Customer reviews

on 1 December 2014
A clever device which I mostly got to replace an old tuner and instead connect to internet radio, this it does very well with most stations matching the FM quality I got before. It also plays FLAC files which is my compression of choice (used on my portable music player) and takes the digital output from my Cambridge CD player. The audio quality is excellent. It gets only 4 stars because of the following shortcomings.The remote has lots of small black buttons on a black handset with small dark grey labels. The "return" and "OK" keys are used most and should be easier to find in low light conditions. The LCD screen on the box is too small to see from more than a couple of meters and, as it shows lots of essential information about what is playing and choices to change that, it is not useful. There is a faculity to use a Panasonic app on your smart phone which then shows the screen and allows you to use the phone as a controller. I have an Android phone and it works fine, I assume an Apple phone would also be OK but there is no app yet for Microsoft phones and if you haven't a smart phone you're stuck. Lastly it is possible to buy a Panasonic wifi connector to save on using an Ethernet cable to your router, this is expensive but although there is a USB connectoer to power this device it also has to be plugged into the Ethernet socket so you cannot use a (much cheaper) alternative.
on 23 February 2014
This arrived within 2 days of the order being placed, and I set it up using a netgear wnce 2001. Plugged it in turned it all one and it found my network storage straight away. I have got it set up temp on a Sony all in one system , not have chance to set it up on my main system yet, but the sound is really good with clear treble and base separation.
I have also downloaded the android app for my Nexus 7 and it works great for me, the only thing missing is it does not show any album art, but it makes choosing tracks and albums easy. All in all it lives up to the reviews.
on 6 July 2015
Very good
on 14 September 2013
Software could be better though. Doesn't always recognise my NAS, but when it does it sounds superb and that's all that matters.
One person found this helpful
on 20 January 2013
Hooked up & set up relatively easy. I'm using the built in DAC via the Analogue outputs. Put a high quality interconnect in the equation & you've cracked it.
Sounds very good indeed, I have no complaints.
I am feeding via network WAV files & via USB Flac files all sounding good.
Internet radio is immense.

To sum up - Buy with confidence
12 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2013
Excellent 'streamer' at a very good price. Great on internet radio, USB playback etc. Could be upgraded with external DAC but with all the sound settings I've not felt this would be needed. Screen is small but useful and easy to navigate.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 August 2014
This has to be the most important audio equipment I have bought for a long time. As someone who values the quality of reproduced sound I was skeptical of internet radio and even more sceptical of music streaming. This player has changed my views about both.

The biggest surprise is the quality of sound from internet radio. At 128kbps the sound quality from some of the jazz stations are so clean and so big I still pinch myself sometimes when l listen.

I have used the optical digital OUT from the player to feed the sound to the DAC in my Marantz KI Pearl SACD (in DAC mode) and then to the CD Input of my KI Pearl amp. The sound is just great. But even if you just play directly from the Pioneer N50, you would find the sound deeply satisfying.

Streaming music through my home network is equally superb. Of course it will depend on the compression quality or format in which your music is stored.

One thing I found; this player may sound better from the CD input of the amp than the Tuner or other inputs.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 4 September 2014
After installing the software updates via a USB memory stick the streamer and its app worked perfectly. If you are planing on adding an external hard drive which can be attached via the front USB port. The streamer will only recognize the music files if the file format is in FAT32. format. Overall the sound is punchy with excellent clarity between low and high frequencies sources. The build quality is excellent with even the remote control which usually ends up as the poor relation when it comes to separates being solidly built.

The only negative is wireless isn't built in, so you will have to by a separate USB wireless adapter if you want to use this streamer. For some odd reason most streamer manufactures don't provide built in wireless. Note: any USB wireless adapter works with this unit so there is no need to buy pioneers suspiciously over priced wireless adapter.
on 7 September 2015
I use it with Marantz PM6005 stereo amplifier. With pure audio and other sound modes disabled, it sounds best; CD ripped WAV files do not sound as good as CD played with Marantz CD6005 CD player (so one star lost). With digital library, it is very convenient to play songs. Also internet radio is a huge plus. The display is tiny, but can be managed through android phone.
on 12 March 2016
Listening music is really great with this, sounding natural, detailed and spacy. But to get there ain't easy - due to software incompabilities and poor functionality, despite some firmware updates untill mid 2014 !