on 23 November 2013
This is great, until the end - which isn't there .... it fades out just before the final notes!!! Really disappointed -- I know it's a cheap price, but I still feel short-changed! I thought I was buying the complete work.
on 19 August 2015
An old recording but so clear! For me it captures the thrill of taking part in a performance - you feel like you are sitting right in the middle of the orchestra. Yes it is a bit slow in places, but I think that this often adds to the intensity, and you really can hear every note. These players are the best, and the conductor is a legend.
This would be a recording I would also recommend to students studying the composition.
on 5 January 2013
This recording dates from 1960 but the sound is as good as (or better than) most more modern recordings. It is quite astonishingly full & detailed, and you really do get the sense of sitting up close to the orchestra and hearing each and every line of the music. For me, the performance itself is rather slow in much of both halves & loses some of the drama because of it, but it is nevertheless well-worth hearing and having. And at 69p it would be ridiculous not to buy it - you won't regret it.
on 24 February 2013
I suppose over the years I must have heard over 50 different performances of the Rite - never have I heard one which surpasses this in its conception, execution or recording.
This is a genuinely astonishing performance!
And the recording is surely one of the best ever recordings of a large orchestra - vivid in its clarity and truthful in its depth.
And all for the price of half a cup of coffee!
Yes - indeed - just buy it!
on 15 June 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this version of one of my favourite pieces of music although in places I found the tempi a little too pedestrian compared to other versions I enjoy (eg. Gergiev).
on 14 February 2015