
The boaty driving from GTA 4 is gone and I couldn't be happier. The graphics have gotten worked over and there's way more to do now that the world is so big (how they fit all of San Andreas on ps3 without loading times is beyond me) Add in the fact that there are 3 different characters to choose from and BOOM, you have the greatest open world game yet. 1000s of hours of gameplay. Want to steal a submarine? Do it. Want to run over a cat? Do it. Want to parachute out of a plane? Do it. Want to blow up a tractor in a strip club parking lot by pouring a can of fuel on it because you had a bad day? Do it. Where does GTA go from here though? This game is nearly TOO good.
on 11 November 2013
This is a Gta game that I hoped for, I must say its fantastic, storyline is fantastic as you can play as three characters with their own abilities which is amazing. The multiplayer is a big reason to buy this game, you can make a crew (you can be in 3) and like the movies you do heists where you get shares for your part of the heist which is great fun. The atmosphere in the game is amazing, unlike gta 4 you can explore more than just a city, there's the wild, vinewood (Hollywood) and not to forget the ghetto. There is a lot to do this year in Gta 5 than just the main story, you can get into random characters and meet some characters that were in Gta 5 which is good. Like read dead redemption you also get random stranger missions that are separate from the main storyline, surely if you want to explore the game and not just play the storyline you can which is fantastic. But I must say most of the fun in the game is playing online with your friends in a crew. Overall I give this game a full 5 OUT OF 5!! This game is a must get for all GTA fans, as it wont disappoint!
on 3 December 2014
Pros:-

Great come back from the awkward controls of IV, feels much more playable.

Gunfights are smooth with almost Gears of War fluidity to taking cover, voice acting is first class, highly recommend to play with with headphones and without subtitles for the movie-like experience.

Online multiplayer is good fun, especially with friends.

Cons:-

The LOOOONG loading times are almost Resident Evil 1 frustrating, there is only so much patience one can spend looking at the loading screen pictures.

Once you max out all the skills (which actually doesn't take that long), there is little incentive to keep grinding away. Even the new missions unlocked at higher levels feel repetitive.