on 1 September 2015
As it happens in big films, with big moments come also less big ones.
It is an important film, that covers the most important figure and moment in black people history.
It is a cinematically rich film, where Spike adopts his most personal technique and touch to tell a almost Hollywoodian biopic.
And it is maybe the first time he meets and challenges a big Studios production, and partially embrace its language and storytelling standards.
Malcolm X has the grandeur that people like, in order to make it watchable and enjoyable to a wider audience, with inserts that come from independent cinema and from radical political views. Basically, Spike adopted Malcolm's strategy: "by any means necessary".
So we end up loving Malcolm, no matter if we were already on his side. Spike get through to us and shows us the man behind the persona, the mistakes and the long journey that took him to a rethink his life, through that captivating and understandable style, through a really inspired Denzel Washington, who seems very committed into his role, and through some powerful scenes that keep our focus on the unfolding story, to the point that we forgive the director for the excessive duration of the film (some scene, especially in the first half, could be shorter or called off).
The blu ray and the extra are excellent
on 30 January 2014
This is one of the all time great performances and portrayals of a historical figure by a young Denzel Washington. Denzel is simply immense in this film, and this surely must rank amongst his greatest ever performances. He excellently portrays the life of a truly remarkable and fascinating figure in Malcolm X, going into real detail and giving the viewer a real insight into his life and time period. I would recommend this as essential viewing to anyone interested in Malcolm X, and particularly any students studying this area of Civil Rights, it really will provide a great overview of this period and plenty of detail around the key moments in the life of Malcolm X.
on 24 August 2012
The film captures Mr. X's childhood, adolescence and then growing up to be a man and becoming more mature and open-minded. It's a shame he died at such a young age, leaving behind 4 little girls and a wife who was pregnant with twins. It is also a shame that many and I mean the press in particular, still to this day and onwards, label him as a "hate-monger". Now, the fact is that only those that are ignorant enough are blinded by the lying dogs. I will say no more about the film but if you have read about Malcolm X, and want to see a refreshing image of him, then this film delivers just that. I'll end my review with what brother Malcolm X said at the end of his autobiography, "To come right down to it, if I take the kind of things in which I believe, then add to that the kind of temperament that I have, plus the one hundred per cent dedication that I have to whatever I believe in - these are ingredients which make it just about impossible for me to die of old age ... I know that societies have often killed the people who have helped to change those societies. And if I can die having brought any light, having exposed any meaningful truth that will help to destroy the racist cancer that is malignant in America - then, all of the credit is due to Allah. Only the mistakes have been mine."
on 10 September 2016
Great movie in which you view the early life of Malcolm x prior to his conversion to Islam. The coverage of his earlier years in terms of his degenerative social activities and crimes committed by young Malcolm was very captivating; prior to his transformation, after he accepted Islam and embarked upon his new path before he rallies for change for black America. A must watch for those not too familiar with the late revolutionary national leader.
on 5 July 2017
I've been wanting to watch malcolm X since seeing a production diary on Film91 with Barry Norman! I enjoyed this thoroughly from start to finish - spike lee has made a marvellous insight into the world of this revolutionary and revolutionary period.
on 3 December 2015
I waited long before watching this movie because I didn't want the movie to change my positive impression of the autobiography by Alex Haley. I am pleassd that I read the book before watching the movie. There are many detailed descpriptions in the book that explaines the environment and the era of Malcolm X. The spiritual journey that Malcolm goes through is so simplified that it feels as if he was an "easy target" and easily influenced by one man's words (the inmate in prison). I strongly recommend reading the book before watching the film, simply because films can't compete with books when it comes to portraying a character. Denzel's interpretation of Malcolm is extraordinary! Such a great actor. Hard to believe he did this role early on in his carrier.
on 20 February 2018
Such an important story. This has made me want to read more about Malcolm X and I've realised how misinformed I was before.
on 14 April 2014
I had read his auto-biog so wondered how Denzel would do in this part. And he did good I thought. It is interesting as if you then read the biog by Frank Lucas (the main character in the film American Gangster) you see that the lives of the 2 people cross. Get the Malcolm X film, get American Gangsta film and read Frank's book.
on 7 July 2015
This is the gritty message at the heart of Black awareness in the US. Malclom X has been misrepresented by history and Denzel Washington goes some way to reveal the man behind the myth. What a performance !
on 3 January 2018
" We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. The rock was landed on us. "