Top positive review
15 people found this helpful
... been gardening for 20 years and this is very good stuff, if you can use it in the ...
on 27 May 2015
I've been gardening for 20 years and this is very good stuff, if you can use it in the right way. Let me list the pros and cons:
* Extremely lightweight - even when fully hydrated. This makes carrying pots easier and easy to carry the compost bags around.
* Excellent for free draining plants. If you're looking for a free draining compost then this is perfect.
* Has excellent moisture retention to weight ratio. It holds a fair amount of water without getting waterlogged
* Hard to compact. It's hard to overfill or compress soil when potting although you can 'press' this soil a bit to make it denser if required.
* Attractive - the reddish colour looks great on many plants.
* Indicative - The compost drying is easy to see - and whether this is surface or deeper. This is quite handy for me and really helps.
* Can't overwater - it's impossible to over water with this stuff.
* It really does inflate - it's so light to handle and easy to take to where I'm working.
* Stuff grows well - growth is impressive so far!
* Takes watering - it doesn't move around when spraying or watering - which is a nice side benefit - it's sticks together well when wetted so doesn't run or move to one side of the pot easily.
* Whilst it's good and has decent moisture retention, it can dry out faster than say a John Innes, Garden Soil or Multi-Purpose that has soil content. If you're used to fibre composts or you mix this kind of stuff with soil or John Innes - it's a great tool.
* You need to make sure it's properly hydrated and mixed - no chucking it in a bucket and spraying it with water. If you don't mix it well, you get dry bits and lumps in the mix.
* If you've got a thirsty plant or require a soil that's not as free draining - mix this with soil, John Innes or other compost. You just need to match this compost (or your mix) correctly for the plant. I can see some people getting hacked off this dries out too quickly and if so, change the soil type to better match the plant.