Customer reviews

After having mixed feelings about Mind Games I was a little nervous about picking up Double Cross but at the same time I was incredibly intrigued by the Disillusionists and I wanted to see how things played out for Justine. I have to admit I came close to DNFing this in the first half, Justine's inner monologue was irritating me by the end of the first book and I was about ready to throw my kindle across the room by the middle of this one. I was just so incredibly frustrated that she hadn't seemed to learn anything from her relationship with Cubby and she was still clinging to Otto because he was what she considered the perfect boyfriend to be. It is so completely obvious to everyone that there is a connection between her and Packard, he's the one she is constantly thinking about, he's the one she sparks off of and he's the one who knows not only what she wants but also what she needs. I get why she finds it hard to trust him, honestly I do, especially after the way he tricked her in the first book, but at the same time I can't help but root for him.

Anyway, I came very close to giving up on this book but I'm so glad that I didn't because the last third of the book was everything I'd hoped it would be and then some. I can't really go into much detail without giving spoilers but I loved seeing Justine finally start to grow up. She starts to realise that everything isn't as black and white as she always thought it was and she actually starts to look at the reasoning behind both Packard and Otto's behaviour. Then you have the twist at the end that absolutely shocked the hell out of me, I never would have seen it coming and I absolutely HAVE to read Head Rush immediately to find out what the hell happens next.

I still think it was the side characters that stole the show in this book though. I adore the scenes with Packard, Shelby is someone I want to be friends with and Simon makes me laugh out loud constantly. The world of the Disillusionists is becoming more detailed, we get to find out more about the different kinds of abilities that HighCaps have and we see more of the history between Packard and Otto. There is a lot of bad blood between them but I don't trust Otto's version of events for a second and I think there is still a lot more to the story that we've yet to uncover. I have so many unanswered questions and I can't wait to get the answers.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2010
Double Cross is the second book in the Disillusionist trilogy by Carolyn Crane. Full of mystery, intrigue and plot twists galore. This book/series will keep you on your toes.

Justine is still adjusting to her new life as a disillusionist working for Packard who is currently free from his prison as long as his team of disillusionists work for Otto by disillusioning the high-cap criminals that are prisoner by his mind. On top of this, Justine is trying to have a normal relationship with Otto Sanchez, the Mayor of Midcity, when a new team of bad-ass high-cap resistant team start targeting high-caps trying to kill them. On top of all that, Justine has to deal with dream-dropping in on the one and only person she wishes to not be linked to.

Shelby, Carter and Simon make an exceptional return. We see another side of Shelby that is really sweet as I didn't think she had it in her what with her pessimistic attitude towards life and its' surroundings. I also just love her character as a whole as she is so funny with her dry wit humour. Carter is still as angry as ever and remind me to never get on the wrong side of him, that would be scary and very, very, life endangering. Simon is his same old usual self; constantly taking chances and trying to find ways to escape Packard's hold on him.

I absolutely adore his series by Mrs Crane. This book is full of suspense and there is enough action to keep you on your toe. Just when you think the suspense is coming to an end, wham, you are knocked out by a total and utter plot twist that you could never have seen coming a mile away and then it ends. It ends on such a killer cliff hanger that I physically wanted to throw the book at the wall and scream blue murder. Of course I didn't do that as I love my books but still, the cliff hanger has definitely got me sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the release of the untitled third and final book in the series. Hopefully my sanity will have returned and I will have the guts to read it to find out what else is in store for Justine and Co.

My favourite part of the book was near the end after the long and scintillating build up where Justine gets to be with the man of her dreams. But then that cliff hanger at the end just leaves you speechless and angry. Nevertheless, I still loved this book and have thoroughly enjoyed the series so far and now I am going to wondering what in store for the disillusionists in the third and final book of the series.
Overall, I would highly recommend this book and the series to any urban fantasy fans out there. If you haven't heard of these books already, then where on earth have you been living? Under a rock? In all seriousness, this book and its' series is writing like nothing else I have ever read. It has everything you could want from a book/series; awesome characters, a love triangle between the "good guy", "the bad guy" and the heroine, hard core criminals with supernaturalesque powers and a seriously amazing thrilling and suspenseful story line.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the wonderful Carolyn Crane herself for review. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2012
This is the second installment of the disillusionists trilogy where we see Justine and the team having to disillusion all the prisoners that Otto has so that they can be released. Janine and the mayor (Otto) are in a relationship but there is still a lot of tension around Packard who Justine feels betrayed by. There is a lot going on in this book and it has one hell of an ending - I could not sleep after it finished it was really really tense I was running about shouting at my kindle! I love Simon in this book - his sense of style and his recklessness and please I want a GUMPY for my car! can't wait for the next, and sadly, last in the series but am sure Ms Crane has lots of ideas and will soon have more for us to devour.