on 7 April 2017
great
on 25 May 2015
These books are unique and each one a treasure.
on 24 June 2017
great
on 31 October 2014
Just gets better and better a real must
on 3 April 2017
great book
on 23 August 2011
Joseph Delaney's ability to deliver big scares and chills alognside a gripping storyline and expertly developed characters is unsurpassed, except by J K Rowling.
The third book in the Wardstone Chronicles sees Tom and the Spook Mr Gregory head to their winter house high in the fells where the dark brings all manner of scary beasts out of the shadows and being the local Spook Mr Gregory does his duty by protecting the inhabitants of the County from the darkness. In this third book we learn more about the Spook himself and his character begins to unfold more than it has in the previous two installments with the introduction of the women he loves, Meg, who happens to be a Lamia witch. But there is other trouble afoot as a rogue Spook is set on releasing an evil God upon the County. This installment is scarier and more disturbing than the previous two and could be too scary for readers under ten.
Delaney draws the reader in from the first page and the action, excitment and thrills don't let up until the very last page, these books are fast becoming my favourite series ever written, behind Harry Potter at the moment. If you enjoy scary and exciting books that are impossible to put down then The Wardstone Chronicles are definitely perfect for you.
on 10 December 2011
It's a thrilling book that is impossible to put down when you start reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone aged 8+.
on 10 July 2013
This is the third book in the Wardstone Chronicles and was the make it or break it point for me. I figured that after three books I'd have a pretty good idea of whether this series was going to be worth it. The Spook's Secret convinced me, I will be reading them all.

In this book Tom and Master Gregory travel to The Spook's winter house. Not only are they isolated but instead all the things the Spook has bound are in the cellar not outside.

One of the witches is Meg, a lamia witch that Tom found out about in The Spook's Curse. Unlike the others Meg hibernates in a cell until The Spook wakes her and brings her upstairs. There she subdued with a herbal tea that makes her forget who she is, something Alice (rightfully I think) has major issues with.

I think The Spook's Secret makes for interesting reading for the characters, particularly the Spook. Meg alone is one big ethical dilemma but there is plenty more to go at. While the story and adventure remain at the forefront I enjoyed this book more for battle between Alice and The Spook on what is right.
on 20 March 2013
I found this book interesting and action packed. You may expect the book to mainly consist of the spooks dark past beginning to unveil, but it comes back to haunt him and also the spooks young apprentice Tom Ward. We meet Meg, the person which captured the spooks heart and start to find out more about her and her sister who is hidden in the cellar. Alice is back, and her and Tom seem to be getting closer than ever. Along with this, disastrous consequences at home cause Tom to be terrorized by the spooks ex-apprentice Morgan. With action, adventure, romance, horror and suspense what isn't to like?!? This was my favourite spooks book so far and I can't wait to read the next book... the spooks battle!!!
I bought this book for my 7 year old son.
We try hard to keep our sons interest in reading which isn't always easy with the lure of the P.C and T.V and gameboys and so many other distractions but this book managed it.
He would pick it up at every available opportunity, chose to read this over going on the P.C and simply couldn't put it down, not once did we have to ask him to do his nightly reading.
He would highly recommend it.
We would highly recommend it - as we were given 4 days off nagging!