Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 10 January 2017
I was able to continue plodding on reading this book until page 136. but put up with it for another 50 pages and then used it to light my fire! (I refuse to help to promote this guy's books to others)

Point 1.. the "hero" magically accessed his murdered brother's computer without knowing the passwords (p. 136)...he was even able to access all his emails etc., again without needing passwords...REALLY !!

Point 2.....the police had previously taken the dead brother's computer "in" for analysis but later they released it to his brother, our hero. I assume they had found nothing of importance.

BUT, our hero did....enough to send him off to Berlin and to continue his investigation.

Point 3.....the last straw was p.187 where our hero's house is broken into at 03.30 and two men re-enact the murder !!!! then they run away. Our hero calls the detective immediately but is told because nothing was taken, there was no assault the police were not interested....REALLY....(the house where a brutal murder had taken place)
Don't waste your money on this drivel...amateurish writing, unbelievable story, and ignore ALL those stars above one star....if ANY book were deserved a minus rating this would be IT...!!
on 28 September 2017
Great read.
on 30 November 2011
Downloaded the sample first and was hooked. Immediately downloaded full book and couldn't put it down. If you've recently visited Berlin as I have, the book is great for following in the lead character's footsteps as you know the places he goes to- especially his description of landing at Schonefeld airport and going to the train station. It's a fast paced book that I finished quickly. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to reading others by this author. Can't believe no one else has done a review yet!
on 19 November 2013
'It's because i know, that's the whole point. I thought i loved you before, but really i just loved an idea of you, a fantasy. Now, though, after everything that's happened, you're completely real to me'.

Great novels i believe can penetrate one's mind, emotion and leave one with a feeling of permanent adrenalin. Blood Relative demonstrates each and everyone of these features and takes one on a journey to be remembered. Whilst murder and a husbands desire to seek the truth formulates the basis of the novel it is the intricate details of discoveries along the way that one becomes enchanted by. The unraveling of a women who appears to have a simple faultless life into a troubled concealed past leaves one transfixed and forever foraging for more with each turn of the page.

Peter Crookham arrives home and discovers his brother murdered in an apparent open and shut case by that of his wife. Following the incident his wife is placed in a hospital for the mentally ill and Peter against all advice vows to get to the bottom of it and in doing so sets off a chain reaction of investigation that delves into a women's troubled past within the former Communist controlled section of Berlin. Desiring the truth and determined to obtain some answers he will not only embark upon a journey to salvage his wife's life but also his own.
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2015
I was impressed by David Thomas's "Ostland", so I purchased this book hoping for more of the same. I was pleased to find out that "Blood Relative" was almost as good. It is a satisfying murder mystery set in Yorkshire and Berlin. Our hero is an architect who returns home to find out that his wife has just murdered his brother for no apparent reason. His wife is put into psychiatric care and the architect then tries to figure out why she did it. His search leads him to Berlin and he finds out that there is a lot more to his wife than meets the eye. His investigations bring him into danger however from unpleasant people who wants secrets from the East German Communist era to stay hidden. This book is well written,but not literature and it is quite pacy and exciting. Suspense and mystery are maintained throughout and the book feels well researched and authentic. Not as good as "Ostland" but still a pretty good read.
on 17 October 2015
Set in England and Berlin. Peter Crookham arrives home to find his young German wife Marianne covered in blood and his brother murdered. Peter’s world is turned upside down as he attempts to prove his wife’s innocence and unveils a past that he knew nothing about.

David Thomas’s book is a fascinating tale of paranoia, suspicion and the darkest side of the former East Germany

I was drawn to this book by the East Germany and East Berlin story line which doesn’t really figure until the latter portions of the book, but David Thomas’s description of a husband desperate to defend his wife and beset by doubt about all he has been told holds the reader’s attention throughout.

David Thomas has researched his subject and his description of the tour of the Stasi Remand prison at Hohenschönhausen reminded me of the chilling tour I had.

Overall a good gripping thriller.
on 29 October 2012
I enjoyed this book! I found it fast paced and read it in a couple of sittings because I didn't want to put it down. I liked that it was written in the first person, made a nice change for me. I thought the characters were well written and the storyline interesting!
on 16 November 2015
Really quite poor: wooden characters, ridiculous plot, rushed ending. Quercus really need to get a better editor: typos throughout and there was hardly a German word used or spelt correctly in the whole book. One star for potentially interesting subject matter only.
on 15 November 2015
I had high hopes for this novel – its preview sounded intriguing, and I thought Ostland was fantastic. Sadly, though a good yarn, it got increasingly disappointing. The credibility of the storyline got stretched so much that I lost most of my interest. A Computer that was conveniently devoid of any passwords, the unlikely scene at the Psychiatry Hospital, the crassness of the hero in Berlin, the baddie with no gun exposing himself at the end – as if, the “nice” ending. Shame, but I will certainly try some of his books written under his pseudonym.
on 19 July 2013
Well-written and lots of action,much of it set in Berlin (the rest is in Yorkshire, yay!) The protagonist's search for a reason why his wife killed his brother takes him into the murky world of the Stasi and the hideous crimes carried out by the East German state as recently as the 80s.There are some gaps - it's a bit TOO difficult to get to know what the villain is up to until the last minute and I was left looking back through the book to see if there were any clues I'd missed. But all in all a good read, and I'd recommend it.