on 2 March 2016
I bought this for a 5 year old granddaughter who is quite an advanced reader. She has read, and thoroughly enjoyed, most of Roald Dahl's books, so thought as I'm a granny who definitely does not knit shreddies, we'd try a different author and chose this for two reasons: firstly the granny connection and secondly I had read glowing reports of Walliams.
She was able to read the book independently; a few words needed explaining but I do think that it's good to extend a child's vocabulary. It has been a great success. My daughter sits with her to read every night, and she was so impressed with it that I was banned from reading it when I babysat, because she didn't want to miss any part of it. Both of them said they frequently laughed out loud.
I'm in two minds about the ending, however. I think my daughter was more affected by the ending than my granddaughter. Perhaps this was because we had recently experienced the sudden death of my husband. I was told, very matter-of-factly, 'Gangsta granny died. Of cancer. My granddad's dead as well' This totally threw me, but on reflection, it did lead to us discussing some lovely memories. Trying to explain to a 5 year old that her granddad is dead isn't easy and I think this book, as well as being funny, helped to open up conversations.
She has begged for more Walliams' books and I have noted that in some reviews of other works, age inappropriate language/subject matter has been mentioned. By far the overall reviews are extremely positive, however. He has usurped Dahl as her favourite writer. I'm definitely buying her more, but have decided to make a note of any that have the occasional negative comment not to avoid them, but to make sure that my daughter/I am prepared for any discussion.
on 17 December 2015
This and two other David Walliams books will make a nine-year-old boy very happy, and hopefully give him - and his parents - a break from the Wii and the xBox!! I love the fact that David's books appeal to modern kids without being patronising. And plenty of humour too!
on 1 June 2017
Son found this a little slower to start than billionaire boy & boy in dress. But he's into it now and enjoying it
on 26 April 2017
Not quite Dahl, but my 6 year old is enjoying :)
on 13 July 2017
Really good book. More suitable for older children as the humour can go over their heads. Other than that it was an engaging story.
on 8 April 2017
As always good, book for grandson
on 4 June 2017
sad ending x
on 4 April 2017
My boys love this book!
on 17 June 2017
Another great book by David Walliams, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything not to like about any of his books.
on 24 June 2016
Purchased for my little bookworms. They love reading and love holding a book rather than a tablet/kindle etc. The story is brilliant and my kids really enjoyed reading this.

See one answered question