Customer reviews

on 17 January 2014
Read these after mention made to FB in classic novels. Enjoyed immensely and fact influenced other authors added to piquancy.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 October 2014
Love it.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 January 2016
ordered for reference only
One person found this helpful
on 13 April 2013
I have just downloaded the Kindle edition of this. At less than one pound it MUST be good value (4 full length novels!!) but I am glad I didn't buy a hardcopy book.

Fanny Burney is one of the acclaimed pioneers of the genre "novel" - all praise to her for that. But. I have just finished "Evelena" which is her first and is considered her best. Oh dear, perhaps I will like the others better... But I found most of her characters tiresome. I suppose the horseplay and pranks and sheer vulgarity of several minor characters were meant to be humorous. Sorry, I do not find this kind of humiliation amusing. As a text to mine for social mores, the novel has its uses. The sentimental posturing of Evelena and Lord Orville I can just tolerate, but Captain Mirvin and his practical jokes - no. But I suppose it expands my appreciation of the 18th C.
6 people found this helpful