on 4 January 2017
I have only recently "discovered" the work of Janey Godley and therefore just recently came across Handstands in the Dark. It is a searingly honest memoir covering the author's bleak childhood through to her tough adulthood. She was raped as a minor by an evil uncle, who in adulthood, she brought to justice. And although it can be described as a misery memoir, that would be too simple a description. There is dark humour in this tale of a dysfunctional life in the author's (and my) former neighbourhood. In Glasgow's east end. The book is as honest as it is well written. I hope she writes more. Ms Godley is now a famous comedian as well as a writer. She is a fine writer and a clever, whip-smart comic. However, after reading Handstands I am surprised that she not only laughed again, but also developed a rare talent to make us laugh again...and again ...and again too. Read this book. You'll thank me for telling you to. I'm off now to do my own writing ...in between finding out more of the work of this great Scottish comic and writer....PS her daughter, Ashley Storrie is a rapid-rising comedic talent too.
on 21 February 2016
I recommend this book strongly. It tells a true life story which is very moving, harrowing at times, and always gripping. I am more used recently to the thriller genre of fiction, but found this book equally unputdownable. Well done Janey for telling it. As far as I am aware you have not written another book - but I would go for it if you ever do.
Quite seriously I think that this book should be compulsory reading for social workers and police officers everywhere, and probably a whole lot of others too - especially for those who come into contact with other human beings in their day-to-day lives!
on 15 July 2016
Sad, tragic, emotional and inspirational, Janey Godley bears her soul. I hope the process was cathartic for her and I'm so glad she's stuck the fingers up at all the bastards who made her life so difficult. You're an inspiration Janey and more power to you!
on 16 March 2017
Possibly the most harrowing, but brutally honest biography I've read.
I've gone on to listen to Janey's comedy, and the weekly podcast the she and her daughter Ashley produce. Yes, the story of Janey's early life is horrific - but read the book and then, if you don't know her comedy already seek it out - she is an incredible woman!
on 27 July 2016
Heart-wrenchingly honest and engrossing.
on 25 April 2017
Amazingly written, brought back many memories of being brought up next the east end, warming and so candid. A must read
on 10 March 2016
Brilliantly written it takes you into Glasgow in the late 70s and 80s
on 21 May 2012
Wonderful read; I actually couldn't put it down. Having seen Janey's brilliant comedy act I was curious to read about her background so purchased this not really knowing what to expect. She gives a frank and intimate account of her experience of growing up in Glasgow and yes, at times it was hard to read but, being from this neck of the woods myself I found it especially interesting and true to life. The negative reviews on here accusing her of 'fantasizing' I find incredulous. This only serves to demonstrate the reasons why so many find it hard to come out about publically about abuse. Not being believed is something that stops children and young adults telling someone - I applaud anyone that can share difficult experiences like this. Entertaining, inciteful and poignant. I loved it
on 6 January 2015
I couldn't out this book down. Initially because I grew up a few miles away but the story of survival from such a young age is quite inspiring. It has definitely made me sit back and think about what is actually truly important. Thanks Janey
on 5 February 2016
An honest engaging story made more powerful by its truth. Heart breaking but couldn't put it down. I laughed, I cried, I felt myself there in her world. Janey is a gifted comedian but this shows her amazing ability to view her own memories as a way to pull the heart strings and hopefully help others in similar situations.