TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 April 2012
I bought a bag of this compost through a town store, because it was so light and easy to carry home when you don't have a car. I was hoping it was worth the price, which seemed high for such a small bag, but it said it would increase to 3 times the quantity when water was added.

On use, it does produce some fine dust when poured out of the bag, but this is overcome by using it outside and standing up wind!! The quantity of dust I found to be very small, in fact negligible. However if someone has asthma or other breathing difficulties this may be something to think about.

When I added water to the first 2 litre pot, it seemed to take ages to hydrate when I placed the pot in a container of water. So I decided to do larger quantities along with a hosepipe. I used an 18 litre trug, with a few holes in the bottom, and filled it to a third full with this compost. I then sprayed the compost with a fine jet of water and it began to expand, however there still appeared to be a lot of dry compost remaining underneath.

So I next buried the head of the hose in the middle of the compost and turned the water on. Hey presto, the compost began to expand at a rapid rate of knots, so I plunged the hose into the compost in different places and within a few minutes the compost had expanded to the size of the trug. I have used this method on 3 occasions now, burying the head of the hose in the compost and turning on the water. This appears to be the fastest and most efficient way to get the compost to hydrate.

I have not had any problem with the compost drying out and reverting to its original form. I have found if it dries, it responds like most other composts. It seperates from the edges of the container, looks a different colour etc, but the quantity does not diminish significantly.

So I find this very useful, being older and having no car. It is light to transport and easy to lift in order to fill plant pots. Hydrating the compost can be slow using the recommended method, however I found it easily done with a bit of thought and some experimentation. Problem solving does help keep the old grey cells working :-D
33 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2012
I have used the Miracle-Gro concentrated compost before, but in a smaller bag. This was just as easy to use. I needed to repot a large palm and had no problems. Best to put about 2 to 3 inches in the bottom, put in some tepid or warm water slowly then use a garden fork to make sure the water gets all the way through the compost. If you want to fill a large pot all the way to just below the rim, put in another 2 to 3 inches and follow the same procedure. It might be a bit drawn out but its the best way to make sure the water gets to all the compost. I have planted 3 lots of different flowers so will see how it goes.
on 13 March 2012
As it really does expand up to three times the small bag makes a lot of compost without me needing to carry heavier & inferior compost bags. I like the fact that it's 100% peat free so its good for the environment too. It really helped my back not having to carry watering cans so often as it really does hold moisture longer. I would recommend it to anyone as my plants are thriving!
on 6 June 2012
I love this soil,it takes up so little space in the shed and when it comes to using it,nothing could be simpler,just add water and mix.I will definitely use this again.
on 18 May 2012
I'll keep it brief, i expanded what i needed in a bucket -seemed easier due to drainage holes in my pots. for a peat free compost I have to say it has the best look and feel of all the peat free's I have tried. Plants seem to be doing well. Much easier to store, easier to buy in bulk, Got 8 bags in my car, if I bought 'normal' compost max my car can take is 3 :(

Great I can buy it on-line too, not many places deliver compost bought on-line :) nice one Amazon and Miracle-Gro.

M.Callaghan
on 10 June 2012
I live 6 floors up and have to carry things for my roof garden through my apartment. 50 litre bags of compost are a problem, even with a lift and I thought this would help.
Mixing it according to the instructions is very time consuming so I followed another reviewers lead and filled a bucket 1/3 full and then stuck the hose in the bottom of the bucket to let the water rise. This worked quite well and was easy. A bucket with a 1/3 compost, well mixed, expands to about 3/4 full. Allowing for the shape of the bucket this means that it is my experience that the Miracle-Gro does not expand three times, it expands approx two and a half times. This means that 18 litres of ready to use compost actually produces less than 45 litres, and 50 litres actually costs over £10!!! I have reverted to my previous method of buying several 20 litre bags of multi-purpose Miracle-Gro, each one weighs about the same as the expanding type, for £2.50 each (£5 for 2)at my local Haskins. The trouble of carrying more bags is much less than the time spent mixing the expanding compost a bucket at a time. This product would be ideal for indoor plants, i.e. used in small containers, and the self-sealing bag would be a big plus, but I think that the manufactures need to do more development and reduce the price for any other use.
on 24 June 2015
This bag was littered absolutely littered with Fungus Gnat eggs. These are a serious problem to eradicate in any plants but especially on indoor plants. They procreate on a cycle of larvae - eggs - flies. I have spent a fortune on trying to get rid of them as they had infected all of my houseplants many of which I have had for decades. 2 were an 18th birthday present & I am now 45. It has cost me a fortune on very specific pesticides to get rid them and over 6 months of treatment.... They lay their eggs very deeply into the roots and I have been hand picking out the eggs every 7 days, this has been extremely tedious. I also picked up a nasty chest infection from using so much pesticides. I was so shocked to find that when I re-ordered Miracle Gro it was infested with the Fungus Gnat eggs that the penny dropped as to where I had got them from in the first place. Furious doesn't come close, not what I expected from such a well known brand. When I looked this up on the internet it appears that many people globally have had the same infestation from Miracle-Gro... So so so offended by this product. 24th June 2015.
review image review image
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2012
The compost has gone a long way so far, so perfect for me in my tiny house and garden situation. Its lightweight compared to other compost bags in a resealable bag so ok to store outside, away from my childrens prying hands. I used it mainly in peat pots, and found it was easier to mix evenly if i sprayed the pot first with water and added a bit of compost at a time, spraying with water (from a pressured water gun) and stirring with a fork, then added my plant plugs and covered with a little more exand-n-grow (leaving about 0.5" from the top of the pot for expansion)and finally watering in. plants have loved it, sunflowers growing lovely and tall and cuttings doing very well. i am however a first time gardner so where more experienced gardners may have their quibbles ,i ,however, am very happy :)
on 27 June 2014
I hydrated it to start with and filled my hanging baskets , planted up.
All went OK until a drying day - now it will NOT hydrate, am losing all my plants and will have to replace this really AWFUL compost with a 'normal' one.
YES it LOOKED really great - light to handle etc. but THINK IT THROUGH .................
I didn't and now I pay the price - DO NOT GET CAUGHT OUT this product CANNOT work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 8 August 2014
I have used Miracle-Gro for gardening most of my life (I'm in my 50s now) and the products I have had no problems with until now. Bag turned up fast enough but no idea what was wrong with it. After adding water as instructed the end product fitted back into the bag -certainly not the amount indicated. I used 5 coiar blocks (each 10ltr) the same day that should have equalled the amount promised by Miracle-Gro but in fact exceeded Miracle-Gro which did not give the 50 ltres. Odd. Very disappointed.