Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

New Beginnings
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.44

on 24 July 2012
I was asked to review this book. Because it is based in Jamaica, and I am from the UK and books about Jamaica are not high on my priority list to read, I decided to give it a try, and I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It is a typical rich girl, poor girl tale. Two girls sharing the same father, but not aware of each other until after his death. His will stipulating that Geneva, the poor girl from the Ghetto must move in with rich girl Melody and her awful mother, Pamela for a year, so that she can receive her inheritance. It is a fairly predictable tale with the mother hating Geneva, and Geneva losing the love of her life. I won't give any more away. There are smatterings of Patois, but not too much that it detracts from the overall story. It is a light-hearted, entertaining book, ideal for a holiday read. It is very well written.
on 14 August 2012
I was shocked how much I liked this book, I knew from the blurb I would like it but was shocked how much.

Geneva was such a brilliant character, I loved how strong and outspoken she was and how she stood up to Pamela .
I loved how her Ghetto way of talking stuck out so much and really enjoyed how shocked people were when she spoke and I loved how she had a few tricks up her sleeve to shock the uptowner's most of all Pamela. I wanted to high five her on more than one occasion. I was pleased that although we saw some of Geneva' teachings it was the focus of the story and we instead saw her struggles as she learnt to try and live without her ghetto don and getting to know her sister.

Melody was a lovely girl and a great sister the complete opposite of her mother, if I had a sister I would want to be just like her.

Froggie came as a shock to me. Being the ghetto don I wasn't expecting to like him much but at his heart he was a sensitive guy who loved Geneva enough to let her go and pushed her to move on without him even though it tore him apart to do so. when it came to Geneva he was completely selfless.

Overall I really enjoyed this story once I picked it up I couldn't put it down I finished it within two days. I also think it is a story that will change peoples prejudiced perspective on the ghetto lifestyle, I am not sure if that was the authors aim or not.
on 19 November 2013
As usual, Brenda Barrett never fails in her amazing literacy skills. She brings a warmth and true depth ness to her books making them seem real and propelling you into the book. Amazing, bar none. One of my favourite authors. I have read every single one of her books and not one had failed to be anything other than wonderful.
on 22 January 2015
Wonderful book I was hooked just could not put it down until I came to the end, and the fact that I recognise all the places mentioned in the book made it more in entreated, I would love to know if there was or is a restaurant called the new beginning. I would definitely recommend this book. Love it
on 6 January 2013
I enjoyed reading this book as it keeps you wondering what is going to happen next. The first few pages gripped my attention, I would recommend this book to all my friends and family.

Brenda Barrett has some great books.
on 6 June 2014
I have read many of this writers books and I can tell you whenever you do read any of her books you would think you are one of the character in the book you are reading. Go BB!!!
on 24 December 2013
Good read easy to follow. There were three sections of lifestyle the story skims over - gang land, rich and privilege, and church however non of them in any great detail.
on 13 November 2012
Brilliant book. Included many laughs, some action and many heart warming scenes. Really enjoyed this novel and loved the characters!! Excellent ;-)
on 28 December 2012
Brillent read once again with Brenda the ending was very poor and ended and that was it, but still a great read would reccomment to friends.
on 1 October 2015
In life one have to learn to forgive.