on 14 December 2011
First of all, prompt delivery from amazon. Took only two days although it said up to 5 working days with free super saver delivery. =D Happy days.

Before buying the monitor, I was looking for some reviews but could not find a decent one in English so I thought this review might be useful for someone who is also interested in buying this monitor. Display and stand comes separate like most of the monitors do but it is so easy to set up unlike some of the Samsung's and other counterparts. It came with 1 x VGA and 1 x DVI cables. It only took 5 mins from upacking till it was up and running. Windows 7 automatically detected the monitor and set the resolution to 1080p. No dead pixels and screen looks very good. There are a few buttons underneath and if you press one of them, a pop up menu will come up and there are indications of which button does which. You can mess around with the setting and set it as you prefer but for me I did not change anything as it looked and felt good as it is for me in terms of colour, brightness, etc.

The monitor is of good built quality although the stand could be a bit more solid so that the screen doesn't wobble too much when trying to type something or a review like this. It could be because of my desk being placed on a carpet floor but it does have VESA 100 x 100 mm screw holes which means that you can easily fit it onto a wall mount or a desk mount. It has VGA, DVI, HDMI connectors, and 3.5 mm audio socket for any audio signal that might be coming through the HDMI link.

Not a bad price at all for an IPS monitor. There are better IPS monitors out there but they are in a different price category so all in all I am very happy with the purchase and it is defintely a good monitor to be considered if you are looking for one under £110. =D
1313 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2012
I needed a new monitor for my Hackintosh workstation, and this one fit the bill quite nicely as an IPS display.

I have to say the colours do look great, from mostly any viewing angle too, same as my Macbook Pro.

My only problem with it is that there are two spots where there's quite severe backlight bleeding - on the top left corner there's two spots (on the top edge and left edge) where, when the screen is dark, you can see two patches of white light. It's very noticeable, but I'm not sure if Amazon will accept it for a replacement, and unless they offer to pick it up for me, I can't be bothered to also pay to have it shipped off.

The stand was also strange, its default position has the monitor tilted back, and I couldn't work out how to tilt it forward, I was gingerly pushing it and hearing something creak, it was only until I got a bit fed up and actually pushed it with some gusto that it reluctantly tilted forwards properly.

Other than that, it's great. I haven't tried any serious gaming on it so can't comment on response times, but the monitor LOOKS fantastic, performs well enough, and the OSD is the best I've ever seen too. No more fumbling around for the right buttons, thank God!

Another thing, the power button stays illuminated for over a minute, even when the mains plug is turned off.. It's weird.

Oh yeah, and the screen is quite wobbly on the stand. Watch out for that. It would look gorgeous wall mounted though.
on 6 February 2012
Firstly I have never written a review but I feel compelled to at this bargain!

To keep it simple I bought this for gaming and the fact it was an IPS panel. The quality of the colours and 5ms response time is perfect for gaming. I come from a 19" VX922 Viewsonic with a resolution of 1280x1024 so this was a major step up as my old monitor is around 6 years old. I have not noticed any ghosting or blurriness from the 3ms difference in response times (my Vx922 was 2ms)

My only tiny 'gripe' is the stand feels a little cheap/weak and cannot be adjusted (I don't think) but with an IPS it doesn't matter where you view the screen from, it always looks perfect.

But at £99 this is an absolute steal, when you are looking at spending way over £150 for an equivalent IPS panel.

I also haven't noticed any of the backlight bleeding whilst gaming, which has been mentioned. Maybe I'm wrong, but even still any problems people mention must be very minute as I consider myself quite a serious gamer and it seems fine to me!
on 23 December 2011
I was after a budget monitor for photography/design and this seemed to fit the bill being an ips panel (good viewing angles).
I payed £109.99 and I now see the price has dropped to £99.99 - for this price you can't go wrong.
I will calibrate the monitor soon but colours seem pretty accurate out of the box.
It has hdmi, Vga and dvi connections and a simple easy to use menu system.
The only bad thing is the stand which is wobbly but I can live with that as the picture quality is good (you can wall mount it).
Overall a good buy and I would recommend this product.
on 17 April 2012
This monitor is superb. It is a great product at a very affordable price.

The range and quality of the picture is second to non, from snow white to deep rich blacks. It is so good i had to query the price. Fantastic product no question.
on 7 January 2012
Please don't let the poor quality stand put you off. Quality of the screen is the best I've seen. At the price of £119 it's worth paying extra for a wall mount. Connectivity very good too with hdmi, VGA and dvi. I've connected my mac and pc and switch between them using the input button. Don't waste more money on a supposedly better screen elsewhere. I doubt you will tell the difference. 22" widescreen more than adequate for most people. Rated four star purely cause of poor mount ( otherwise easily a five star product)but LG do
Provide all three connectivity cables and delivery arrived super fast.
In summary you will not find a better monitor unless you spend substantially more money( remember this is an IPS screen which is the best for viewing angle)
on 27 April 2012
I ordered this as my first external monitor ever as I used to work on my laptops since I use computers. At some point the 11" screen of my Mac started ruining my vision and I started looking for an external monitor. First I did not consider LG at all and was rather looking at Samsung monitors of the same class but double the price. The LG IPS225V came under my radar because of the huge number of positive reviews and happy about this guidance I quickly decided to give it a go as I am quite clueless in monitor business (as I never had an external one before).

Shortly: It is brilliant. Literally and figuratively.

DELIVERY
I ordered it yesterday with Amazon Prime (plus two other items - a stand for my macbook and an HDMI-cable) and everything had arrived by noon today.

SET-UP
The installation was more than easy, I did not have to install or calibrate anything, I screwed the stand onto the monitor, plugged it in and voilà - I think all in all the set up was not even 10 minutes.

IMAGE
I chose the HDMI connection as I read it gives the best picture quality, so I had to purchase an extra HDMI-cable (GBP 5,-) as this was not included, however both cables for the two other connections (DVI-D and D-SUB) are included, but might also require an adapter for your laptop/computer that you have to buy extra.
The colors are brilliant as far as I can judge (as I said, I have no experience with external monitors, but I certainly know what looks good and what not). Very crisp, very clear, not overdone. Also you can adjust the colors according to your needs with the buttons on the monitor.

RESPONSIVENESS
I already used it in Photoshop and for that kind of work (with multiple layers etc) it does a fantastic job and reacts immediately. I don't play games except for Minecraft, so I cannot really tell about the monitors performance in graphic-heavy shooters, but Minecraft run absolutely smooth.

*********
CONCLUSION
I was a little scared when ordering it as I normally don't buy stuff I don't know much about especially when it costs more than GBP 100,- but this monitor I would definitely buy again. Great quality that needs little set-up and offers you a lot of customization by tilting its height, adjusting color levels, contrast, sharpness, black level etc etc. It offers Dual-Mode and many more features that I most likely won't ever need but that could be vital for you. What I did was to download the Owner's manual PDF from the LG-website before buying and reading through it, making sure this is what I want. [...]
on 25 February 2012
I own two 27" iMac's which have IPS displays built in and I have bought the IPS225 for my Windows 7 PC . Originally I built the PC to integrate with the Macs on my Gigabit LAN as an upgrade path for file storage and because I wanted an HDMI output and Bluray support. I therefore had my old 19" square LCD hooked up as the main monitor for the PC . When I saw this display though I knew the time was right to upgrade and I was not disappointed.

For some applications I prefer to use the native HD resolution display of the IPS225 compared to the gigantic 2560x1440 available from the iMac.
For example on the iMac HD video shown at 100% appears as a window in the screen, it has to be re-scaled to fill the whole screen ! The pixel size must be that much larger on the IPS 225 that images and video do seem a little more vibrant and natural.

It's also nice to have a native resolution 1920*1080 HD display available, since that's what most web pages and applications seem to expect these days... a little easier on the eyes at times ! It's still big enough to have two browser windows side by side but not so massive that you have to zoom in to enlarge text. The other great thing is the HDMI input which allows the connection of a Camcorder or PS3 etc, a very hand little feature .

I would say the colours are as good or better than the iMac. The obvious difference is that the IPS225 does not have a glossy screen, which can help on sunny days since my home office has a Window ! In general I would say there is not much difference between the quality of the IPS225 and the iMac displays. The iMac displays have been compared in reviews to the Dell 2560*1440 monitor which costs almost as much as the iMac is worth ! I am sure people will nit pick and find faults however I myself can find none with this monitor from LG. There is no significant back light visible with the screen blanked in windows, no dead or stuck pixels and as I said above the viewing angle and colours are as good or better that the iMac 27" display.

So in summary at £99 this is a great monitor ! You get 3 way inputs, a great IPS display, it looks great on your desk and the LED backlight provides great colours and means the monitor uses next to no energy . Well pleased
on 13 February 2012
This arrived this morning and I've been playing with it all day. It has taken me a while to come to any sort of conclusion about it. It's not the monitor it's bigged up to be. It's fine in some respects, but not in others. The viewing angle certainly isn't as good as I expected. Stand up and move about and suddenly, off-axis, all blacks take on a disconcertng purple glow to them. It's down to that backlight bleed. No amount of fiddling with the settings makes it any better without making all other aspects of the image much worse.

However, when a movie is in full flow, it's hard to notice the backlight bleed. Colours are faithful and the monitor comes into its own. It also needs to be remembered that this is £99 (it was last week, anyway). My 18.5" TN LG W1946 (less than a year old) offers a truly horrible image by comparison and it was only £15 or so cheaper.

Just be aware of this monitor's limitations. If you disregard the hype, you'll be happy enough.

By the way, HDMI sound output is available through the headphone out. It's staggeringly good when used as a two-channel line out, given the right source. I expected the monitor to offer mediocre sound from HDMI, but it doesn't. That's a major bonus.
on 9 January 2012
I totally recommend this monitor to anyone who's on a budget and can't afford a better monitor,the monitor comes with a dvi and a vga cable,mounting was easy enough, dont hesitate buying it it's worth it