1,497
Colour: Black|Change

on 11 November 2016
Bought, used twice, then replaced with a smaller lighter Kryptonite Messenger lock, which has a higher security rating, and is half the weight. Not to say this is a bad lock, there’s just better option around that are more suitable. Just took some real life usage to realise that I could easily get away with a much smaller lock.

With bike locks the smaller you can get away with the better as it allows thief’s less room to work with to remove the lock. Also your bike will move around less if it gets knocked when secured. I sign up to the "Lock Strategy - Sheldon Brown" method, which I think someone else here has mentioned. Locking it around the rear wheel, in the rear triangle of the frame, and around other bikes where possible; safety in numbers.

Matched with some security skewers and my bike is safe and secure around Southampton. I will use this as a backup lock, or to secure my bike somewhere in addition to my other lock if I plan on leaving it anywhere for any significant time. The cable I found pretty useless, and left it at home after the 1st use. Therefore I would recommend the Messenger lock over this in every way, for little to no-more money, and more piece of mind.
This is a well reviewed item so just to add my two pennies worth . . .

I've been using this lock set up for over a year now around the streets of Liverpool and beyond . . .

I've got a few bikes but use a fixie for local travel upto ten miles which includes going into Liverpool city centre. I've locked my bike up many a time and had no issues whatsoever.

The lock works a treat - no stiffness opening and closing. The steel cable as well as the main lock just makes this a nightmare for any would be bike robbing bleeping bleep!

Highly recommended indeed.
on 16 December 2016
Great value if you need the included cable.
The total weight is a lot for everyday use and the cable is awkward to carry.
The key action takes some getting used to.
I have put a spot of Vaseline (grease) under the keyhole cover - I think this will keep most rainwater out.
on 10 October 2016
Lock seems decent, but the mounting to attach it to the frame of the bike is pretty awful. The mechanism for releasing the lock from the mount feels like cheap plastic and I'd be worried about it bending and softening over time to the point I couldnt release the lock. As it is I had a difficult time of it and it's brand new! So frame mounting is in the bin, and the lock is looped through my frame pannier bag.

A couple of reviews mentioned the lock seizing up where the key goes, I found the key to work perfectly, even a little loose to be honest. Cant see this seizing, but given the experience with the mounting I guess it might be a possibility.
review image
on 3 December 2014
The first lock I'd ordered went wrong just over a month after the purchase (the key got stuck in the lock and it ceased to open),

Despite receiving a defective item and being outside of the 30 day money back guarantee the seller was happy to send out another the very same day of enquiring.

The new lock is as smooth to open as it is to cut through butter with a hot knife, very sturdily build and would deter most thieves.

The kryptoflex cable is good and secures the front wheel and fork to the lock. At most if someone were determined to try and steal my bike; they could cut the cable and make off with my forks and wheel.
on 16 March 2016
Arrived today, earlier than expected and was in perfect condiiton.

The bracket is included, which isnt exactly stated on the description but in other reviews and questions/answers you will see tha it is included, but would have been nice to see that on the description.

Instructions and equipment all intact and easy to assemble the bracket onto the bike, after a few attempts. But there is plenty of youtube videos to help you.

This purchase gives you Anti-Theft cover from Kryptonite. All you have to do is register the purchase on the Kryptonite website and it is FREE of charge to do so. Giving you 1 year of cover against theft.

Considering the make and model, this price was very shocking (in a good way). My expectations of this sort of lock, of this calibre and strength would be much more expensive. I would totally recommend this product. The only thing i would not recommend is going into a local bike shop and buying their D/U locks, as I think you will be ripped off.

It has a flat/square key included for this lock, so do not fret in regards to the reent findings of the round key locks being highly alble to be broken into with a "bic pen" as seen on youtube. You don't and shouldnt have this problem with this lock.

The cable, in my opinion, is much too short, isnt the best length to go through the bike, wheel and onto a bike rack for ectra security. A longer cable is definitely required for that extra security.

Feels very strong and durable. Rather heavy but that should be seen as a good thing! Quite impressed.
on 21 March 2016
I hate using this lock. The lock constantly jams.
I'm leaving this review because there are so many positive reviews which give an inaccurate user experience. Over the past I have alternated between this lock and a simple combination lock and every time I opt for the krytonite lock I'm always reminded how frustrating it is to lock it.
D locks are a good idea, just try a different one.
on 1 April 2015
This is a good combined set. I feel like my bike is secure when I use both the dlock and the cable. Its generally easy to use and the flex cable is a good length. Depending on where I lock it sometimes I can fit the flex through the back and front wheels without releasing one. The lock is a bit heavy but all Dlocks are, plus it gives me confidence in it. It comes with a bracket to attach to your bike. It wont actually fit in the space on my bike which is a shame so at the moment I carry it around in my backpack. You get two keys which is good. So far it has worked well.
A few points to note; Firstly when you unlock the Dlock the end does drop off unless you hold it. About the second time I used it it hit my foot and was pretty painful! I can be rather clumsy though. Second, I locked my bike to a friends recently as we locked her bike to a post you could probably lift the lock off. This way the bikes were secure. When we came to unlock this lock it would not unlock. It took a long time to shake and keep trying to align the lock with the key to get it to unlock which was quite worrying.
I have used this for about 4 months now and only one occasion has it played up. Overall a good all round product at a reasonable price.
on 26 September 2016
Bike has not been nicked yet so I guess it is doing it's job. Fingers crossed! (Fun thing to do: look at 1 star reviews for bike locks. Poor people though.)

Anyway, I like the fact there is a cover for the lock so it's harder for rain to get in. After much practice I think I have found the best way to lock the bike up. I thread the wire through the front wheel and then back through its own loop. Then i take the end of the wire and put the d lock through the loop, my frame and backwheel, and a post. Then I lock it up. The D lock is just long enough to do this with a bit of fiddling, though this may depend on your bike. But I wouldn't get one any shorter. This effectively locks my frame and back wheel leaving my front wheel available only to someone with bolt cutters. But I don't think it gets much safer.

Watch some videos on youtube showing how to lock bikes up, you can get some good tips.

I previously was using the kryptonite keeper 12 but found it got a little jammed and more difficult to open as time went on. I have had no such problems with this kryptonite lock and it opens as easily as when I bought it.

There is an attachment so you can fix the lock to the bike but I've never really figured this out and it feels a little clunky. So i tend to either shove it in my back pack or hook it around my handlebars for short journeys.

It is however, a little heavy, so if you a feeling confident maybe go for something lighter.
on 12 January 2017
Seems sturdy, and my bike hasn't been stolen yet which is always a plus. The included bracket is a definite point in its favour, although it's a bit of a pain to install and the instructions include dire warnings about using the provided Allen key instead of a torque wrench. I don't seem to have crumpled my bike frame, but I did end up with the rubber strip (which you have to cut to size) not properly aligned with the body of the bracket. You are also supposed to flame the end of the fabric (you also have to cut it to size) to stop it fraying.

There are two bigger issues for which I've knocked stars off: there is what looks like corrosion visible now on the parts of the lock that you insert into the straight piece. It doesn't look very serious but seems to indicate that it's not properly weatherproof. The other issue is that sometimes it is possible to remove the key having only turned it about half-way. If you do this it then becomes quite difficult to re-insert the key. I'm not sure what happens but you have to jiggle it around a lot to get it to go in properly.