Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 March 2014
at first glance, it's ok, the Federal singles and...but look again: many instrumental tracks factor in, which this dedicated JB fan (from 1966) has never heard.

look again (again): Ed Sullivan appearances plus Soul Train stuff from the '70s. on the latter, enjoy the Fred Wesley led JBs backing up a fired up superstar, going deep on oldies and newies, never once letting the temperature drop - but put the kids to bed (he means business).
on 14 June 2014
I received this 4CD James Brown set in sealed condition. The 4th disc in the set has the correct James Brown information printed on it, but the music is actually a compilation of Jazz musician Bix Beiderbecke. This is obviously a manufacturing defect which must have happened to a whole batch, not just my set. Watch out and check straight away upon receiving your order.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is four CD set containing a five albums plus a lot of extras including live tracks.

The five albums are
Please Please Please,
Try Me,
Think,
The Amazing James Brown and
James Brown Presents His Band.

I wanted to know what's on the CDs but Amazon do not list them so I hope this is of use to people thinking of buying the set.
If you see any mistakes or typos just add a comment and I will correct it.

This is the track Listing

16 I Got You (I Feel Good) -
17 Bewildered -
18 I'll Never Never -
on 3 October 2013
Soul brother #1...Godfather of funk...most sampled artist...JB's career was much longer than that,seeing Elvis,the Beatles and Motown come and go.His entry in this artist series of 4CD "pub-dom" material is heavy on the tracks he and his well drilled band posted on the way to legendary status as the most dynamic and theatrical exponents of the 50's R&B revue format.Danceability was already a key element of the JB oeuvre,and with instrumental records enjoying regular chart placings it was no surprise the Brown band would hit in their own right.In the U.K.only a few non-promoted singles slipped out,nevertheless many of the tracks featured here went on to become faves with mod clubbers/bands.
If you like this period JB and don't have the "Roots of a revolution" CD this is a good value-for-money entry (with a few rarities)but it could have been better.This series has a high standard but we are still talking budget level costings.Even so,trouble is being courted with a strapline "Digitally remastered and enhanced for superior quality" when one of the tracks sounds like it was recorded off the P.A.at a national autogiro meet.This we could accept if a genuine rarity...like a duet with Spiro Agnew on "Gone Fishin'" or some such...but the track is "Dancin' little thing",available in clear mono on several CD's yet virtually unlistenable here.Keeping costs down can never validate not even bothering to check the masters before pressing !
This release was delayed several times...maybe to effect clearance on the early 70's mono tracks from TV's Soul Train appearances.Without the visuals these are just artefacts...if you wanna hear these toons they're all done better elsewhere...but why are they on here anyway when the 1962 copyright cut off allowed inclusion of the first legendary Live at the Apollo LP ? This was JB's chitlin' ceiling breakthrough and the natural tenant for the fourth CD...and even the breakthrough US top 20 hit "Prisoner of love" appears only as a medley segment from a much later Ed Sullivan show...and finally chaps,if you run to a second pressing how about slipping in a relevant process/mohair suit cover shot? The topless zip-up catsuit does not dovetail with most of this great music.
on 12 January 2015
james brown , from the early years , upto the 1970s where his more funky stuff kicks in , great cds to own , if your a funk head or you like james brown , the master of funk
on 6 May 2016
This is rare JB and real gutsy raw R&B / Soul from the heart. I urge those who think today's R&B is 'the real thing' to hear a few tracks from this.
on 27 January 2016
Greta collection of music
on 7 March 2015
Disc 2 and 4 carry the music of Bix Beiderbecke (although James Brown's name is printed on the disc).
on 8 October 2015
some good some not so good hit and miss
on 4 August 2014