Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 28 November 2011
To a quinquagenarian, in age (for me) of musical famine, this album contains complete sonic beauty. This is surprising to me since I'm not an album person and individual tracks fall or stand on their own. The vocals, arrangements and orchestrations have been worked intelligently and sublimely to produce a wonderment.

Hallelujah!
on 7 December 2011
in my humble opinion, (for what that`s worth) this is one of the must have albums of the year. granted, it may only be played during the festive season, but it`ll soon become your soundtrack to the festive season.
haunting, astmospheric, beautiful, and refreshingly different to the usual reguritated christmas fodder that gets churned out every year. funny looking angels is forever going to be associated with the smell of a real christmas tree, an open fire, a generous whisky mac and good company. love it.
on 2 December 2011
Having read the description of this album before it was due out I knew I had to have it. It arrived last weekend & I've listened to it lots since then.

I wouldn't call it the usual type of Christmas CD full of jingle bells & tales of Santa Claus but it will definitely get you in the mood for Christmas.

The album comprises some Christmas songs & other non-Christmas-y songs but the mood is very much of cold Winter days & spicy mulled wine - I was most disppointed that it wasn't actually snowing when I looked outside & it feels like a hug in a big woolly jumper.

Tom Smith's voice is very deep & works well with the more sombre songs on the album. Andy Burrows' voice is totally different & to me, sounds a little Beatle-esque on some songs. They work beautifully together.

Buy it - you won't be disppointed!
on 6 December 2011
I heard some of the tracks in session on the radio on the way home after the 'last long trip' of the year so maybe I was in a good mood! I was impressed with the sound and the idea enough to buy the CD and on another listen to the tracks I'd already heard and a first listen to the others I am very happy with this.

As one other reviewer mentions, this is a different kind of seasonal CD which has the 'feel' of the season rather than being an outright Christmas CD. There are tracks on it which will be played at other times of the year as well. Lyrically and sonically very good indeed. What's more (or maybe less), at just 35 minutes long, the 10 track set does not outstay its' welcome.

For me, Christmas this year started with the arrival of this CD.
on 9 December 2011
Bought this based on the reviews and it exceeded them all - the original songs are great, melodic, sometimes moving but fun too. The covers , particularly 'Only You' are fantastic. Always liked The Editors - must look again at We Are Scientists now.
on 3 December 2011
A few years ago I might have been the sort of person who'd buy an album by Razorlight or Editors - although I never did - but my days of being an avid music buyer are gone. So it says a lot about Funny Looking Angels that I bought the album on the strength of hearing 'When the Thames Froze' on the radio and seeing 'In the Bleak Midwinter' opening the tracklist.

The only similarity between Smith & Burrow's record and those of their respective bands is Tom Smith's haunting voice that dominates maybe half of the tracks, with even these ranging in style. The others feature a mix of Burrow's contrasting vocals, with some festive harmonies in other places. I won't even try to box these tracks into one genre, nor describe the ways in which this isn't your typical Christmas album. It's melancholy in places, upbeat in others, with more than a few lyrics to raise a smile or warm the heart ("like your favourite film / it's a wonderful life / you've seen it a hundred times / but you don't get bored...")

It's a pretty short album at only 34 minutes, but almost every minute is perfect. Two beautiful cover versions of 80s songs sit right in the middle of the album, while the whole recording is sandwiched by two traditional 'Christmas album' tracks.

Only 5 days after release, it's perhaps a bit too soon to say whether I'll still be listening to this come New Year. But at the moment Funny Looking Angels is really getting me in festive spirits, and I see this being an album I return to again and again each year as the long nights and frost draw in. Highly recommended.
on 30 December 2011
Given the grim weather and general lack of cheer around over the last few months i've really struggled to get myself in the mood for all this Christmas lark, if only i'd had this album!

The stand out tracks are the single "When the Thames froze" which manages to warm the cockles of your heart while still getting a few digs in at the current occupants of Number 10. and "This ain't New Jersey" a very English Christmas Song (you have to love the line "this ain't New Jersey, Father Christmas is coming to town") which puts you right there in the pub on a snowy Christmas Eve.

Some of the covers may not add too much to the originals but they're still slick, brilliantly chosen and fit perfectly here, and who doesn't like "Wonderful Life" anyway? Oh and if you can track it down check out Ed Harcourt's version of "In The Bleak Midwinter" for a slightly more manic take on the one on offer here.

Shame the festive season is now drawing to a close as I've only just laid my hands on this gem, but it'll definitely be making a re-appearance on December 1st 2012 to get me in the mood.
on 27 December 2015
Being truthful you could listen to this album even if it wasnt Christmas it's that good. An amazing album from start to finish, it's throws the traditional same same old out of the window and puts a new twist on things. Give this album a chance and you be listening to it year in year out like I do. Proper Walkman album, every track is worth listening to.
on 2 January 2012
Great album. Heard it on the radio and bought it straight away from Amazon! Absolutely fab tracks and just a brill album .
on 27 December 2012
I have bought a number of different albums on the strength of hearing them on Radio 2 and the like.

I heard the tune "As Snowflake Fall" recently on Radio 2 and I thought the harmonies of Smith and Burrows were rather reminiscent of Crosby and Nash. I downloaded this album on Amazon as it was better value for money than buying the physical album especially as you only get 35 minutes or so of music.

The tracks on here are mostly covers but it is an enjoyable listen. I like Andy Burrow's voice anyway but Tom Smith's voice blends quite well with Andy's.

Funny Looking Angels and Wonderful Life are singalong tracks too.

As I mentioned earlier, I would recommend people to download this rather than have the CD for the money.