on 4 February 2012
This laptop is by far the best thing I've ever owned! I understand why people get annoyed because of the price in comparison with other top brand names. A few years ago I was a complete Mac hater! I never wanted anything to do with Apple because i too thought it was a money machine that drained the customers of all their cash to keep up with the latest gadgets. Last year though, i made the plunge! I'm a musician and gamer, and i wanted something that would really benefit me in these areas (more so for the music though). Since buying this machine, I haven't looked back. I can't believe how fast and smooth this laptop is. Apple really have made something that works so well in the users hands. At first it takes a LOT of getting used to, especially coming from Windows, you'll find that sometimes you get frustrated, but surely that will only last for a limited time, because the more you get used to the layout of Mac OS X, the easier it gets (obviously). I love the little details on it too, for instance, you don't have to clog your desktop up with a million and one folders, but it has this nifty little platform at the bottom where you can place all your preferred applications and what not (I understand you can also do this on Windows.) The graphics processor is also fantastic! It has incredible detail and it's also very powerful. They keyboard layout is easy and quick, when it comes to turning volume up, down, fast forwarding etc. It's so great how user friendly this thing is!
What's also great about Mac is if you still have programs or things you use in Windows that can't really be used on Mac (though you could purchase the 'Crossover' application) you can create a Windows partition, which basically means that you can have Windows 7 (as i have) on your mac! I don't use the windows partition so much, but it REALLY comes in handy when you want to do a few bits and bobs with the windows program (i also prefer partition as oppose to running Windows next to OS X in parallel mode, because in parallel, it runs not even at half the speed, it takes up too much ram to run as smoothly as you like). Even some of the Apps on this machine are awesome. GarageBand for instance, is such a simple music creation application. I've been writing and recording music for over 10 years now and used many different programs and packages, but GarageBand is by far the easiest and simplest to use. I've never found myself wanting anything else since using it. Anything I need to do, GarageBand usually provides me with the service (Though i'll probably move to Logic soon to keep up with the youngsters).
All in all, this is a great laptop. You can set up the desktop however you please, you can make things so user friendly it's sick! It's a really beautiful machine and i'm so glad i left my 'Apple Hater' days behind me. If you're considering buying this machine, i'd say go for it.
1010 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2015
I'm very dissapointed, I have only had this one day and it is already freezing and slow, it also heats up after 10 minutes of using it and very difficult to touch as it gets so hot. I realise it is a refurbished product but the top of my mac is hugely dented and everywhere is scratched, even one of the keys has been scratched off so you can see through it. It also said it was going to be a UK keyboard but there is no £ sign on it.
on 6 August 2012
Having been using computers now for the best part of thirty years and probably every conceivable operating system there is, I have to say this is by far and away, the best machine and operating system I have ever used. I have been using Linux for home use for the best part of six to seven years, Linux Mint in particular, as M$ Windows in any disguise just does not cut it in terms of performance or reliability, which is why I switched. I didn't think anything would tempt me away from Linux but when Gnome released their new version it seemed quite buggy and not quite as user friendly and the Mint Team appeared to be having a problem making it work within their system so APPLE seemed like the only option open.

So, as my trusty old Lenovo laptop was dying anyway the time seemed right to migrate and I am so glad I did and went for a MAC. Yes, the machine was expensive but like everything in life, you get what you pay for. This machine is solid, both the hardware and the system. Built from an aluminium block there is nothing that creaks or squeaks on it no matter how you handle it. Everything from the magnetic lid, magnetic power lead, backlit keyboard to glossy screen is just pure craftsmanship. Once you start it up you get the comforting whirr of a motor starting up and the system appears in just a few seconds. Thats when the real fun starts. Yes the system is different, vastly different and anyone coming from Windows is going to find it very strange at first and will find it hard to get used to. But, after a few weeks using it, they will find out that everything is natural and has been designed to be much easier to use than Windows. Users coming from linux may not find it quite as hard as the core system is UNIX based and anyone used to using CLI will feel right at home. As an experienced PC user even I have to say I had my reservations and wondered if I had done the right thing at first but I needn't have worried because after two months of using it, I find it pure joy to work on. The system is so solid, no blue screens, no lags and no bugs. The Apps just work. I also made a point of using all Apple applications, from Safari to Mail, as everything is designed to work seamlessly together and using third party or open source would probably have a detrimental affect on it and would advise anyone to do the same. I have to say I would definitely not now go back to Windows and as much as I loved using Linux I ail probably would not go back to it either. Once you have experienced MAC you will wonder why on earth you wasted so much time and had so many frustrated hours on M$ windows.

All I can say is if you are seriously thinking about buying a MacBook Pro and you have the budget for it, then go for it, you will not regret it. No matter how strange it is at first, stick with it because once you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
on 16 February 2012
I guess there isn't much more you can say about a macbook - it is an excellent machine although if you have moved from a pc it takes a little learning - but so far so great. I use it mainly for photo processing work and I love the fact that I don't get crashes anymore -
on 23 August 2016
I ordered this used MacBook Pro 15 inch early 2011 instead of to buy the latest one because it was fully customisable by myself to replace any components inside it. After a couple of weeks, I updated the storage disk to a SSD and the performance of this laptop are very impressive. I use this computer for development, design and videos and even it was made in 2011, it still powerful and completely operational. Moreover, I was really impressed about the delivery, it looked like new, with a few scratches (nothing really important) and I received it into the genuine Apple container.

I recommend it and please to consider it before to buy the new one
on 21 March 2012
An amazing laptop, had it only 4/5 months now but have had no problems with it at all. Works incredibly well and couldn't ask for a better computer.
I have the 15 inch and have seen friends with the 13 inch, the 13 inch looks a little more portable but I use it most at home anyway and it's by no means not transportable, it's still a very slim laptop.
on 23 December 2013
I purchased this almost 2 years ago for a Christmas present. It has proved to be a very reliable laptop that hasn't refused to start up once.....unlike my 12 month old HP laptop!
The Apple Mac has a great battery life and is stylish and robust.
The only negative I have is the cost of the laptop which is roughly that of 3 Windows laptops but, considering the fact that Windows computers aren't the most reliable machines around (the dreaded 'blue screen' etc.) and that Windows programs can be huge and therefore 'eat the space on your hard disk'.
Overall this is a really great laptop and I might even buy one for myself when my laptop gives up the ghost!!
on 13 May 2015
Where to start, what an awesome machine, seller dispatch details said up to 14 business days, it arrived within 3 days. the machine itself is a powerful bit of kit and i will never go back to windows for personal use. using yosemite it took a little getting use to but now that i am i cannot praise this product enough.
on 5 February 2012
The company that this was purchased from were absolutely fantastic. Phoned me before sending to check address was correct as I had requested my work address. Then rang me to tell me when it left them arrived within 48hrs would use them again and again!!
on 1 March 2016
What an awesome purchase.
higher spec than i was expecting and for the price it would take a lot to find a reason to complain
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse